IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Train car park Indigo parking fine

Options
Hi all, would appreciate some advice.

I used to park at the station all the time and paid online using meteors site and never had an issue.

After a long break I parked this morning at paddock wood station and used the online service which has now changed and isn't as easy to use. Seemingly run by indigo.

I bought my ticket and went off to London. It cost £5.10

When I got back I had a charge notice, and thinking it was a computer error I instantly appealed sending my email confirmation and a photo of the notice to the customer services.

However looking deeper it seems I bought a day off peak ticket priced at 5.10 instead of a day ticket at 5.60.
£60 for a 50p difference seems unfair and im aggrieved about the booking process I saw day and as it was pre-filled I just added it to the booking, I didn't even realise there was an off-peak ticket, and at 5.10 that looked right.

I've seen some posts about appealing but it confused me a little.

Any advice on my options, should I just pay the £60 and be done with it? Or is there abetter approach.

Thanks

Andy.

Comments

• AltheHibby
    AltheHibby Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't even think about paying. Read the newbie threads and ask some questions afterwards. The experts on the forum will be able to guide you then.
  • BIGANDYT
    BIGANDYT Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 15 March 2016 at 10:31PM
    Options
    Thanks, I had a read and got a bit confused, I'm not sure how it fits as I paid the ticket as I thought I needed to, but the website pre-selected in a drop down an off peak ticket during a peak time and the difference is just 60p. Hopefully someone could advise what I should do in this situation as a next step. I haven't appealed as such, I just said I bought a ticket and could they cancel the fine as it must be s computer error, but since then I've realised the ticket was an off peak one not peak. I get it's my fault but £60 for a 60p difference and clear intent to comply is surely jnfair right?

Thanks Andy
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you mean you paid the parking ticket, then asking anything else is just wasting our time.

You got taken for a mug!
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    If you mean you paid the parking ticket, then asking anything else is just wasting our time.

You got taken for a mug!
    I think you will find that he paid for a ticket to park but has discovered that he purchased the wrong type of ticket to park which differs in price by all of 60p.

He then received a PCN and is asking for advice as to how to deal with it.

@BIGANDYT - Is there any mention of Railway Byelaws on the PCN?
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • BIGANDYT
    Options
    Hi you are correct I haven't paid a fine, I just bought a ticket online just the wrong one.

Yes it mentions railway byelaw 14.

This car park is regulated by the terms and conditions of parking displayed at the car park in accordance with rail byelaw 14. By entering the car park you have agreed and are contracted to be legally bound by those terms and conditions.

The breach code is 1 - failing to display a valid ticket or voucher.

Thanks for your help
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The advice in the NEWBIES thread fits this too. No different, that's why there's a one-size-fits-all template.
    I parked this morning at paddock wood station and used the online service
    As the car parking was paid for online one appeal point of many at POPLA stage can be evidence that this contravention occurred: 'failing to display a valid ticket or voucher' as there is no voucher to display, presumably.

However at POPLA stage there is much more, such as no NTK of course = no keeper liability because the keeper appealed and the driver has not been identified. THat's the entire point of appealing as keeper around day 22 (if posting the appeal) or day 26 if it can be appealed online/by email, which is the best choice.

And no landowner authority.

But that's all for POPLA stage so we'll cross that bridge later.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Dublindel
    Dublindel Posts: 406 Forumite
    Options
    This is not relevant land and needs to be dealt with by the train company. POPLA shouldhave no Iinvolvement in this.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yep but it is offered on the PCNs I believe. The OP can confirm.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • BIGANDYT
    Options
    Hi there, on the back it says if I appeal within 28 days it can be referred to popla if the parking operator rejects the appeal subject to the land owners t&cs.
    So are next steps to send an appeal to indigo parking and see if the reject it, if so would appreciate guidance as to what to put in the appeal.

Thanks for the help , Andy.
  • BIGANDYT
    Options
    Or should I phone se trains who I guess own the land.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure