Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    • 61,883Posts
    • 124,626Thanks
    torbrex
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*
    • 17th Jan 16, 10:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please* 17th Jan 16 at 10:59 AM
    The old thread can be found here.

Please use this new thread to report any good finds in the Discount stores Aldi & Lidl.
    You can also report any not so good deals as a warning to others.

The Stollen bites and other xmas food was being given away FREE in my local Lidl this morning, plenty left and they want it shifted by next week.
Page 125
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 14th Nov 18, 8:16 PM
    • 8,030 Posts
    • 4,762 Thanks
    buglawton
    Lidl has stopped pretending it sells organic eggs (haven't seen any there for a year), removed the shelf label and filled the space with normal eggs.
    • RainbowDrops
    • By RainbowDrops 15th Nov 18, 8:03 AM
    • 4,530 Posts
    • 4,910 Thanks
    RainbowDrops
    Lidl seems to have gone to town on their gin selection btw. Some interesting new flavours on sale, just thinking about it gives me a hangover
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    They had a "Gin event" recently, so it'll probably be limited stock.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 15th Nov 18, 8:04 AM
    • 8,030 Posts
    • 4,762 Thanks
    buglawton
    Aldi Natures Choice Easy Peeler satsumas in net bag. From presentable in shop to green and mouldy at home within 4 days.

Avoid.
    • Joan Number 1
    • By Joan Number 1 15th Nov 18, 11:42 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Joan Number 1
    Aldi Natures Choice Easy Peeler satsumas in net bag. From presentable in shop to green and mouldy at home within 4 days.

Avoid.
    Originally posted by buglawton
    I avoid fruit & veg from Lidl completely since the melons I bought started to rot before they ripened, also their spuds & carrots turn quickly too.

Their frozen Steakhouse Fries 1.5kg / 99p are very good if a little "bitty".
    Last edited by Joan Number 1; 15-11-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 15th Nov 18, 12:10 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    PLRFD
    I avoid fruit & veg from Lidl completely since the melons I bought started to rot before they ripened, also their spuds & carrots turn quickly too..
    Originally posted by Joan Number 1
    Couldnít agree more about the veg.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 15th Nov 18, 5:00 PM
    • 6,818 Posts
    • 19,703 Thanks
    Doc N
    Just a little warning about any Lidl Warren & Sons P‚tes carrying use by dates of 25/12/19 or no date at all:

https://www.food.gov.uk/news-alerts/alert/fsa-prin-56-2018

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/fsa-alerts-files/production/FSA-PRIN-56-2018/FSA-PRIN-56-2018-Lidl-recalls-three-varieties-of-its-Warren-Sons-Pates-due-to-incorrect-date-labelling.pdf
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 18th Nov 18, 3:06 PM
    • 27,038 Posts
    • 113,487 Thanks
    candygirl
    The Aldi Mistik air freshener sprays stop working, really quickly.I've tried all sorts but no go
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 18th Nov 18, 4:26 PM
    • 6,468 Posts
    • 4,122 Thanks
    Ken68
    Can't fault the huge cauliflower I got from Lidl on Saturday. 59p. 8 meals.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 18th Nov 18, 4:44 PM
    • 27,474 Posts
    • 58,607 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Can't fault the huge cauliflower I got from Lidl on Saturday. 59p. 8 meals.
    Originally posted by Ken68
    Wow. There were tiddlers in my store so I stuck to the butternut squash. I wasn't complaining as I picked up the Christmas promotion with the voucher inside.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • maman
    • By maman 18th Nov 18, 6:45 PM
    • 19,057 Posts
    • 114,187 Thanks
    maman
    Couldnít agree more about the veg.
    Originally posted by PLRFD
    That's often said but how long since you tried. There have been occasions but since they started putting sell by dates clearly on the packaging most of the time it's fine.
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 18th Nov 18, 7:20 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 782 Thanks
    PLRFD
    Just this week carrots lasted 3 days.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 18th Nov 18, 9:24 PM
    • 7,366 Posts
    • 31,954 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Thursday 22nd November, Aldi have a 3D printer for £299.99. Still have no idea how these things work.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • maman
    • By maman 19th Nov 18, 1:54 PM
    • 19,057 Posts
    • 114,187 Thanks
    maman
    Just this week carrots lasted 3 days.
    Originally posted by PLRFD
    That's surprising. Mine from Friday are still fine. If it's not too far I'd take it up with the store as I find their attitude to customers very good.
    • FusionFury
    • By FusionFury 23rd Nov 18, 1:46 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    FusionFury
    Aldi Red Leicester Cheese Block - Not Fit For Purpose?
    It might be just me but everytime I purchase my weekly Red Leicester Cheese from Aldi it is almost like it has been frozen as when I try to grate it then it breaks up etc which makes it impossible to grate. I got some Red Leicester from co-op the other day (more expensive) and that was fine I never had it breaking up when I was grating etc.. so I'm gonna change Cheese supplier.

Has anyone else found Aldi Red Leicester to be not fit for purpose?
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 23rd Nov 18, 2:37 PM
    • 27,038 Posts
    • 113,487 Thanks
    candygirl
    There's been no EE grated cheese in my ALDI for weeks Mind you the Cathedral City copy is gorg
    Never had a problem with any fruit n veg from ALDI
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 23rd Nov 18, 7:18 PM
    • 27,474 Posts
    • 58,607 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I wasn't complaining as I picked up the Christmas promotion with the voucher inside.
    I went into the larger Lidl in town earlier, and OMG it was an unholy mess, it was merchandising turned manic! I'd planned to do a big shop to cover the store cupboard items for the next 5 weeks but half the stuff was missing. And the satsumas on offer were on the turn. I would struggle to spend £40 in there today.

Popped into Aldi instead to pick up some goodies for a family celebration, which was so much nicer. I can recommend the almond butter.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • desdemona01
    • By desdemona01 23rd Nov 18, 7:28 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    desdemona01
    The frozen Argentinian prawns in Lidl were VERY disappointing. Don’t bother buying them.
    • Crisps87
    • By Crisps87 28th Nov 18, 10:22 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Crisps87
    Aldi do a new gingerbread cake as part of their Christmas range, itís with the mince pies etc etc and it is absolutely delicious. Iíve had 3 of them already! I was disappointed with the £3.99 giant mince pie though. Thought it was expensive for what it was. I also have picked up my Christmas gift bags and boxes from Aldi this year too. A lifesaver for me as I canít wrap fo save my life! Iím addicted to their stollen too! *loosens belt*
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 28th Nov 18, 10:34 PM
    • 11,273 Posts
    • 12,094 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Based on the Christmas recommendations above, I've now tried both the large Lebkucken (6 for 69p) and the Lebkucken Hearts (bag for 99p) both from Aldi. Although quite different from each other, they are both delicious in their own way. The large rounds have a curious combination of soft sponge and slight crispiness, whilst the smaller hearts are soft and melty with an apricot filling.

Thanks for the recommendations - I will need to get some more now.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 28-11-2018 at 10:37 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • maman
    • By maman 28th Nov 18, 10:55 PM
    • 19,057 Posts
    • 114,187 Thanks
    maman
    I went into the larger Lidl in town earlier, and OMG it was an unholy mess, it was merchandising turned manic! I'd planned to do a big shop to cover the store cupboard items for the next 5 weeks but half the stuff was missing. And the satsumas on offer were on the turn. I would struggle to spend £40 in there today.

Popped into Aldi instead to pick up some goodies for a family celebration, which was so much nicer. I can recommend the almond butter.
    My usual problem with Lidl is that there are always queues at the checkout. I only go there rarely to stock up on cornichons and DH's favourite muesli. I had 2x £5 vouchers recently and found it hard to find £60 of items better than Aldi. I ended up with a stock of washing and dishwasher stuff.

Shock horror when I went to Aldi last week and they had queues at the checkout and several desks closed. That just never happens. I do hope it was a one off.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

565Posts Today

5,781Users online

Martin's Twitter