Student Support Centre

Options

Comments

• Stubert
    Stubert Posts: 733 Forumite
    Options
    I’ve used the SSC programme for a couple of years now and I’m very pleased with the service and products they’ve provided. The programme does cost money, but over the years I definitely think it’s cheaper than a tutor. The course has really improved my children’s grades and they enjoy doing the exercises.
    The SSC explained all the costs to me and how much I’d be paying and for how long etc based on what would work for our budget. I was able to read everything through fully before committing myself to it – I didn’t feel pressurised to sign before understanding everything.
    People do have different opinions, but I’m happy with the service I received. I think its a very valuable learning tool and will certainly be putting my next child through it (when she can read!)

This reeks of someone from the company posting it, especially as its looks like it was copied and pasted!

Practically signing up your child even before you know how good they are at English and Maths seems a little daft.
  • torrier
    torrier Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I read the thread on the Student Support Centre as we were considering their programme for our 6 year old son. We met our local sales rep this morning who went through the programme. We're not going ahead, but I thought I would add my comments based on our experience.

The sales approach we received was quite emotive and slightly misleading, but not aggressive. I challenged the person from SSC about this £3.5k and 4 year contract which is mentioned earlier in this thread, and as far as I can see this simply isn't the case. There's no doubt, it's an expensive programme. The minimum payment is around £1,400 in total for what would cover a child's education for maybe four years in one subject eg Maths. Whether you choose to pay this sum spread over 1 year or as long as four years seems to be up to you. I think that's where this 'four year contract' maybe comes from.

I personally think that the programme is too expensive for what you get, but what we saw of the DVDs looked very high quality and well presented. If you're considering additional support for your child I'd suggest approaching SSC with an open mind, which was not my initial attitude having read earlier comments in this thread. You don't have anything to lose and if you don't like what the salesperson from SSC says, tell him/her that the conversation is over and thank them for their time!
  • bitsandpieces
    bitsandpieces Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Still sounds expensive compared to a personal tutor - even a well-qualified, experienced one. A teacher or tutor could likely point you towards appropriate books, websites etc - for well under £1.4k.

Lots of text books are aimed towards studying for particular GCSEs. I'd imagine that a couple of those, combined with a personal tutor if needed, could be a better and cheaper solution.
  • picklesdad
    Options
    Have a look at the futureschool website its 19.95 per month for up to 5 family members and is all online for maths and English grammar. You get video lessons/testing and as a parent you can monitor how your kids are going.
  • elfen
    elfen Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Options
    Ask at school, then advertise for a tutor. Most students doing either English or Maths should be able to help
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does anyone know where I could obtain information on pricing for this company or if it's possible to get a copy of their contract without getting a call from a salesperson?
  • claireaclog
    Options
    We have just had the rep (SALESMAN) out and i feel teriable my brother is 13 and missed out on a lot of the basics and we have seen evidence of that tonight, can see that he really needs some help but this isnt the option.
    The school sent home the first lot of information which said it was to help the parents support the children and to give the parents help on helping the children to learn but this wasn't the case.
    The SALESMAN came out tonight and gave my brother 2 assesments which did show he was behind for his age which i feel bad for. We then watched a DVD which was recorded in 2006 so its all ready 4 years out of date. He then told us the cost it would be 20 a week for the dvd's, work books and exercise books. you get everything in the 1st week, i was thniking thats a bit expensive but carried on listening open minded also for the 20 a week i get a phone number to a teacher between the hours of 4-7 mon to fri and 11-1 on saturday and then can log on to the internet and show the child how to do it. But the big bomeshell was that i needed to pay £20 a week for 3 Years totaling £3120.00 and i have to SIGN A CONTRACT.
    This is a very expenses way to help our children there is no way I can afford the money and i was left feeling really bad that I couldnt help but financial isn't not an option.
    When he thought we was deffently going to say NO He just got up collected his stuff and went didn't say bye my nan asked for his number as we needed to discuss weather we could afford it between us he just looked at us found his card and still walked out.
    I wonder how many people actually are on this program and how much com!!!!ion he didn't get tonight.
    Other small thing is we booked an appointment for 7 he called me at 5 to see if he could come early.
  • bitsandpieces
    bitsandpieces Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    £20/week is enough to buy some time with a personal tutor - or you could get a tutor for some periods for maybe half that, spread out over the year. That would seem a much better option.

By the way, assessing students appropriately is difficult. I wouldn't trust a salesperson (unqualified?) to do this - and it's important not to talk down your brother's abilities and progress based on tests that may or may not be accurate. Have you asked the school how he's doing?
  • claireaclog
    Options
    We have and they suggested this company, to help fill his gaps in the basic's which it would do if i didnt have to have a 3 year contract.
  • eira
    eira Posts: 611 Forumite
    Options
    i am very surprised that the school should suggest a company like this, I would pin this down in more detail
    a)In what respects is the child 'behind'-what are the projected NC levels and his actual achievement
    b)Has he been assessed by the SENCO
    c)How do his school achievements compare to what he's like at home eg reading/managing pocket money/general knowledge
    d)As far as I am aware there is free one to one tution funded by the gov for children falling behind NC expectations
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure