IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC - Aylesbury Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Further to my post #7 I did email DVLA for confirmation of the date when UKPC no longer had access to keeper details, and for what period, or if indefinitely.

They replied:-

Keya Lianne Nicholas (Keya.Nicholas@dvla.gsi.gov.uk)
    Sent:
    23 September 2015 12:24:09
    To:
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear XXXXXX

I am only able to confirm that UK Parking Control have been suspended from requesting vehicle keeper details while we carry out our investigation.

I’m sorry I can be of no further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Kind regards

Keya

Miss Keya Nicholas

Data Sharing Assurance and Compliance Team

Strategy, Policy & Communications Directorate

I wonder what investigation they refer to?.

I realised of course that the contents in the original reply from DVLA did not stem from my sole complaint, therefore did not make a big deal about it.

So now perhaps it will soon be business as usual for UKPC.

You could always FOI them, although they'll drag out their reply for as long as the law allows, if not longer.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • 1505grandad
    1505grandad Posts: 2,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Further to my post #7 I have had a protracted and frustrating email chain with the BPA. The last email sent by me on behalf of my daughter was:-

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Sent:
    11 October 2015 19:07:33
    To:
    BPA Gemma Dorans (gemma.d@britishparking.co.uk)
    Cc:
    steve.c@britishparking.co.uk (steve.c@britishparking.co.uk)

Dear Ms Dorans,

You seem to be going to extreme lengths NOT to find any wrong doing with regard to the incorrect record keeping of UKPC, which I am convinced has been communicated by them to third parties, to my detriment. It is very baffling when it is well known that UKPC have admitted to/being investigated for fraudulent activities, and have been banned by the DVLA from obtaining registered keeper details.

However, it seems that the only missing element, because presumably you do not believe the statement in the letter from JLL which begins "Additional details from UKPC......", is any direct evidence that UKPC have referred to the notice from 2012.

Hopefully you can bear with me and make just ONE assumption, that the statement in the letter from JLL referred to above, is in fact true. (By the way this letter was an attachment to an email sent to me direct from Aviva Group). I therefore hope that my reasoning emanating from this assumption is accepted by you, for the purpose of this particular communication.

I will now respond to your points stated in your email dated 9th October, although in a different order.

The first of your points I will address is:-

We cannot comment as to why the managing agent referred to the PCN dated 2012.

In regards to the below:

"After all, why did UKPC refer to an "outstanding" notice from 2012 to me just because they issued one to me as registered keeper in 2015?. Is it the normal way to conduct business by assuming that todays registered keeper was the same as in 2012?."

As far as we are aware UKPC have not referred to the notice from 2012. If you have evidence of this, please can you forward this to us so we can assist further.

As I pointed out above, we are for the time being assuming that JLL have in fact received, from UKPC, evidence that they used to make the statement "Additional details from UKPC....", i.e. that the records of UKPC incorrectly showed that a parking notice from 2012 was outstanding in their records.

I will of course request from Aviva/JLL any such evidence, using a Subject Access Request form if necessary, in due course.

The second point is:-

I did include the issue regarding the ticket from 2012 in my investigation to UK Parking Control and they did not understand why the matter was being raised as the ticket was closed on their system as paid.

Now, when using the complaint form, for breaches under the Data Protection Act, obtained from the Information Commissioners Office web site, there is a section titled "What is your concern?". This is as follows:-

3. What is your concern?

Select the option that best describes your concern.

The organisation:

X is not keeping my information secure

X holds information about me that is inaccurate

X has disclosed information about me

X has kept information about me longer than is necessary

X collected information for one reason and is now using it
    for something else

has sent me someone else’s personal information

Something else. Please give details.

I have ticked (X) the five boxes which I contend are relevant. I am sure that if you care to read the Guide To Data Protection on the web site of the ICO, you will see the various "Principles" explained which back up my contentions.

I am positive that at least one of the "Principles" has been breached and therefore UKPC have failed to comply with the requirements of the Data Protection Act.

The third point is:-

UK Parking Control have not sent you any letters detailing this charge once the payment was made and therefore we cannot find that they have breached our Code of Practice.

According to the BPA's "AOS Code of Practice Contraventions & Sanctions" document there is sanctions level as follows:-

LEVEL 5
    [FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]5.1 [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Failure to comply with the requirements of the Data Protection Act (s) [/FONT]

[/FONT]

As I have just proved under point two above, UKPC have indeed failed this sanction level.

Therefore, if you accept, just for the time being, that the one and only assumption I have made, as in point one, is valid, can you indicate accordingly that my reasoning is correct and, therefore, that the appropriate sanction points can be awarded against UKPC?.

As I have already mentioned, I will obtain the evidence required from Aviva/JLL if necessary. (Although why you think that a multi-national company, which is a household name, and their agent should make this statement if not received direct from UKPC, is beyond me.)

If my reasoning is, in your opinion flawed, please let me know why. Also, please do not dismiss my request unfairly just because you do not want to accept, for this particular exercise, my assumption in point one.

I look forward to your reply in due course.

Regards,

I received the following reply from the BPA:-

Gemma Dorans (gemma.d@britishparking.co.uk)
    Sent:
    13 October 2015 08:03:12
    To:
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Cc:
    Steve Clark (Steve.C@britishparking.co.uk)

Dear XXXXXXXX,

BPA – 08092.

I have contacted UKPC regarding the letter from the Landowner and they are unaware of any correspondence sent to the Landowner regarding a ticket issued in 2012.

In regards to the data protection issues, you will need to direct your complaint to the Information Commissioners Office. If they believe there has been a breach of the Data Protection Act, please contact us further.

Due to the above, we are unable to investigate the matter further and the case is closed.

Kind regards

Gemma Dorans

Customer Services Manager

I THEREFORE SENT THE FOLLOWING EMAIL TO MARK WILSON, CEO OF AVIVA PLC:-

THIS EMAIL INCLUDES A REQUEST FOR INFORMATION

Dear Mr Wilson,

As you can see from the email chain below, (the first being at the bottom), I have been trying to make a complaint against UKPC via the British Parking Association (BPA) for breaches of the Data Protection Act and, therefore, breach of the BPA Code of Practice, on my daughter's behalf.

This stems from a letter dated 18th May 2015 (attached to an email dated 17th June 2015 from "Aviva") which contained an outrageous allegation that my daughter had an outstanding parking notice from 2012. The letter is attached.

I have copied you in to most of the protracted correspondence, (in which the letter has been produced), that I and my daughter have had with "Aviva" concerning a parking ticket issued to my daughter, as registered keeper, at the beginning of this year. The last email from "Aviva" is also attached.

(By the way, you might want to review the statements made in the letter titled "Aviva dtd 28.8 no more corres...." attached).

The parking ticket in 2015 was cancelled on appeal by POPLA, even though "Aviva" always maintained "it was properly due"!!. We had to appeal because "Aviva" refused to believe that my daughter, as registered keeper, had caused no loss to anyone, least of all "Aviva", and therefore your company refused to cancel the invoice.

You will see in the email chain with the BPA below that I have always defended "Aviva" with regard to the origin of the incorrect information contained in the letter dated 18th May, even though "Aviva" have caused me, and especially my daughter, a great deal of distress. However the BPA have not believed that UKPC have in fact provided "Aviva" that erroneous information.

The last email in the chain below is from my daughter, dated 11th October. Please note that as ever we have defended "Aviva" in that we believe it was very unlikely that "Aviva" would have made up the erroneous information.

I have received a reply from the BPA to my daughter's email dated 11th October as follows:-

(I INSERTED THE ABOVE EMAIL FROM THE BPA DATED 13TH OCTOBER AND CONTINUED):-

I HOPE YOU NOTICE THE FIRST SENTENCE FROM WHICH IT APPEARS THAT UKPC DENY PROVIDING "AVIVA" (LANDOWNER) WITH THE INCORRECT INFORMATION REGARDING THE TICKET IN 2012!!!. (Not sure if they differentiate between JLL and "Aviva").

Therefore, in order that I may pursue this matter further, can you please provide me with the following information:-

1) by what means did UKPC provide "Aviva" with the details of erroneous information?. Was it in writing - if so can you provide me with a copy?.
    If by some other means, can you provide me with details, including dates and the name of anyone involved.

2) in the protracted correspondence with "Aviva" I have pointed out repeatedly how disreputable this company (UKPC) is, but "Aviva" have always defended them and have not believed statements from my daughter and myself.

You must be aware that UKPC have recently admitted fraudulent activities and are currently being investigated for these. They have also been suspended by the DVLA from obtaining registered keeper details.

In the light of the above, can you comment on whether "Aviva" are still willing to be represented by UKPC. As I have pointed out before in our correspondence, "Aviva" are jointly and severally responsible for the actions of their agents, which of course JLL (who sent the letter dated 18th May, and was attached to an email sent by "Aviva") and UKPC most definitely are.

If you will let me have the answers to the two questions above it will be most appreciated.

Regards,
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry for the rather long post, but it is nothing compared to the amount of correspondence I have endured while trying to get some response/sense from "Aviva" and the BPA.

Still, it should be interesting to see what "Aviva" have to say if they answer my two questions above.

Just waiting for a response from the ICO now, although not expecting anything of note, so not holding my breath.

• 1505grandad
    Options
    Further to my post today, I have just opened an email response from the ICO:-

casework@ico.org.uk
    Sent:
    16 October 2015 14:09:34
    To:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

16 October 2015

Case Reference Number RFA0597530

Dear xxxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for your email of 16 September regarding the concerns you have raised about Aviva PLC/Aviva Life & Pensions UK Ltd (Aviva), UK Parking Control Ltd (UKPC) and JLL.

Our aim is to improve information rights practices within organisations. We do this by taking an overview of all concerns that are raised about organisations with a view to improving their compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998 (‘the DPA’).

I understand that you are concerned that JLL sent your daughter a letter containing inaccurate information about an unpaid notice from 2012, originating from UKPC.

The fourth principle of the DPA requires organisations to keep the personal data they are holding accurate and up to date.

As you have raised this matter with Aviva, I have contacted Aviva for further clarification on this matter. I have asked Aviva to respond to me within the next 28 days. I will contact you again once I have received their response.

Yours sincerely,

Adele Roper
    Case Officer
    Information Commissioner’s Office
    01625 545 774

No doubt "Aviva's" slick, highly paid lawyers will make mincemeat of my complaint, but at least it's nice to know that perhaps ICO have taken some notice and action.

As I have just returned from the Interment of my younger brother's ashes, and after supporting him through numerous medical centre visits/stays, gruelling chemo, radio/nuclear therapies and various drug trials since March 2014, the response from the ICO gave me a bit of a lift.

The last response from "Aviva", to me, dated 28th August was basically:-

"We have done nothing wrong, have acted fairly, your correspondence has made a number of allegations which are inappropriate and unjustified, you have mentioned involvement of third parties, SO BRING IT ON"

So I "brung" it on!!.
  • 1505grandad
    Options
    (I realise that the forum is busy coming to terms with the Beavis result, but it might be of interest regarding the reply I have recently received from "Aviva", which supports other comments on the forum concerning Landowners respectability.)

Well, my "gaster" is absolutely "flabbered".

I truly believed "Aviva" when they said that UKPC had communicated to them that my daughter had "an unpaid parking notice outstanding from 2012".

But according to the following brief/terse reply to my email dated 16th October, mentioned in my (lengthy) post #23, the truth is:-

Re Aylesbury Shopping Park - parking charge

Further to my email of 20 October 2015, I write in response to the two questions you raise:-

1) Following receipt of your daughter's correspondence to Aviva in May, JLL made enquiries of UKPC. In relation to the 2012 parking charge, UKPC advised "there is an additional parking charge registered to this vehicle but it was issued in 2012". Unfortunately that was understood to mean that the 2012 charge remained unpaid, hence the comment in JLL's letter of 18 May. As you know, on receipt of
    your daughter's email of 21 June, JLL checked the position with UKPC and, having discovered the 2012
    charge had been paid, full apologies were issued and additionally the 2015 charge was cancelled.

2) We are aware that UKPC were disciplined by the BPA following misconduct of a small number of employees at UKPC and that UKPC have taken action against the individuals concerned. We will continue to monitor UKPC, as we do all our appointed car park operators.

Yours sincerely

Jean Lane

Associate Director - Real Estate

As I have vehemently defended "Aviva", during the protracted correspondence I have had with the BPA, it seems that "Aviva" have made me look a complete idiot.

From the reply from the ICO, when I made a complaint to them, it seems that they are seeking clarification from "Aviva" under Principle 4 (Accuracy).

As I ticked other boxes, including "Retention" (Principle 5), in this case that Principle should apply, I believe. The parking charge was apparently paid/resolved in December 2012 and the records should presumably have been deleted.

In my view however, it still means that UKPC have breached the DPA, and therefore the BPA CoP, and deserve sanctioning by the BPA.

I still wonder what a parking charge, resolved in 2012, has to do with the registered keeper of a car in 2015.

As "Aviva" are in charge, via their products, of billions of pounds of millions of customers' funds, I do wonder about their "assumptions" and lack of judgement/due diligence concerning customers investments etc. There was even a slot on Watchdog last night where a customer of "Aviva" wanted to cash in his pension pot. But mysteriously, £11,000 had disappeared. It was only when Watchdog got involved that "Aviva" found the funds and returned them to the rightful owner, plus compensation.

"Aviva" does not seem too concerned about the activities of UKPC either - they deserve each other.

On the other hand, it seems that as I believed in "Aviva", the same lack of judgement could be said of me.

I will see what the ICO come back with after "Aviva's" clarification.
  • 1505grandad
    Options
    Hope it is ok to still post on this thread but previous posts on other threads say that landowners should be held accountable.

So much for relying on the landowners cooperation regarding the antics of their ppc.

Sent the following email to Mark wilson CEO:- (sorry it is rather long!!)

Subject: SHAME ON YOU AVIVA - (S.O.Y.A.)

Dear Mr Wilson,

I have delayed responding to the curt/terse email (see chain below) where Aviva admit that they have falsely accused my daughter, XXXXXXXXX, of owing monies in respect of a parking charge in 2012, because they did not practice due diligence in interpreting data provided by your agents UK Parking Control Ltd (UKPC).
    (S.O.Y.A.)

The delay is because, on the advice of the Information Commissioners Office (ICO), my daughter has written to UKPC expressing concern about the data they should NOT have been holding against her, which led to the false accusation by Aviva.

Needless to say, as usual, UKPC have not had the decency to reply, not even to an email address provided in my daughter's letters.

We have therefore submitted a complaint to the ICO regarding a breach of the Data Protection Act (DPA).

As mentioned before in the protracted correspondence we have been forced to engage in, Aviva, as Principal, are jointly and severally responsible for the actions of their agents/contractors.

Not only have Aviva made false allegations against my daughter, they have also made me look an idiot. This is because I thought that Aviva was an ethical and honourable organisation, so I had no hesitation in vigorously defending Aviva in correspondence with the British Parking Association (BPA).(However, BBC Watchdog 5.11.2015?...........)

The correspondence (attached - which includes the actual letter referred to in the curt/terse email mentioned at the start) was undertaken because I firmly believed that Aviva would not lie and therefore the false accusation against my daughter was the entire fault of UKPC. I was therefore trying to obtain a sanction against UKPC for breach of the DPA by the BPA.
    (S.O.Y.A.)

I have previously brought to your attention the extraordinary procedures that my daughter and I have had to endure (attached) before we even received a reply from Aviva, in our efforts to obtain a cancellation by Aviva of the Notice To Keeper (NTK), issued to my daughter in March 2015, in respect of a parking ticket (PCN) issued to the driver of her car in January 2015.
    (S.O.Y.A.)

When Aviva eventually started to reply they always maintained that they were acting fairly and that my daughter, as registered keeper, had to pay the £90 invoiced by UKPC for the parking event in January 2015.
    (S.O.Y.A.)

Even when we explained that the driver had made a mistake in not making sure that a piece of paper was visible on the windscreen of my daughter's car, and that the car and occupants left the car park well before the free 2 hours parking allowed expired, Aviva still maintained that they were acting fairly in insisting that my daughter, as registered keeper, had to pay the £90 invoice. We even supplied documentation from the occupants of the car showing that hard earned monies had been spent shopping at the Aylesbury Retail Park, all to no avail, my daughter was still told to pay. Aviva have also always defended the actions of UKPC and have not believed the true facts we stated.
    (S.O.Y.A.)

I have previously provided you with links to Channel 4 and the Daily Mail to show the shameful antics of UKPC whom Aviva seem to hold in such esteem.
    Aviva did not seem to care about this judging by the usual curt/terse response, saying that UKPC were rebutting the allegations.
    What happened?.
    (S.O.Y.A.)

I have also provided a response from the DVLA, to an email I sent to them, where they confirmed that UKPC had been suspended from obtaining registered keeper details. I also advised that UKPC were being investigated for fraud, and had been sanctioned by the BPA. Again the impression was that Aviva did not seem to care.
    (S.O.Y.A.)

Allegedly, UKPC still continue to act in a disgraceful manner, judging by the following links:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06w0v3l

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35253759

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Currys-PC-World-happy-parking-enforcement-outside/story-28283944-detail/story.html

My family, friends and colleagues continue to wonder what possible benefit Aviva obtain by backing this company, but obviously it must be very worthwhile for Aviva. It has also made them think about how their future finances will be handled with regard to their Aviva products which a majority of them hold.

So, it seems that when a motorist makes a genuine mistake which costs nothing to anyone and does not inconvenience anyone, Aviva thinks it is fair to pursue them for an outrageous sum of £90, because a piece of paper was not visible.
    (S.O.Y.A.)

Yet when Aviva make, presumably, a genuine mistake which costs me and my innocent and vulnerable daughter a great deal of stress, and wasted time in having to research and make appeals to Aviva and UKPC, which were originally turned down, and to POPLA (the official appeals service), who had no hesitation in upholding our appeal, Aviva think that my daughter and I only deserve a curt/terse response. (We even had to rebut a 56 page evidence pack submitted to POPLA by UKPC, but which was not sent to us as required by law under POFA 2012).
    (S.O.Y.A.)

Aviva only agreed to cancel the 2015 parking charge when it came to light that the erroneous data held by UKPC about a parking charge outstanding from 2012, which my daughter and I vigorously denied knowing anything about, had in fact been paid by someone in December 2012. By then of course we were forced to waste a tremendous amount of time and effort in researching and submitting the appeal to POPLA, which was upheld.
    (S.O.Y.A.)

When it was finally found that the unknown outstanding parking charge was in fact paid by someone in December 2012, this brought back very painful memories of when, during a period in December 2012, my daughter was in hospital losing a much longed for baby. (S.O.Y.A.)

It seems therefore very reasonable to me for a PCN (Personal Costs Notice) to be raised on behalf of my daughter and I against Aviva/JLL/UKPC for all the untold stress, misery, harassment and totally wasted and unnecessary time and effort we have endured, when my daughter has done absolutely nothing wrong.

I am hoping that there is someone very senior in the Aviva organisation, an organisation with millions of customers and which looks after £billions of peoples funds, and who actually has regard for the image/reputation of the organisation, will have the courtesy of replying with a sensible explanation as to whether they think the concerns I have raised are valid or not, and that the way my daughter and I have been treated is at all acceptable.

Unfortunately the department that we have so far dealt with has given my daughter and I the impression that we are held in contempt by Aviva, and we have no confidence that dealing with them again will yield any different outcome.

I therefore eagerly look forward to the next round of the S.O.Y.A. saga.

Yours faithfully,

REPLY FROM AVIVA

Thank you for your email of 27 January.
    I have reviewed the background to the events and various issues you raise. Having done so I can see that Aviva’s position has been comprehensively detailed in earlier correspondence and I do not consider there is anything further that Aviva can add.

In light of the apologies which have been offered in respect of the 2012 charge, the waiver of the 2015 charge and the detailed explanations that have been provided, I do feel that Aviva has acted fairly towards you and your daughter.

Yours sincerely
    Kirsty Cooper
    Kirsty Cooper
    Office of the Chairman, Group General Counsel and Company Secretary

As usual, Aviva has failed to address any of the concerns raised in my email - assuming it has been read. (AND they seem to love UKPC for some reason).

I wait with baited breath as to what the outcome of the ICO investigation re UKPC breach of DPA will be, but judging by all the replies from the different organisations I have so far received, nobody seems to do any wrong, except the motorist.

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done for not letting it lie!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • 1505grandad
    Options
    I forwarded to PP Monday evening the assessment that I have at last received from the ICO re UKPC breaching the DPA.

I requested his reply re advice/comments he may have for me.

It has just occurred to me that of course PP may not be available at the moment to action this.

Is it possible to find out if PP is/not available?

Hope someone can help.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    He has only posted one blog so far this month so I'd assume he's away. You may be able to pm him on here, he posts here.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • 1505grandad
    Options
    Thanks C-M.

Unfortunately PP inbox full so could not send pm.

In view of the ICO assessment I intend spending the weekend preparing the correspondence to the various organisations I will be contacting.

However, in order that I do not spoil things by inadvertently breaking rules/laws of the land, I was hoping to obtain advice/comments/help from someone, hence my wish to contact PP to look at the ICO email and my proposed responses.

I wonder, probably cheekily - but with respect, if any of the forum experts, if they have time, would instead be willing to accept a pm from me?.

Just off to lunch and shopping with the family so will be back later. If anyone would be willing to accept my request it will be most appreciated.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Contact PP via his website contact portal - here:

http://www.parking-prankster.com/contact-me.html
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport