Marriage Allowance

Options

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    . . . Just wondering what the standard wait time is for the backdated payment cheque (£212 for 2015/16 tax year)?
    I seem to recall a post somewhere on these forums that HMRC were predicting June for 2015/16 rebates.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Thank you.

DH has called them and asked and they have advised that they are awaiting end of year calculations before they will issue refund cheques, as it will be grouped with any other tax refunds (or indeed underpayments) due for the year.

Just in case anyone else is wondering.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • I also found my self assessment return was going to overcharge me the married tax allowance I had received from my wife through my tax code. Do you know if it has been fixed yet? Thanks
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I also found my self assessment return was going to overcharge me the married tax allowance I had received from my wife through my tax code. Do you know if it has been fixed yet? Thanks

Mine is still showing I owe more than I should when I log in - I have sent them a message a week ago which has gone to their 'Technical team'
  • cheesetoast
    cheesetoast Posts: 258 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Still not working correctly when I put my return through today - but I just added a note in "other information" saying that my PA should be increased by £1060 as a result of the transfer.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    Options
    Still not working correctly when I put my return through today - but I just added a note in "other information" saying that my PA should be increased by £1060 as a result of the transfer.

Your PA will not increase by £1060. You will be assessed on your return EXACTLY as you would be without the MAT in place. The only place you will see the effect of a successful transfer will be in your SA302.
  • clarkelloyd
    clarkelloyd Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    When I rang to transfer my allowance to my partner the advisor said his tax code would be amended (which happened quickly) and a cheque would be sent out for the backdated amount. I asked who it would be sent to and the advisor said "obviously to you as you're the one applying" so I waited 6 weeks. I was going to have the backdated amount and then my partner would benefit from the extra money in his wages. Rang yesterday and they said the backdated amount goes to my partner. He now won't let me have any of it and says he's entitled to it - so I've cancelled it due to the error of being told I would get the backdated cheque. If we agree now to split it can I reapply?
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    When I rang to transfer my allowance to my partner the advisor said his tax code would be amended (which happened quickly) and a cheque would be sent out for the backdated amount. I asked who it would be sent to and the advisor said "obviously to you as you're the one applying" so I waited 6 weeks. I was going to have the backdated amount and then my partner would benefit from the extra money in his wages. Rang yesterday and they said the backdated amount goes to my partner. He now won't let me have any of it and says he's entitled to it - so I've cancelled it due to the error of being told I would get the backdated cheque. If we agree now to split it can I reapply?

It's your partner that pays less tax so will have tax code adjusted for this year and will get a rebate for last year. You are not owed the tax back.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    Options

Well, they got it right in the end. It would be ludicrous if the donor got the rebate - wouldn't it? A bit daft of you, too, to think that you had some retained rights in a gift? :)
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you transfer £1,060 of your 2015/16 allowance to your husband, it is he who will receive the back-dated cheque because it would have been his tax allowance which would have increased thereby reducing his tax bill.

If you re-apply to transfer the allowance to your husband, it will still be he who receives the back-dated cheque. What he does with the money, once received, is entirely up to him.

I understand that HMRC is/are predicting June for payment of 2015/16 rebates.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback