Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 9th Feb 15, 10:18 AM
    • 654Posts
    • 404Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    GB Energy Supply reviews: Give your feedback
    • 9th Feb 15, 10:18 AM
    GB Energy Supply reviews: Give your feedback 9th Feb 15 at 10:18 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

GB Energy Supply

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 4:15 PM.
Page 1
    • sidbee
    • By sidbee 22nd Apr 15, 11:39 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sidbee
    • 22nd Apr 15, 11:39 AM
    • 22nd Apr 15, 11:39 AM
    Taking a leap into the (almost!) unknown I've just applied to switch to Zog for gas and GB Energy for electricity - a big saving for me, hope their admin. keeps on top of probable expansion as they become better known!
    I will post updates as things progress.
    sidbee
    • BigAde
    • By BigAde 22nd Apr 15, 12:49 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    BigAde
    • 22nd Apr 15, 12:49 PM
    • 22nd Apr 15, 12:49 PM
    They certainly seem cheap, but with no reviews and very little known about them I'm reluctant to take the plunge.
    Ah! Good old trusty beer... I hope you never change.
    • sidbee
    • By sidbee 22nd Apr 15, 1:23 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sidbee
    • 22nd Apr 15, 1:23 PM
    • 22nd Apr 15, 1:23 PM
    Well so far so good -I've already received by email within minutes of completing the application a Welcome Pack with my account number, my MPAN (meter point number) entered for me to check, my proposed switch date (1 month from today) and confirmation of the monthly direct debit.

One word of warning/advice - they do take the DD monthly in advance, in fact even before the date the supply begins! Their T&C's are clearly shown on the website so I was aware, but others might not be - the first DD is taken the day after the end of the cancellation period, so effectively 15 days after completing the application, and the same day each month thereafter.

(Interestingly, however, they appear to have given me a week longer than that!)
    Last edited by sidbee; 22-04-2015 at 1:32 PM. Reason: Additional info.
    sidbee
    • AliGator1927
    • By AliGator1927 23rd Apr 15, 11:49 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    AliGator1927
    • 23rd Apr 15, 11:49 AM
    Quote difference.
    • 23rd Apr 15, 11:49 AM
    Cheap Energy Club quoted a £155 annual saving but quote on same consumption figures and same tariff, direct from GB energy supply, was £57.36. Not worth the hassle. Disappointing!
    • MSE Weleid
    • By MSE Weleid 23rd Apr 15, 3:10 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    MSE Weleid
    • 23rd Apr 15, 3:10 PM
    • 23rd Apr 15, 3:10 PM
    Hi AliGator1927,

If you drop us an email at energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com we'll have a look into this for you.

Thanks,
    MSE Weleid
    • sidbee
    • By sidbee 23rd Apr 15, 6:58 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sidbee
    • 23rd Apr 15, 6:58 PM
    • 23rd Apr 15, 6:58 PM
    Cheap Energy Club quoted a £155 annual saving but quote on same consumption figures and same tariff, direct from GB energy supply, was £57.36. Not worth the hassle. Disappointing!
    Originally posted by AliGator1927
    The Cheap Energy Club quoted cost for me for GB Energy was exactly the same as that from them direct. Have you checked to see if figures quoted by the CEC for other energy suppliers agree with the suppliers' quotes?
    sidbee
    • dugongs2
    • By dugongs2 27th Apr 15, 8:22 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    dugongs2
    • 27th Apr 15, 8:22 PM
    OK so far but
    • 27th Apr 15, 8:22 PM
    I switched a couple of months ago and seems to have gone through ok. They take a payment prior to the switch completing which was fine for me but some who are in credit may not appreciate that.

Only gripe so far is the website has never worked properly. Meter readings have to be given over the phone and my first statement presumably based on an estimate cannot be viewed. I have emailed a couple of times and I am told they are working on the website.

Its early days and I can put up with a lot for a cheap price. Service when i have spoken with them or emailed is fine. If they sort out their website then all will be fine.
    • sidbee
    • By sidbee 28th Apr 15, 11:37 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sidbee
    • 28th Apr 15, 11:37 AM
    • 28th Apr 15, 11:37 AM

Only gripe so far is the website has never worked properly. Meter readings have to be given over the phone and my first statement presumably based on an estimate cannot be viewed. I have emailed a couple of times and I am told they are working on the website.
    Originally posted by dugongs2
    Hmm. If it doesn't work now when they only have a few thousand customers I wonder how it will be if/when the numbers increase significantly - as they will, if GB Energy continues to offer the lowest price for most consumers. I don't like the sound of statements not being available to view - I do hope this won't be another Extra Energy debacle. At least there are no exit penalties if things go belly-up!

(Why don't these start-up independents get their IT systems up and running before they take on business? How hard can it be? Surely that must be cheaper in the long run than having to constantly play catch-up and fire-fight, and in the worse case scenarios, losing both existing customers and blighting future new business growth for months or even years - goodwill is easily lost.)

Guess I will wait and see how things go with my switch, but if they don't get the online systems working withing a reasonable time I will be bailing out again. I don't want to have to waste my time phoning or emailing to chase up statements that should be automatically generated on receipt of the meter read.
    sidbee
    • Little_Gem
    • By Little_Gem 29th Apr 15, 9:04 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Little_Gem
    Nightmare!
    I rang up and switched to GB Energy over a month ago, tried to switch through the website but the address was displayed incorrectly so couldn't! Thought it had all gone nice and smoothly at the time but over a month later and I haven't heard anything from them! Tried calling to find out what's going on and they seem to think that maybe my switch application hadn't been sent through to the correct department. I've been assured numerous times that someone will call me and still nothing! Slightly concerned as I gave all my direct debit details etc.! Useless! Not sure now if I can try and switch to someone else or if they are going to find my application and commence the switch! In the meantime I'm paying sky high British Gas standard tariff prices!!
    • deanos
    • By deanos 29th Apr 15, 5:16 PM
    • 10,867 Posts
    • 5,575 Thanks
    deanos
    i switched last week, emailed asking to change direct debit day, that was 7 days ago and not had a reply, does not inspire confidence
    • JohntyRingwood
    • By JohntyRingwood 30th Apr 15, 5:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    JohntyRingwood
    Excellent First Service 10/10
    Just signed up to GB Energy. Well impressed with the customer service 10/10 the Sales lady explained everything. Even that the direct debit is set up on a date in advance, but once account is opened you can go online to your account and change the date of your direct debit to suit yourself. They answered the call within 40 seconds. I've changed suppliers about 8 times over the years and this is the best service I've ever had. I know that they are at present trying to grow the business so, it needs to be good. But as she explained there are no exit fees or contract or fixed period and if the service is poor or prices go up, you're free to leave. However, she explained that they want loyalty from the new customers. My change over is in 3 weeks so I'll keep you posted on that.
  • DaveyAlrow
    GB Energy TheftSTheft
    Be warned GB Energy steal a payment from your bank account BEFORE you are a customer then hide behind Ofgem Rules what POO its like Tescos asking for £75 as you go through the door before you buy anything.
    • Super Stomper
    • By Super Stomper 19th May 15, 12:10 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Super Stomper
    Unsure
    The savings on this account look amazing. I don't actually mind paying my DD before I get started, but I don't like that if the website won't allow me to see regular statements after I've submitted meter readings I will only get one statement a year. I dropped out of SP because they would only raise 6-monthly statements. I like to keep on top of my bills and expect to see at least quarterly bills/statements on line. For that reason I won't be switching yet.
    • ph80
    • By ph80 19th May 15, 12:31 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ph80
    I have to say I am a bit worried about this now.

I have decided to leave Spark Energy who have been a nightmare with bills! They have increased my DD again, always get my bills wrong and tell me I owe them when they owe me. Their bills and online 'transactions' system don't tally up. I spoke with them and asked why they have just hiked up my DD by £30 a month and they tell me it is because of my estimated increased energy usage over the next 6 months. I pointed out that it's coming up to Summer and they said it will put me in credit, so there's no need to worry!

I was hoping that GB Energy Supply were going to be better as they are small right now! i have to say that communication to date has been OK (although i''m still waiting for my website login details). I'm not bothered about paying my DD upfront so long as they don't behave like Spark Energy! Luckily there's no exit fee so they have 3 months to impress me or i'll just move again!
    • sidbee
    • By sidbee 22nd May 15, 12:51 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sidbee

I was hoping that GB Energy Supply were going to be better as they are small right now! i have to say that communication to date has been OK (although i''m still waiting for my website login details). I'm not bothered about paying my DD upfront so long as they don't behave like Spark Energy! Luckily there's no exit fee so they have 3 months to impress me or i'll just move again!
    Originally posted by ph80
    Snap!

Welcome pack received by email within hours of signing up, followed by a welcome letter in the post and a couple of everything-is-going-OK emails during the switch period. Then an email from them today, the switch day, asking me for an opening meter reading to be given online using the login details sent to me. Fine, but they have not sent me login details, so I tried to give opening reading by telephone. Gave up after holding for 15 minutes. Terrible, I won't be staying with them for long if things are going downhilll with their admin. already. I have now emailed them to ask for login data to be sent to me so I can give the reading without having to waste even more time holding a phone playing annoying music at me. Not impressed.
    sidbee
    • sidbee
    • By sidbee 22nd May 15, 12:54 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    sidbee
    Be warned GB Energy steal a payment from your bank account BEFORE you are a customer then hide behind Ofgem Rules what POO its like Tescos asking for £75 as you go through the door before you buy anything.
    Originally posted by DaveyAlrow
    Agreed it is unwelcome, but they don't try to hide it. It is quite clear from the details given on their website.
    sidbee
    • deanos
    • By deanos 22nd May 15, 2:56 PM
    • 10,867 Posts
    • 5,575 Thanks
    deanos
    I too was asked for readings but not been given a login, rang up and they haven't switched my electric only gas, said login would be emailed but nothing as yet
    • Ginky2
    • By Ginky2 26th May 15, 4:10 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ginky2
    Snap too
    All seemed to be going well with the transfer, prompt acknowledgements/letters about the switch (despite the DD going out before the start of supply) all seemed to be going well until we were asked to give the meter readings using log in information in the email they sent, what email? As we are in the process of switching called the switching helpline, which was answered in seconds, but then told I had rung the wrong number as a customer I had to call customer service, they couldn't even put me through. Now been on the phone for 24 minutes holding to speak to customer service. Very very poor - about to hang up and switch elsewhere! Was moving from Ovo to save money, their customer service was great, even when we spoke to them about leaving, lesson learnt!
  • CompoundInterest
    GB Energy customer service appears to be as bad as NPower. They send me emails asking me to supply a meter reading, but the website is completely nonfunctional. In Firefox the digits can't be seen. In Chrome the button to submit the reading does nothing. In IE the submit button always comes back with "There was a problem. Please call us on". But they don't answer the phone either!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

324Posts Today

3,802Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • These scams are nothing to do with bitcoin. They are just scams. My view on bitcoin (though a little old now) a? https://t.co/i6rRIOr5hk

• SCAM! SCAM! SCAM! I have nothing to do with 'Bitcoin trading' or any get rich quick type advert or scheme. Don't t? https://t.co/WjitDxAc26

• Now I've heard it all. Apparently my politics is dictated by who follows me! You couldn't make this up. PS and for? https://t.co/hoPf6Jp34N

• Follow Martin