Aqua card - credit limit highier than £3750

Options

Comments

• shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    fruitisbad wrote: »
    What sort of Salary are you on (if you don't mind me asking!) I'm assuming this is one of the major factors on getting an increase when others haven't.

I don't think that really comes into it once the account has been opened. My highest limit card (well over £10k) was opened when I was a student on a very low income. They have no idea what I'm earning now, or even if I'm earning at all!
  • tomxlisa
    Options
    I applied for one of these so called aqua credit building cards and got declined, I mean how can you get declined for a card that they say accept people with no credit history, ccjs, etc, even though I do have credit history and I don't have any ccjs etc on my file, strange that.
  • backinbusiness
    Options
    I have £7,300 on mine. (But I don't use it).
    DF :grin:
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tomxlisa wrote: »
    I applied for one of these so called aqua credit building cards and got declined, I mean how can you get declined for a card that they say accept people with no credit history, ccjs, etc, even though I do have credit history and I don't have any ccjs etc on my file, strange that.

Try appealing! Don't waste an application.

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • madein83
    Options
    tomxlisa wrote: »

I got declined for Aqua too at the start. I came back from overseas and literally had no credit file to speak of. They didn't want to know.

There were a couple of cards I had to get first:
    1. Capital One Secured. This was a really poor card (I needed to put up a £200 security deposit to qualify), and using it once a week for shopping pretty much maxed out my entire balance. But it resulted in reports back to my credit file, and that's what I wanted.
    2. Vanquis. This one accepted me pretty quickly, albeit with a poor limit initially (£250). Once I had about 6 months of history, I actually managed to get a "real" Capital One card (still < £1000 limit) and in turn, got an Aqua.

Three years later, and after after a really shoddy rating, I have several "top tier" cards and over £38K in credit. It just takes time, patience and sticking to a plan.
  • madein83
    Options
    I have £7,300 on mine. (But I don't use it).

Good to know there's some room for growth - thanks.
  • madein83
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    I don't think that really comes into it once the account has been opened. My highest limit card (well over £10k) was opened when I was a student on a very low income. They have no idea what I'm earning now, or even if I'm earning at all!

This is definitely true.

The last time I revealed my income was something like 3 years ago (which was a lifetime ago, as far as my earnings went.)

I've at least DOUBLED my credit limit in the past year, by simply paying on time, actively using my cards (most months paying them off in full; occasionally letting them build a little... taking advantage of balance transfers whenever offers come up.)

I've not been asked for any kind of salary information since account opening, and nearly all of my cards started with a very low balance (the Aqua card in this thread started at £250, and is now £4K so far... a 16 fold increase!)
  • madein83
    Options
    bamgbost wrote: »
    I was going to cancel my Aqua due to the high APR. Currently on a limit of £800. But like someone previously said, the APR don't matter too much so long as you keep paying back in full.

Unless you're trying to "free up" the space in your credit file for a better card, I'd definitely recommend keeping it.

When Aqua started increasing my limit, they did it quickly. £250 became £1800 became £3000, etc.

"Average age of accounts" is an important variable that a lender will view to gauge your risk. Even if you're not using an account (or infrequently), letting it "age" for a few years will bump up your rating... and will likely increase your limit, which will lower your credit utilisation (assuming you don't max out every card!)
  • tomxlisa
    Options
    darkidoe wrote: »
    Try appealing! Don't waste an application.
    I phoned them up and it sounded like they didn't have a clue, they said I should apply again as I should of been accepted, so they think I put the wrong information in by accident which caused the decline which I know I never, not sure if it will be worth the appeal I know they should never be declining me as my credit report is decent apart from a few credit searches, okay I don't have loads of history but it doesn't say you need it.
  • SeduLOUs
    SeduLOUs Posts: 2,171 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2015 at 8:17AM
    Options
    madein83 wrote: »
    "Average age of accounts" is an important variable that a lender will view to gauge your risk. Even if you're not using an account (or infrequently), letting it "age" for a few years will bump up your rating... and will likely increase your limit, which will lower your credit utilisation (assuming you don't max out every card!)

This is the main reason my partner isn't closing his Vanquis, despite wanting to. He hasn't used it in months, but the other 2 credit cards he has got have only been active for 6-9 months, so we figure it's worth keeping the Vanquis on file to show a long term relationship. How long would you guess it would be before I should close the Vanquis for good?

I'm wondering now if we should be putting the odd shop on it every other month or so and paying in full rather than just leaving it completely dormant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure