Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 24th Nov 14, 10:29 PM
    • 273Posts
    • 578Thanks
    TheMagician
    Women and cats will do as they please! :)
    • 24th Nov 14, 10:29 PM
    Women and cats will do as they please! :) 24th Nov 14 at 10:29 PM
    Hi all

I'm not actually in debt as such but I need this diary to keep me on track with all of my plans and for all the wonderful support people here offer

I work full time in finance and study CIMA on a side, life can get pretty hectic

Me and my son terribly want our own home and a kitty (I absolutely loooooove cats) and I am looking forward to being free of restrictions renting causes.

So, the plan is to save as much as possible every single month and to put that towards the house deposit. We are both super duper excited about this and gonna work damn hard to get the money we need so I'm going to use this diary to record our milestones and keep us focused
    Last edited by TheMagician; 29-08-2015 at 7:58 PM.
Page 15
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 2nd May 18, 4:47 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Had a really productive afternoon.
    Called and paid for 6 months worth of parking.
    Bought flights to see family at Christmas.
    Lamb stew in the slowcooker, chai tea on the hob.
    We're about to head out to watch the movie.
    DS absolutely loved the balloon

I still need to:
    write down the schedule of dates for DS's grammar school entry,
    find a gift for my mum.
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 3rd May 18, 6:44 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    TheMagician
    I cannot move
    My body and mind have literally had enough.
    Another full on day at college and exam type questions. I do feel that I will be exceptionally prepared for this last exam however just at this very moment I wanna sleep. And lie down. And rest my feet. And watch something funny
    Almost there

Got a sweet potato in the oven, all I could think of - I've only got formulas in my head right now
    Gonna have some of that chai tea after, delicious.

I will make sure to carve out some time for me this weekend and next week. It's been all go and I need to chill for a bit.
    Might go to the beach with friends on this bank holiday, hope the weather is nice.

Apart from that, I've been thinking of my strategy now. I'm almost qualified, come end of May I'll be done and I'd like to start bringing in a steady income stream again. I want to buy a house very soon too so it all ties in. It needs pondering about. Do I get a job and do my business in the background? Do I only do the business? It'll all transpire soon, I'm sure.
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 4th May 18, 2:00 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Today I was meant to chill and not get up to much while DS was at school.
    But my exam results came through (received 105pts, so again quite comfortable) and so I was able to book my last ever CIMA exam That was a wonderful feeling indeed

I then decided to plunge for that summer holiday I'd been thinking about. Wasn't sure where to go or whether to go anywhere at all. But after some lucky searching online, we're now going to Dubrovnik at the end of August. Very excited, never been to Croatia but have heard nothing but amazing things. Booked the accommodation, flights and insurance so only spending money will be needed but I'll get that in August.

So now that's all our holidays sorted for this year. We're going away to see family at the end of May for the half term. Should be nice and warm and DS has been promised fishing trips with grandad And I've already paid for the Christmas flights too. That's one thing off my mind and sorted and it's a huge thing indeed

I've also redone my food shop arriving tomorrow. For the first time in a while I actually did a proper plan and made sure I was ordering enough food. I always end up doing top-ups and it's annoying, not only is it a waste of my time and I don't enjoy it, it's costing me loads... So I hope next week will be much better. Plus I'm focused on reducing the food cost substantially

I've arranged for our hamsters to be looked after while we're away and contacted the grammar school for some information I need for their test. Washed up, put clean laundry away, took the rubbish out and changed the hamsters.

Weight loss and eating is going well, jeans are now very loose and I can see a huge difference in my face, especially cheek bones.

I still need to:
    submit one more assessment to my tutor
    start reading my life coaching books which I've bought plenty of
    print our boarding passes but that's not urgent
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 4th May 18, 6:51 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Managed to find my mum a gift and it's something that she's been wanting for ages and couldn't find herself. I'm so pleased with that. On MSE front, I used TCB and got 30%

I also used TCB for the flights and 5 has already tracked

Another thing for the list:
    me & DS both need bikes this summer
    submit one more assessment to my tutor
    start reading my life coaching books which I've bought plenty of
    print our boarding passes but that's not urgent
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 5th May 18, 4:23 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    TheMagician
    We had an art class this lunchtime 12-2pm. We were using watercolour, DS drew some beautiful pictures I wasn't too bad either

Whilst we were in town I printed our boarding passes so that's one thing off the list.
    I've also ordered some travel size bottles and tubs as I'm not taking a huge suitcase for the first time ever Saving money And ordered travel size toothpaste and dry shampoo with my online delivery, shouldn't need anything else.

I also started reading a book whilst in the bath last night.
    I will submit that assignment tonight. Or so I keep on saying I WILL
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 6th May 18, 6:05 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    TheMagician
    We've spent all day outside today.
    Went to the park with a large group of friends and played loads of games, badminton was super fun and DS was amazingly good at it! He was beating adults
    Had a really nice picnic and a chat.

Home now, need to call my mum and catch up. Not much else to do this afternoon, it's all fun and games
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 6th May 18, 6:13 PM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Sounds a great day

You sound really focused

So pleased things are going well for you

Sam x
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 7th May 18, 2:23 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Thanks, Sam I've got laser focus on every part of my life Long may it continue.

Been a busy morning. Done a lot of cooking, lamb in the slow cooker for dinner. Cleaned as much as was needed. Might need to hover round as well. It's a bit on the hot side for a lot of housework indoors.

Called my mum last night and was on the phone for 2hrs. I haven't told my family I quit my job in Jan. In fact, I have only told DS and a couple close friends. Why? Because people are scared and I was in a very secure and very well paid job. And I'm the kind of person that doesn't wanna hear any of that. I know what I'm doing and I know how it's going to work out and I don't need anyone trying to put doubts in my head. And parents are always scared for their kids so I keep a lot of things to myself. I did mention though that things are about to change and I think she already had an idea, as mums do. But I won't tell the full story until I'm set up and good to go on my new journey.

Looks like the large food shop worked. We don't need anything, meals are planned and meat is getting used up in expiry date order. So far so good. Will only need two more shops this month as we're away for the last week and will get fed by the family

Don't have a lot of plans for this afternoon, just need to do yoga.

Hope everyone's long weekend is amazing
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 7th May 18, 8:29 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Whilst out this afternoon, I realised we were very unprepared for this heat. DS grows at least a whole size every year so nothing from last year fits at all. Tomorrow I'll have to go out and get him shorts, t-shirts and sandals. I also need a couple of maxi dresses.

Been watching a super interesting NetflIx doc about stalking. I was stalked for a while by my ex but he never did anything bad in the end. Finding this really fascinating.
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 8th May 18, 5:33 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    TheMagician
    This morning I had to keep DS at home, he was not feeling 100%. I am so grateful that I'm able to be there for him every time he needs me and I don't have to answer to anybody. Long may it continue. He should be fine for tomorrow.

Whilst home we took full advantage of it. I've changed the bedding and put it in the wash with the rest of the bits. The laundry basket is completely empty. Took the vacuum out and did a very thorough clean of all floors including under the bed, looks perfect. Might do the windows on the inside in a bit. Got my toes done in a pretty shade of pink. Did all the homework with DS. Not sure what else needs doing, better go get some dinner
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 8th May 18, 9:45 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Did do the windows in the end, look much better now
    Also patched up DS's favourite teddy, made him very happy.
    Ordered a tyre gauge and pump online. I'm planning loads of trips this summer and I feel like I should have one in the boot.

DS has been so itchy from the heat. I ran him a bath with A LOT of dead sea salt in it, it seems to have helped. Covered in coconut oil, hope he doesn't scratch at night.

Received my marked papers from the tutor and I got 80-85% on all tasks and I need 60% to pass so he's happy with my progress and I'm happy too It's the last day of the course on Thursday and we're doing a mock exam in real time - 3hrs Will be tiring... Last stretch now.

Didn't go shopping for DS's summer clothes cause he's been home but I'll pop out tomorrow. I've looked at sandals online and the ones I always get are 55 I can get 20% off so 44 but that's still expensive. I have decided to clean up and put his old ones on eb@y, they look really good still. It should fetch 15 min so will take out the pain from the news ones a little bit.
    Also need to buy DS his bike this weekend. I have absolutely no idea about bikes so will pop into H@lfords and get advice.

Was watching a TV programme about people taking drugs last night. It took me aback how casually everyone was talking about it. It seems like it is a lot more widely spread than I ever thought. I'm against drugs in any way, shape or form and it was incredibly sad to see teens taking them. They all said they'd had a hard start in life ie. parents. Some were homeless at 17yo, sofa surfing. Some people should not be parents What chance do those poor children have.
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 9th May 18, 7:58 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Managed to purchase a whole holiday wardrobe for DS for 26 He loved everything so no returns needed.
    Just need to order the sandals now and put the old ones for sale.
    Also got a bike lock for his new bike.

A bit tired tonight, did a hell of a lot yesterday. I also get exhausted if DS is not feeling 100% as I just take it on myself. He was fine for school this morning and feeling much better tonight. Will get an early night tonight in prep for studies tomorrow.
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 10th May 18, 5:14 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Today was the last day of my CIMA course. EVER and ever and ever. That is it, I'm done Not one bit sad and wouldn't like to do it again It's well worth it though and has been and will be extremely useful for me. Did a 3hr mock exam, awaiting feedback now. Hope it went well.

Will list DS's sandals tonight and order the new ones.

Don't really have much else urgent to focus on. Will carry on reading my life coaching books. Exam practice will start on Monday, until then I want to get a few things done but rest as much as possible. Life has been non-stop since Jan. I have done and achieved so much. I turned my life upside down, 180 degrees. Some days I just catch myself taking a breath and thinking, have I really done all that in such a short period of time? And am I really going all in into this new life that I know nothing about? Yes and yes So I better strap myself in as I've got a feeling we're up for quite a ride from July and I'll need every bit of rest and peace and strength I've got within me
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 12th May 18, 7:52 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Got quite a bit of cleaning up done this morning.
    We went out to have a look at bikes at H@lfords but the choice in-store was poor to say the least - 1 bike in DS's size
    However, I at least figured out the size he needs and it's one of those right in-between kids and adult. Not that many online, finally found one but at 264 it's a bit pricier than I wanted. Got 3% cashback, that's about it - had to bite the bullet. Will last a couple of years for sure.

Went to the park, DS had an ice-cream and we both had the best time ever. Looked at all of the plants, squirrels were coming up to DS left, right and centre, we went on the swings, climbed across logs over water and just had a great laugh

Food shop has just been delivered, a few things missing but nothing major. However, all meat expires by 16th which is not ideal. No room in the freezer... Will have to make sure it gets used up either way.

Things are ticking along, everything is well. It's a bit of a waiting game now until the next exam and then until the final results. However, I will be keeping myself very busy during June and expect to start earning again from July. The plan is coming together
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 13th May 18, 8:09 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Had a really lovely day today.
    Went to the park to play badminton, it was loads of fun.

Picked up the bike, it's stunning Might need a better lock for it, didn't realise how fantastic it was. DS took a few minutes to get to grips with it and off he went! Going to use it to get to school every morning now even though it's 5min away

Had slow cooker chicken and veg for dinner with frozen raspberries after So nice...

DS is chilling in the bath and I'm feeling achy from all the exercise and running around. Will have a relaxed evening before studies start again tomorrow.

Also, need to list a few items on eb@y.
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 14th May 18, 6:51 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Got a few jobs done today. Added car screen-wash as it was completely empty. And might have been for a while... Received my tyre air compressor. Checked the air pressure in all tyres and added as needed (and one tyre really needed ) I am so proud of myself for doing this. Nobody ever showed me how to do any of these things, I had to teach myself. And I was able to show DS and he helped me too. I don't ever want him to be in the situation I was - not knowing how to top up screen-wash or add air to tyres. This is where power lies - in knowing - so I refuse to ever be ignorant again.

DS went out on his bike again after school. Still a bit wobbly around a lot of people but he's getting there. We should be able to go out for a nice long ride this weekend with a friend.
    He's now trialing a new xbox game, seems to be a fan I can hear Why do they always get so excited they scream?..

Received another marking of my exam, got 93/100 and only positive feedback so things are going well there. Now just waiting on my last week's work which was submitted by the tutor today.

Put on all 3 items I wanted to on eb@y and the sandals have attracted a lot of attention so fingers crossed I get as much as possible for them.

Right, dinner time I reckon. HM burgers and veg of some sort. Haven't lost any more weight but I've been eating right and been exercising and doing yoga. I think my body is just assimilating a 7lb loss in the two weeks prior so I'm keeping faith and hanging in there, not one to ever give up
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 17th May 18, 8:53 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    TheMagician
    What a lovely day today! Beautiful outside.

Sold the sandals on eb@y so that's money towards the new ones.
    I finished reading one of the books today (160pages - very pleased).
    After I picked DS up from school, we went to the shop, got some butter and eggs and made vanilla cupcakes DS doesn't eat baked goods at all, he finds them, and I quote 'stodgy' But he'll have a cupcake once in a while. He made it all himself under my supervision Apparently, they tasted lovely, but I wouldn't know since I'm not eating anything like that at the moment. My weight has started creeping back down again Also been doing quite a bit of yoga every day and it makes me feel amazing. It's something I need to keep up as it's a lifelong passion and I'm very good at it but I sometimes lose my way when busy or tired. Want to make sure not a day goes by where I don't do yoga, even if it's 10min.

Got the marking from last week's mock exam and all is well, I passed. Will go through the feedback tomorrow.
    Helped DS do his homework, he really seems to need my support with work at home nowadays since it's getting a little bit harder. I don't mind, makes me feel smart since I know it all
    Last thing I need to do tonight is to find and order 11+ test workbooks for DS.

Tomorrow, I have to post the parcel, return the smaller pair of sandals to the shop and exchange one of DS's birthday presents all the way back from a few months ago since I'll be in the area anyway
    And then study.

I'm so looking forward to watching a programme tonight on mental health. It really interests me and is something I've always been very keen to know everything about. It'll also come in handy for my business.

One more thing and this is exciting Last year for my birthday my ex bought me a CBT motorbike course. It's the first step to getting a motorbike licence. I am grinning as I write this it's so exciting I have always loved bikes and grew up around them. Ex had 2, one for the road and one for the track. So I decided then, that as soon as I'm qualified I will allow myself to start passing exams for the licence and this is the first step. I will book it as soon as we're back from the holiday and do it in June
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 23rd May 18, 5:34 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Today is a day to celebrate
    I have sat my last ever CIMA exam. That's it, I'm done The exam went well, answered everything to the best of my knowledge. The results will be out in July however I am positive I have passed.

Going for lunch with a friend tomorrow to celebrate. It'll be nice to get out and start seeing my friends again after 8 weeks in this study hole

We're off on our hols on Friday for a week. Will do most of the packing tomorrow but since it's only a week we don't need that much. I'm only taking hand luggage. I've been very organised and ordered the plastic bags for liquids and some of those little bottles and tubs. I'd checked in and printed the boarding passes a while back so we're good to go.

So where do we go from here now... June will be an interesting month. Not quite sure where to start or what to start or how to start or should I even start I think I'll just start at the beginning somewhere and let the universe lead the way, it always does
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 23rd May 18, 11:02 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    TheMagician
    Had a lovely busy afternoon.
    Did a little food shop, got enough to last us until we go away.
    Vacuumed, did a load of laundry, washed up, cooked two different dinners washed up again...

I've arranged a night out with one of my besties as soon as we're back from the holiday. Haven't seen him for over 2 months because of studies so we have so much to catch up on. We're going to one of my favourite jazz bars, it'll be so much fun

I had a very pleasant surprise today I enter every single payment I make for absolutely everything into an app. I've checked my monthly spend on food for May so far and it is half (HALF!!!) of that of March and 60% of April. That is amazing! I put it down to large weekly shops and using ALdi more. I've impressed myself It just shows what being conscious with your money can do.
    • TheMagician
    • By TheMagician 24th May 18, 5:21 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    TheMagician
    The lunch was incredible! He took me to this little Thai place and I had a to die for massaman curry - beautiful And we had such a wonderful chat about everything going on in my life and plans for the future.

Have to go to a school meeting in a minute. Boring but necessary, it's about a new Head Teacher.

After the meeting I need to drop the hamsters with him for the week. My friend was scared to look after them He went, what if I squeeze them too hard and they die I was like, they're dwarf hamsters and you'll be lucky to catch them never-mind squeeze them.

I've decided I need some summer clothes. Been having a look around since last night and my ASOS basket has 300 worth of stuff in As always, at least half will be returned but I do really need tops, dresses and jeans. Will get it ordered once we're back.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,659Posts Today

5,181Users online

Martin's Twitter