pop telecom

Options
Hi, was just about to join pop telecom but thought that I would just ask a simple question about their pricing first. I still do not know their pricing information but what I did find out indicated it was expensive and needless to say I did not go for the deal. The transcript follows:

Kelsey@pop:
welcome to pop telecom how can I help?
Adrian:
What are you call charges, I cannot find them
Kelsey@pop:
9ppm landlines - 12ppm mobiles
Adrian:
thanks, is that all numbers? is there a connection fee?
Kelsey@pop:
08 numbers are separate and 14.76p connection
Adrian:
that is expensive, do you publish these figures anywhere?
Adrian:
are they for all times? do they include vat?
Kelsey@pop:
they are for all times and inc VAT
Adrian:
are they published? Can I see them? partic for 0845 etc.?
Kelsey@pop:
ill check for you 1 moment.
Adrian:
hello
Kelsey@pop:
sorry just checking
Adrian:
ok
Adrian:
it really should not be that difficult to for customers (or you) to find out, this puts me off a little
Kelsey@pop:
sorry just have a high volume of calls at the moment
Kelsey@pop:
(link to terms and conditions removed)
Adrian:
Hi, this does not give charges, you are losing me, this should be easy to find out
Adrian:
it includes link to (link removed) but this 404s :-(
Adrian:
I think that offcom if not your customers will be pretty upset by this
Adrian:
could you (or someone else) please explain why you do not have open pricing?
Kelsey@pop:
bare with me ill get management to check for you
Kelsey@pop:
do you have a phone number?
Adrian:
Yes its 01
Adrian:
do you want to end this and someone can call me later?
Kelsey@pop:
bare with me im just asking them now.
Kelsey@pop:
08435386611 if you contact this number they'll be happy to help.
Adrian:
why have you asked for my number and then asked me to call you?
Kelsey@pop:
because i asked my manager on the sales floor to call but he said you will need customer services to answer them questions so therefore i had to give you their number after.
Adrian:
Hi Kelsey, it is not your fault I am sure but this is a very bad customer / prospect experience. I was just about to purchase but I do not think I will be now. Please ask you manager whether he feels this represents a live chat experience he would be proud of.
Kelsey@pop:
Hello Sir, my name is Chris am the Tele sales Manager. Can I ask how it is I can hep you?
Adrian:
I asked a very simple and straight forward question that anyone in your organisation should be able to answer, Please read the script of this live chat to just how difficult you have found it to answer it

Kelsey@pop is now off-line and may not reply. Currently in room: Adrian.

Kelsey@pop is now on-line. Currently in room: Adrian, Kelsey@pop.

Kelsey@pop is now off-line and may not reply. Currently in room: Adrian.

Kelsey@pop is now on-line. Currently in room: Adrian, Kelsey@pop.

Kelsey@pop:
You would like to know where the pricing is published? Have you completed an order on the website because all pricing would have been published to your email address.
Adrian:
So you are now saying that I cannot find out how much it will be until I have purchased it??????
Kelsey@pop:
Of course not sir, this is the purpose of live chat incase a customer has questions they cannot find answers to in the terms and conditions. Simply by you putting an order in on the website does not complete the purchase. Purchase is not fully completed until a member of the customer services team ha called you after your order to verify everything.
Adrian:
I thought this was the purpose of live chat, I have a question, I have asked it, you still have not answered it and I really do not understand why.
Kelsey@pop:
I have answered everything you have asked me so far. Did you have another question?
Adrian:
No just the first question which is: What are your call charges?
Kelsey@pop:
9ppm landlines - 12ppm mobiles
Kelsey@pop:
0845 number are 9ppm
Kelsey@pop:
0844, 0843 and other special rate numbers are charged anything from 3 to 20ppm depending on the entire number
Kelsey@pop:
09 numbers which are premium rate numbers vary depending on the whole number, this is the same as all other providers
Adrian:
Ok this is getting us nowhere, you have failed to mention the connection fee again and there are many other bands of calls which you should publish. Needless to say I will not be completing my order. Good bye

Comments

• Roland_Sausage
    Options
    So you were going to sign up, then changed your mind?

Hardly a "nightmare".
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why would you even consider signing up in the first place without knowing the pricing?
    How did this company even get on your shortlist?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • dms05
    dms05 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I also found it very difficult to quantify poptelecom call charges. They don't seem to publish them and the link they provide leads to a 404 page. However as I was only looking for a cheap unlimited broadband provider with lowest line rental this wasn't a problem (I have enough call time on my mobile contract to mean I don't need to use any on my landline).

I signed up for their Unlimited £2.50/month (£30/year in advance) broadband and their line rental at £132 for 12 months in advance. So my total annual bill paid on completion of the order was £162 which seemed very good. However that's when the real problems started.

Poptelecom confirmed my order exactly as I'd placed it on their order page which included a free wifi router. When I received their welcome pack they had apparently enrolled me in a completely different plan which ignored my advanced payments and was going to bill me about £100 more for the service over 12 months. I complained and received no response. I complained again and was ignored. Eventually I was acknowledged and the plan was amended but they still wouldn't include my advanced payment for the broadband. At the same time they refused to comment on the free wifi router and if it was going to be supplied. I was given a <My Account> UserName and Password but neither worked and despite repeated attempts I failed to get any comments on this status.

My activation date is fast approaching and I still don't know where I stand on so much of the new service I've contracted for.

So can I recommend poptelecom? No, never, never. Go elsewhere and don't be fooled by the strap line of UK based Customer Service.
  • Jemma-T
    Jemma-T Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Options
    Never heard of them.

Fools and their money...

Take a bit of responsibility it'll save you blaming other people.
  • dms05
    dms05 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 24 July 2014 at 7:58AM
    Options
    Well what a friendly lot you all are. I take the time to show any other person with an interest in this provider my experience of trying to enrol with them. Your comments show a real deep understanding of helping others. I guess I won't bother with this unfriendly and unhelpful forum again. It also means my opinion of MSE is reduced.

For interest these people provide serious business telecoms infrastructure. The fact you seem pleased you've never heard of them says more about you than anything. Do some research before commenting in future.

Goodbye.
  • Watchpennies
    Options
    Thanks for posting, DMS05. I had just spotted Pop Telecom's cheap deal and was checking them out to see if it was a risk worth taking. You've confirmed that I won't be bothering. I hope you manage to unpick yourself from the deal successfully.
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    You are quite correct in your observation Adrian. There are some 100% smart alecs frequenting MSE with little else to do with their time other than belittle/criticise and totally ignore this "Be nice to all MoneySavers".
  • Jemma-T
    Jemma-T Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Options
    Jemma-T wrote:

That's all I'm saying.

I'm sure the OP is a lovely person etc etc.

There, I was nice.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Jemma-T wrote: »
    Never heard of them.
    Maybe you should read the MSE page on broadband. They are in number 2 position on their best deals:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband
    It is hard to see in what way dms05 is to blame for POPs poor service.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    eliesha wrote: »
    Eliesha George
    Marketing Coordinator @POP Telecom
    Hi Eliesha,

Before a company representative can post on the forum you need to get permission. The rules are not very well sign posted but you can find them here along with instructions on how to get permission or a right to reply:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-faqs?_ga=1.88171922.88245635.1395225779#companies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure