Transfer Test AQE 2014-2015

Options

Comments

• Mrs_mum
    Mrs_mum Posts: 147 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2015 at 2:19PM
    Options
    Daughter came home from school last night with the first proper homework since the AQE finished (if she has to make another poster for homework I think I am going to scream) anyway, it was 10 maths problem questions and she got 4 of them wrong, these were the sort of questions she had answered over and over again in practice pares and got them right. I knew the schools would slack off a bit once the test was over but they seem to be doing very little maths and English at all! I don't want her to forget so much of what she worked so hard on and then find she is struggling at the start of big school. Does the worrying ever end!!
  • Busy_mum_3
    Options
    Dear All
    I have already enquired at post office regarding organising to have post held over - there's no way we could have the stress of watching for the postman all day! They told me to phone the sorting office next thurs or fri and ask to have it held over for collection (probably after 8am). I think i'll just go to get it and say nothing to daughter, then bring it home unopened for her - I think that would be less stressful for her. The funny thing is that she never mentions the results whereas small brother & sister ask when they are out - their turn will come!

Regarding how to work out results there is a lot of discussion about that earlier in this blog if you want to take a look a few months back.
  • Luckymummy
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your replies!! Very nervous about the results next weekend as my son still maintains the English has let him down! Just hope he had done enough with the maths to get a grade! How is everyone feeling about next weekend?
  • We're absolutely dreading results day! Her past papers stayed at 85% for a few weeks prior to the papers, but before then she was always up and down a lot! She's convinced that it all went fine and she's passed so it'll crush Her if she doesn't get the score she's expecting :( 100 or over is all she needs, fingers crossed!

**Our postman is lovely and has said he will bring our post at 9am before he starts his rounds :)
    :hello: Animals are my friends...and I don't eat my friends:EasterBun
  • Luckymummy
    Options
    Hi veggie Northern Ireland thanks for your reply lucky for you having a friend for postman, at least you don't have the waiting game! Can you tell me what you mean by 100 I thought they needed over 212 to get over the D grade am a bit confused by all this? Sorry this is all new to me!
  • AQeeeeeeeeek
    Options
    How are the final scores worked out?

When that envelope containing your child’s AQE score comes in early 2015, will you know what those little numbers mean?

At AQE, there is no pass or fail, no grade, just a number which is your child’s “age-adjusted score”. Theoretically, this standardised score can lie anywhere between the 50s and the 140s. However the highest score last year was 129.

So how is their final score worked out?
    Your child’s score on each paper is recorded. There are 64 points available for each test – 32 each for Maths and English. The number of marks your child gets out of 64 on each test is their “raw score”.

Raw scores are age-adjusted
    In each test, your child’s score is averaged alongside other children of exactly the same age, to the nearest month. That means if your child sits all three tests, they end up with three age-adjusted scores. Marks are not simply awarded or taken away according to the date of your child’s birthday. Essentially their final score tells you how well your child performed compared to other children who are exactly the same age, to the nearest month.

Best (two!) of three
    Only your child’s best two scores count towards their final mark. If they sit all three papers, their lowest score doesn’t count at all. Their final score is the average of their best two papers.

What is the average standardised AQE score?
    Of all the children who take the tests, the average score is always 100. This is not a pass/fail mark, as every grammar school fills their places by considering applicants’ scores alongside their own criteria. Northern Ireland’s grammar schools accept a huge range of scores, so it is NOT the case that only children with scores above average will get a grammar school place.

Before you get too hung up on the actual score – here’s a thought. The score itself is a means to an end, it’s not a goal in itself. If the score your child receives gets them a place in a school of their choice, then it’s a great result, regardless of the number.

How are the tests marked?
    The marking system is really robust – you can find more details about it on the official AQE website. In a nutshell, here’s what you need to know -

Every test paper your child does is marked by THREE markers.
    After that, 20% of all papers are marked again in a quality control process.
    A further 20% are added up again. After the marking process has ended, all the papers are totalled again for a final time.
    You should feel reassured that the whole process is well thought-out and very carefully marked.

Most important of all, remind yourself, and your child, that their score is a means to an end, rather than a goal in itself. Once they are settled on their new schools, any interest in scores goes out the window, rarely (if ever) to be mentioned again!
  • Luckymummy
    Options
    Hi veggie Northern Ireland just realised your daughter probably done the AQE, think that is what you meant! If your daughter was getting those scores then she will be fine, although noone knows how they do on the day! My son was very well prepared but fell apart on the day!
  • AQeeeeeeeeek
    Options
    Taken from transfer test tips site- wouldn't let me post link
  • Luckymummy
    Options
    Thank you!!! Anyone know anything how GL assessment works?
  • Yes luckymummy my sister did the aqe.

I know it's so hard not knowing how the pressure on the day affected them, I'm hoping it pushed her to read the questions properly! Silly mistakes were a problem for her with questions that she could do easily when she thought about it!

Has anyone planned what they are going to do on results day? A quiet day in or a trip out?

** 9 Days **
    :hello: Animals are my friends...and I don't eat my friends:EasterBun
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family