Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sammy70
    • By sammy70 24th Sep 13, 4:58 PM
    • 566Posts
    • 1,737Thanks
    sammy70
    our forever patch challenge
    • 24th Sep 13, 4:58 PM
    our forever patch challenge 24th Sep 13 at 4:58 PM
    well, this week sees the new start to my mortgage free plans. After 18 months clearing debts, then paying for our wedding, which took most of our hard earned savings, we are at the beginning again.

Due to restructure at work, OH is on a reduced monthly pay, so the savings are even more of a challenge!
    Our plan is over the next two-three years, build up savings , and make over payments, untill we have enough saved to clear the outstanding balance owed on our mortgage, then sell this house, and use the sale proceeds as deposit on our "forever home", we really want somewhere with an acre or so of land, to allow me to have my own horse again, and OH to have garage/workshop he has always wanted.

we both get paid this week, i will open new savings online, and let the challenge to get our new home begin!, we get married on Friday, this will be the start of our married life adventure too, !!
Page 32
    • sammy70
    • By sammy70 6th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    sammy70
    Thaw!!
    At long last the snow has nearly all gone, the melting snow has left soggy muddy conditions, we need a light wind and sunshine to get things dried up (me wishful thinking)

The stock fencing guys are back to finish off, hopefully should be done this week, and they are pricing up to build my stable , the fencing surrounding the turnout area where the stable is going to be is being built as i type, very exciting!!

Not long until we can buy our sheep, and start the hunt for my horse , cant wait

Im back at work, and thankfully they are paying me for the snow days, so thats a relief
    current official end date of mortgage= 2037-aiming for 2030
    mortgage balance start of challenge- 25/11/2016 245,695
    overpayments 28th nov 2016- 13th October 2018 =9,260.77
    mortgage balance of currently = 217,850 13/10/18

month 9 of 21 month plan
    • sammy70
    • By sammy70 17th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    sammy70
    oh no, snow!
    i cant beleive it, we are white over with snow!!

We were hoping to get outdoor jobs done this weekend, but the weather has scuppered us again.. roll on summer

We have most of the fencing completed, they are coming back to fit 3 gates that hadnt arrived, and im still awaiting the quote for the stable..

Money is tight this month, a few unexpected costs, two tyres, and a couple of other bits, so from today till pay day ive set myself a frugal challenge to get back on track.

Ive done an online shop last week and this, to see if by just doing a list, and getting it delivered on the cheapest slot, makes it easier to stick to the grocery spend, along with saving time that i could use for other tasks, im trialling this for 4 weeks to compare.

Not a lot going on financially till payday, just daily checks that accounts are on track, and keeping spends low on food etc..

Work is mega stressful for both of us at the moment, keep wishing on that premium bond jackpot to save us from the workplace

not counting on it though, so we will have to get through the working week, things will pick up soon i hope ..

looking forward to snuggle up and treat night tonight, love our time together at the weekend, it goes too fast!

month 9 of 21 month plan
    • sammy70
    • By sammy70 28th Mar 18, 5:01 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    sammy70
    pay day ! wahey!
    Payday today

After a tight month, at last ive made a 250 overpayment, as well as 850 to DIY fund/loan etc

The new mortgage balance stands at 225,260, I will update again once the march interest, and the direct debit has updated the total balance too . The new total overpayments to date stands at 7477.77 , not bad when we consider how much we have got done too outside with the workshop/fencing etc , and we have only lived here 16 months!

We are still awaiting the quote for the stable, and the gates etc to be finished, but the weather has been pants, and the fencers are also sheep farmers, so I guess lambing is starting too so I will have to be patient (not my best feature I'm afraid!)

The signs of spring are all around, trees are budding, crocuses and daffodils are pushing their way up and nearly ready to flower, the birds are singing, days are longer, the temperature is rising, winter is over, I think spring has arrived !!

I love living here, everyday I count my blessings, and every penny paid off the mortgage takes us further towards mortgage freedom, owning our dream home outright, and hopefully an earlier retirement too to enjoy it all. Though I'm focussing on enjoying every day we are here, retirement is still a long way off, we have a lot of challenges and fun ahead of us, and I intend enjoying every minute.

Happy week to you all x Sammy x

month 9 of 21 month plan
    • try harder
    • By try harder 31st Mar 18, 8:31 AM
    • 793 Posts
    • 3,088 Thanks
    try harder
    Great savings for this month as usual Sammy .

All sounds idyllic and all going to plan . 3 months in thats gone quick .
    Happy Easter to you enjoy the weekend
    • sammy70
    • By sammy70 31st Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    sammy70
    Thanks for dropping in tryharder

Well April is month 3 of our 21 month plan , 19 to go..

We are working over the bank holiday (rainy anyway so not missing out on getting out door jobs done).. but we have a long weekend starting friday next week, 4 full days off!

Daughter and partner coming for dinner tomorrow, always nice to see them, and snuggle night tonight with hubby.

Just awaiting monthly interest for mortgage, then i can update my signature!

Happy easter everyone x

month 9 of 21 month plan
    • sammy70
    • By sammy70 2nd Apr 18, 7:49 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    sammy70
    monthend update
    March interest-409.38
    Daily= 13.20

Direct debit of 1208.83 gone out
    New outstanding balance = 224,460.55

I can believe it, today yet again we have had heavy snow

At the moment its now peeing down with rain, poor lambs being born in this awful cold weather..

month 9 of 21 month plan
    • try harder
    • By try harder 2nd Apr 18, 8:14 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 3,088 Thanks
    try harder
    Good luck for month 3 sammy
    • sammy70
    • By sammy70 6th Apr 18, 11:34 AM
    • 566 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    sammy70
    Long weekend for us!
    Made 10.55 overpayment today, rounding the balance down to a tidier amount of 224,450

Today we are work free! 4 days of enjoying our home/land, getting a couple of jobs done, general pottering and time together to recharge our frazzled batteries
    Lambs continue to be born in the field alongside our lane. I'm still awaiting, impatiently now, my fence guy to get back and finish off, so I can sort our sheep before the grass starts getting too long..

Spring is such a lovely time, I love just standing listening to the birds sing, and everyday the trees get more buds appearing, we have wild baby rabbits on the lawn this week, its a magical time

I'm going to get stuck into the weekend house tidy early today, to allow us to be out doors this next 3 days as much as possible, just hope the weather is kind..
    My grocery budget has stayed on track, and we have enough meals for ten days, just need milk and fresh fruit/salad..

The start of month 3 0f our 21 month plan is going well, fingers crossed it stays that way!

month 9 of 21 month plan
    • try harder
    • By try harder 6th Apr 18, 6:50 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 3,088 Thanks
    try harder
    Sounds like a lovely long weekend in store ,i hope its nice weather for you ,its been wonderful here since Tuesday really mild , spring is definitely here .

Keep up the good work , month 3 sounds as if its going to be good.
    • sammy70
    • By sammy70 10th Apr 18, 7:18 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    sammy70
    [B]back to work today

But, we have had a great 4 days off. We have built and hung a gate that was needed to keep sheep in, the only one we did ourselves, and a fantastic job hubby made, with me as labourer as usual

Hubby also did the work required on my car, which was a pain, but saved 200 garage bill at least

[lastly, hubby also built the little chicken house up that my son bought me for mothers day last year, he is going to get wire this week, and build an enclosure, then we are off to a local poultry supplier for our first 3/4 hens /B]

I have spent time helping hubby, i was in charge of feeding and watering us, including both kids and partners who visited sunday.

the weather has been great, ive had a few relaxing times just wandering around our land, checking fencing etc, and sitting watching the birds , listening to their lovely singing, and generally thinking this is what we worked so hard to achieve, the peace and tranquility of a lovely sunny spring day in our own countryside home

I need to focus on money saving, my mind hasnt been on it this month, so first thing is to sort meal plan for the next week, and make a small payment to the diy loan..

month 9 of 21 month plan
    • sammy70
    • By sammy70 10th Apr 18, 8:07 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    sammy70
    just paid 11.88 off diy loan , the start of many to come over the next 18 months

month 9 of 21 month plan
    • sammy70
    • By sammy70 21st Apr 18, 11:30 AM
    • 566 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    sammy70
    sunshiney weekend! yey!
    What a fantastic few days we have had with this lovely sunshine

Lambs are everywhere! yesterday I had to call the farmer next door, as I was coming hme from work, I heard pitiful crys coming from the edge of his field, on inspection I found the tiniest pure black lamb!

no mum was near, and it was bleating up at me bless it.

I held it and it was licking my neck , I'm guessing it was thirsty and hoping to find a drink anywhere in desperation!

Anyway, the farmer turned up on his quad bike, and explained he thought he was going mad, as that morning he was sure a sheep had given birth to black triplets, but when he came to collect them to move to the other field with all the other new mums, there were only two lambs.. because the lamb had somehow ended up in a small ditch on the edge of the field, he had been driving round checking all the sheep over, but it had been missed.. he was really grateful I found the little one, and after thanking me rushed off with it to give it a bottle, so a good outcome and was lovely for me too having a cuddle (from the lamb, not the farmer! )

Anyway, not a lot happening money-wise, pay day for us next week, hopefully shouls be able to overpayments to loan and mortgage, and save a little in the p.bonds as usual (had a 25 win in Aprils draw too!

My small freezer is crammed, so I'm using up everything, ther is enough meals/teas to last till end April if I'm creative, as only 170 left in the food and fuel budget that has to last for next couple of weeks, and both cars need filling.. it will be a challenge.

Anyway, off to get some cleaning done, both offspring and partners are coming for tea, its my lovely daughters 25th birthday on Monday., and we are having birthday meal...where do the years go!!

month 9 of 21 month plan
    • try harder
    • By try harder 22nd Apr 18, 6:29 AM
    • 793 Posts
    • 3,088 Thanks
    try harder
    Love the story of the little lamb , thank goodness you found it and it went safely back to its mother .

Have a good weekend and a lovely day on Monday .
    • sammy70
    • By sammy70 25th Apr 18, 9:07 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    sammy70
    Pay day

Payday shuffle done tonight, heres my offerings after all money for direct debits covered=

overpaid 250 0ff mortgage- new balance 224,200

bought 200 of p.bonds

paid 550 off diy loan

100 to xmas savings

100 to animal feed and bedding etc account

Im annoyed to say im STILL awaiting the fencing guy to quote for the stable/finish watergate/other gate

On a cheerier note, chicken world should be finished this weekend, if we get it completed for saturday, we are going to buy the chickens on sunday

Overall, month 3-( April), has been a bit spendy, 4 tyres costing 400 including tracking, and 40 mot fee all for hubbys car, have really pushed the budget, i had to borrow 300 from the diy money, which i will pay back at 50 a month, very annoying, but we need transport to go to work to earn the pennies i suppose..

this month hopefully we wont have any extra unexpected costs, and i can save a little extra , im planning on keeping a tight rein on grocery spends, and meal planning. This month ive let things slip, we have been eating too many calories, i need to lose my muffin top for summer!

month 9 of 21 month plan
    • sammy70
    • By sammy70 28th Apr 18, 2:13 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    sammy70
    Dry but cloudy here at the moment.

Just finished house tidy, and completed meal plan for the next 7 days

Monday/Tuesday will update the new mortgage balance after the interest is applied, and the direct debit has gone out, also Tuesday is the p.bonds draw, so I'm crossing everything for a win, that's what I love about putting savings in bonds, it gives you that excitement of a potential win, without the risk of losing your original money invested.

I'm determined May will be organised, both budget wise, and getting tasks completed i.e walling/chicken/sheep sorted etc.

We have a week off at the end of may, the bank holiday Monday on 7th, and also a couple of holiday days mid month, so we are going to plan out what we want to achieve, theres nothing worse than going back to work feeling flat because you didn't get things done, especially if you know if you got stuck in you could have completed them!

month 9 of 21 month plan
    • try harder
    • By try harder 1st May 18, 9:19 AM
    • 793 Posts
    • 3,088 Thanks
    try harder
    Did you get your chickens sammy ?

Hope you get a win this month fingers crossed .

April has been an awful month for me too , my worst on record i think since starting my diary two years ago everything just came at once .

Its a beautiful day here today after so much rain for days ,hope its nice where you are too
    • sammy70
    • By sammy70 2nd May 18, 8:07 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    sammy70
    Not got the chickens yet hubbys perfectionist ways means he is making this run and house like a blinkin palace, and super securing the netting, million coats of wood protector.. shouldnt complain, but look like we will be sorting chooks and sheep when we are off mid month now..

i know what you mean try harder with april being expensive! i had 440 car extra expenses, daughters birthday, extra materials for chicken world, and shopping/fuel budget went over too..

Never mind, fresh month, days are getting longer and warmer at last, lets make a fresh start and do our budgeting best to stay on track this month (although hubby decided to tell me yesterday looks like my car needs 2 front tyres this month )

Anyway, heres my mortgage updated details for 1st may-

Interest for may- 394.43
    daily =13.14
    New balance=224,594.43
    direct debit 1st May= 1208.83
    new balance 223,385.60

In the next day or so i will be getting that pesky 5.60 paid to round it to a nice 223,380

Im trying really hard to keep within budget this month, as with us having time off, salary will be less as not as much overtime will be earned, hence less to save /overpay.. lots of penny watching for us in May!

so looking forward to getting our sheep and chickens!!

month 9 of 21 month plan
    • sammy70
    • By sammy70 5th May 18, 11:17 AM
    • 566 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    sammy70
    weekend!!
    perfect sunny start to our bank holiday weekend here

The trees are nearly fully greened up, the various birds are all nesting, it is a treat to watch them in their endeavours nest building and taking food for their little ones

We have a relaxed weekend planned, general weed clearing, finishing off and putting in place chicken world, and time together to enjoy our rural nest too

Ive meal planned for the next 7 days, the grocery and fuel budget is better and on track for May after Aprils overspend.

Just need to make a small grocery shop saving this week to cover the small rounding off overpayment of 5.60!

My lovely daughter has a new job starting next week, which will help her get her finances back on track, and she will be paying back 4000 we lent her in monthly instalments, so this will go back to the diy savings too.

Right, off to get cleaning up done before hubby gets up , he worked nights last night bless him..

month 9 of 21 month plan
    • try harder
    • By try harder 5th May 18, 11:57 AM
    • 793 Posts
    • 3,088 Thanks
    try harder
    Morning sammy i was just thinking about you and i have just realized that i missed one of your posts .I look forward to hearing about your lovely home and numerous animals.

Yes i am definitely glad to see the back of April it was such an expensive month and then i became overwhelmed with the amount of money being paid out and gave up for a while feeling there was nothing i could do then everything went to pot .Anyway i feel much more positive this month so fingers crossed it will stay that way for us both and we can keep a tight rein on the spending from now on although of course some things cant be helped

So pleased to hear that your daughter has a new job and that you will have more money coming back into the savings that will make the numbers look a lot better

Its a glorious day here today i hope it is where you are too Have a lovely bank holiday weekend
    • sammy70
    • By sammy70 5th May 18, 12:38 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    sammy70
    hi Tryharder, lovely day here too, ive got two loads of washing blowing in the sunshine, nearly finished house tidy, then im going to get out in the sunshine, i love being outdoors, its a bonus when the weather is as glorious as today!

i think we just have to keep putting things into perspective when the finances dont go our way. We are at least doing something to help ourselves to a mortgage free future, unlike a lot of people who just are adding to debts for clothes/holidays/new cars , latest gadgets etc, which will have probably been discarded long before the debt to pay for them is cleared.. each to their own i suppose, but i prefer my way !

month 9 of 21 month plan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

336Posts Today

5,121Users online

Martin's Twitter