PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

the whistleblower undercover in supermarkets

Options
juswt heard on the wright stuff that there is a programme on tonight on bbc1 called the whistle blower...

where an undercover reporter went to work in sainsburys and tescos.... and what went on at the meat counters.....

like ..re-dating out of date meat....re- cutting a piece of meat to take the bad bits off etc..

looks very interesting......

sooooooooooooooo glad i dont shop in supermarkets no more......
Work to live= not live to work

Comments

• jovichick123
    jovichick123 Posts: 942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lol thanks for this, might have a look at it! OH has just said that if Sainsbury's are involved, it can't be good for Jamie Oliver's PR!
  • mummyto3_2
    mummyto3_2 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    Just read all about it on the bbc website http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6676345.stm

makes interesting reading!
  • Anastacia
    Anastacia Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    or maybe just the same reason back to us again. Check out the BBC news website - whistleblower report on 'fresh' food in supermarkets. Yukky!

Sorry I dont know how to do links

Oops, just noticed that COOL TRIKER CHICK is already on the case.

Soz
    ....another happy bug.........sorry,blogger embracing the simple life
  • Irishmummyof2
    Irishmummyof2 Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    that sainsubrys has stopped their reduced section, maybe it's down to the bbc reports.
    I usually got my meat in it when it was cheaper but feeling very ill now at the thoughts behind it, going to local butchers from now on.
    I would like to be able to admire a man’s opinions as I would his dog - without being expected to take it home with me."
    - Frank A. Clark
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'll reserve any "judgment" until I've seen the programme, but highlights on Breakfast TV suggested that there were "rogue" employees or even managers in some stores. In other words, the Supermarkets have clear policies for dealing with out of date food, but that staff in some stores are deliberately ignoring them!

I'm no fan of supermarkets, but have an equal healthy disrepect for the media, who choose to spin the unbiased truth to produce a "good story" or to inject a degree of sensationalism. :rolleyes: :mad:
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • ilovegreatdanes
    ilovegreatdanes Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    Options
    have worked in one of the big supermarkets and at MDs and , believe me, this sort of thing goes on all the time.its not the exception, its the norm.they are just embarrassed cos everyones gonna know what goes on.
    People bring great joy into our lives..some by arriving, others by leaving.im trying to be one of the former, so please bear with :)

LOVE ME, LOVE MY NEWFOUNDLAND.:A
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi I have merged all the threads on this together to keep the replies in one place. The programme should make interesting viewing.

Pink
  • RDA
    RDA Posts: 215 Forumite
    Options
    I don't imagine that the large supermarkets condone this practice for one moment. They have invested considerable sums of money in their brands and have cultivated a wholesome image over several years.

The risk of exposure by customers and Trading Standards simply do not make this activity worthwhile.

It is more likely that local budgetary pressures have come into play where departmental managers are being criticised for wastage and have followed their own game plan to rectifiy the situation.

It makes good TV for the BBC, but remember that they're journalists at the end of the day and we all know know how truthful they are.:D
  • chrisico
    chrisico Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's somewhat naive to think that this sort of thing only goes on in supermarkets.
    Corner shops,butchers and other independants are not exempt from this sort of dodgy practice. I have been sold bad meat, rotten eggs, out of date tins and packets in my many, many years of food shopping and I have found that supermarkets,though not angels by any means, have so much more to lose through this sort of bad publicity than the bloke in the corner shop.

Chrisico
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I worked in tescos and I ran the instore bakery there.

I was exceptionally proud of the tight ship i ran there and the place was spotless.

everything was cleared out at the end of the day ( unsold reductions went to the homeless shelter) not only did we have to have 2 hours cleaning, we had cleaners employed as well.

there was more unscrupulous activity ( ie the stale bit of a lump of cheese cut off and binned) to be fair i do this in my own home and I dont think this constitutes any breach of food handling standards.

In saying that I had a basic food hygiene cert when I started at tescos and not many other people did. Which i think was one of the reasons I was made manager at 19. :A
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills