Anyone made a purchase from Discount Mobility Direct?

Options
zaksmum
zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 10 April 2013 at 12:28PM in Disability money matters
I took delivery of a mobility scooter today and was not expecting it to need assembling! I tried to understand the booklet that came with it but it's not very clear so phoned the company with a query.
They said I should've booked the services of an engineer at £80 if I needed help - which I certainly wasn't expecting to!

They gave me the number of the carriers who equally couldn't help! Then when I called back, gave me the number of the manufacturers, Pride Mobility.

The company said they did not deal direct with the public.

So back to Discount Mobility Direct where I was rather grudgingly given a bit of advice.

I've got the scooter on it's first charge tonight but though the charger is lit up, there are no lights on the tiller console display to indicate power levels. Do these only light after charging when the key's turned?

After the hassle I had today I'm reluctant to call back again - but it looks like their after sales service is totally non existent:(

Comments

• sueturnersmith
    Options
    zaksmum wrote: »
    I've got the scooter on it's first charge tonight but though the charger is lit up, there are no lights on the tiller console display to indicate power levels. Do these only light after charging when the key's turned?
    :(

That's correct. The console will only display when the key is switched on.
  • luminated
    luminated Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about your problems as we can all do without these added life issues when there is no need for it.

Since becoming less able to use my legs (now two sticks, or wheelchair for more than 0-80 yards depending on the day) I have seen the worst but also the best in people. It is very hard to develop a mind set to let it all go over your head.

I do hope you get sorted soon.
  • zaksmum
    Options
    Thank you sue and luminated. The first charge is still ongoing and I'll try it with the key after a couple more hours.

You've been a lot more helpful than Discount Mobility Direct!

Anyone buying from them needs to be aware that the scooter will need a good bit of assembly which was not made clear to me.
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    Luminated, you've hit the nail on the head with that one. My dd is still at the embarrassment/frustrated stage, and hates when she needs to shout excuse me to people who are stood gassing in the supermarket. I think if she had been a driver before hand she may have learned a little more patience.

Zaksmum - You know anyone that's handy with DIY projects like building IKEA furniture, sounds like you could have used someone like that around. Hope it all goes well for you x
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • luminated
    luminated Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    Options
    I have to learn to be more patient but I used to be a lot more Macho than I am now. Still, in the past fortnight, I have argued with two people who have used a disabled space with no blue badge. God it makes me so mad.

I must learn patience as my heart is not good, not good at all, and an argument could prove my downfall in a big way (drop down dead in the street - way to go?) - but that is me and very hard to change. But I must try and change for my wifes sake.
  • mazza111
    Options
    Patience is the key to many things in life it seems. I see the dd getting rather red in the face trying to deal with them lol. She's not been tested for POTS yet, but wouldn't surprise me if she's got that along with the HMS, it's quite common, but as long as it's not bothering her... Have enough problems trying to get one bit fixed :rotfl: I'm sure the patience thing will come as she gains more experience on the scooter. She is getting a bit better, although the hood still goes up when she's on one. She should really start using the horn if they don't respond to the excuse me request.:rotfl:
  • zaksmum
    Options
    Nothing more annoying than being treated as if you're invisible. Got into a lift recently on a scooter and a lady said over my head to O/H "AWWW...what's wrong with her?" Felt like giving her a rather unladylike mouthful...!
  • mazza111
    Options
    LOL - I would just have said, Are you talking to me or about me?
  • zaksmum
    Options
    Couldn't tell you what I FELT like saying..!
  • mazza111
    Options
    Easier said than done, but to keep it polite, try and say something like above... they don't know where to look then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport