Enjoying the journey to becoming debt free - paying back the credit cards

Options
After thinking it over for a month or so, I knew it was time to start a new diary to focus on the next phase of change. The last one saw me move from a point of low self confidence, end of a relationship, overweight and unfit to where I am now a fabulous 2st lighter, exercising regularly and full of confidence and feeling so much better as a result. I stopped my ridicuous TV shopping addiction, stopped spending ridiculous amounts on skincare and make up. Downbranded on all of this and guess what, no difference - apart from less money. I was looking for a quick fix in beauty products to make me feel better. Guess what? It didn't work. I had to work on myself first.

I buy clothes and shoes in the sales. Now, due to the tremendous weight loss over the last year or so not much fitted me from before so I sold them, and replaced with sale items nothing costing more than £20 and most things costing a lot less. Amazing what you can find for under a tenner that originally cost a lot more - jacket for £9 instead of £45 for example? Tried to get things that weren't overly trendy and would last more than a couple of years.

The focus is on maintaining a healthy weight so these new clothes get worn. I didn't want to keep the bigger clothes just in case either - no chance of returning back to that previous lifestyle. I feel my thinking has changed for good over the last 2yrs. It was a long journey, really hard at times but I'm so glad I'm at this point now.

Here is this particular journey which focused on all of this over the last 2yrs http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2608025

Still the thought of how much debt I owe nibbled away at my mind, knowing how much I owe on a long term loan which has 2yrs to go and the credit cards full of debt. As I faced up to so many parts of my life and changed them for the better I'm now at the point where I know, I need, I want to and will repay these debts to achieve my aim of being debt free from CC and having my money for myself.

This is the focus for this diary - repay the credit cards and improve my credit rating from satisfactory to good.

What's going to help me?

1. Work out a repayment plan
  2. Contact the CC companies to ask them to lower the APR and possibilities of a BT - no chance at the moment, doesn't hurt to ask
  3. Rejoin NSD challenge - it helped me before
  4. Set monthly and weekly budget for food shopping
  5. Write a shopping list for each week and stick to it
  6. Eat the food I have in the cupboards and freezer
  7. Write a list of things I don't need at all and keep it handy to remind me
  8. Don't buy any clothes or shoes at all for the rest of Sept and all of October
  9. Remember I don't need any skincare, haircare or make up until I have run out
  10. Continue low cost exercise - its worked to get me here and remember I did it without joining a gym and paying for that :D
final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155

Comments

• WelshWoofer
    Options
    Good luck Sparkles!:j:j:j
    A good plan - may steal some of your ideas!
  • fedupandskint
    Options
    Thanks WW.

First update - notebooks found. One is the called 'Journey to becoming debt free' and has the list above on the first page for me to work through to start off with. Second one is a small spending diary for me to record what I spend and also to use for my food shopping lists to keep them in the same place.

Today is a NSD first one since I started taking note of them today - its a start!
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 September 2012 at 8:50PM
    Options
    A very productive couple of hours. A third of the garden tidied up and recycling bin almost full. 2 accidentally snipped roses now in a vase cheering tbe kitchen up.

Had a rifle through autumn and winter shoes - chucked out one old knackered pair, cleaned all the others ready to go and found a pair of knee high boots never worn now fit on my calves - result! No need for a new pair then. Keep wearing what I aleady own!

2 pairs need reheeling and I'll take these in at the start of next month. Also used up a tin of protector spray had for about 6+yrs. Hmm, guess I didn't use it much huh?

Lesson learned and will now keep an eye out for a reasonably priced new one to keep on top of this over the next few months to aim to get more than one season out of my boots and shoes. Mind you I just rejuevinated a suede pair which I should get one more year out of as long as they don't fall apart first!

Continuing my low cost exercise - still have long dog walk and Rin30 left to do then its onto a bit of fabbiness for me, get work stuff ready including lunch stuff to save some time in the morning.

No money spent today - yeah!
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rin30 completed along with quite a tiring dog walk afterwards. Finished off the bar of chocolate and won't buy another bar this week to keep the food shopping spends on track and on list

Aiming to have another NSD tomorrow then Tues will need to fill the car up unless I do tomorrow and I'll swop the days around
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Good luck Sparkles. I shall be watching you....:rotfl:
  • Rainbow_Bridge
    Options
    Well done on all that you've achieved so far and all the best for your continued journey x
    Weight 12 st 2lb - Now 11 stone 1 lb (-15 lb)
    Saving £0 Now £1,000.00-J Cricket fund £200.00
    £70.00/£350.00 grocery challenge in October
    Custardy's 9000 reps by the new year 3000/9000
    £10.00 a day extra earnings - £127.00/£310.00
    “What the caterpillar calls the end, the rest of the world calls a butterfly.” Lao Tse
  • laura2481
    laura2481 Posts: 4,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good luck on the new leg of your journey fedupandskint :) I shall subscribe and follow you along the ways as I am just starting again my self. :)
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Options
    *subscribes*

Cos if anyone can inspire me it's you Sparkles ;)
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • fedupandskint
    Options
    Firstly, thank you all for popping in the wish me well on my way forwards. I never realised I was so inspirational!

Well what to report today - did cave in with som emore bargains today - 47p shampoo reduced from £4.69 each and a intensive light hair conditioner - 47p reduced from something similar and a hair mask the same 47p reduced from £4.99, a sm travel sized body wash for 49p to go into a Christmas hamper for mum which will be made up of her favourite products and some new ones to try out. I did this last year and found some things she really liked from it. I've set a budget of £25 for this for haircare and styling, skincare and body lotions and maybe a travel collection in there too. I do have some shower gel that could go in it too left over from previous years, in fact it will go in at no cost as I can't remember how much it did cost - about £5 equivalent from my ridiculous TV shopping days in a big box.

Just gave some present ideas some thought today to set a budget and some ideas. At the moment for mum thinking about a pamper hamper to include slippers and a dressing gown if needed (will ask first) along with the above at additional cost

Felt too tired to go out for a bike ride so thought I might read a few papers for my uni work instead and get back to the exercise tomorrow
  • WelshWoofer
    Options
    More great bargains! How do you find them? I never find any:mad:
    Tiredness is a theme today - we're all shattered.
    Will have to start thinking about Xmas too..... will be here before we know it.:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure