NPower ignoring complaint

Options
laptop80
laptop80 Posts: 203 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I had cause to complain to NPower over a month ago (a long story, but basically they had sent me a threatening letter out of the blue about breaking my door down to check my meter, then didn't bother to turn up to a scheduled appointment when I waited in all day).

They didn't reply for 2 weeks so I contacted them again, sparking a reply offering me a £20 sweetener for not replying to the complaint - there was no mention of the missed appointment that was the cause of the original complaint, let alone an apology.

Apparently if a utility company misses a scheduled appointment then you are entitled to compensation for that, plus a further payment if they don't pay it within 10 days. I replied saying that their response wasn't adequate (there were a few other issues raised too) but almost 3 weeks later they have completely ignored me, even though I have copied in the 'Executive Team'.

What is the protocol here? NPower's own guidance says they will do their best to resolve any complaints within 10 working days and if not will keep you informed of progress and provide a likely timescale. They have now failed to do this not once, but twice.

Will I now just have to wait until it's been 8 weeks and pass it to Ofgem? Also, do I need to stay with NPower while I'm in the process of making the complaint, as my contract is up and after my experience with them I would like to move to another supplier.

The complaint itself would have been easily resolved, and I would probably have been happy with the £20 and an apology for messing me about, but it's the off-hand way they have 'dealt' with the complaint that has riled me and I now want to see the complaint through properly as a matter of principle.

Comments

• laptop80
    Options
    jalexa wrote: »
    The protocol here is simply to follow scrupulously the process laid out in the complaints procedure. The "10 day" periods are just targets, but the "8 weeks" is a fixed period after which if you remain dissatisfied you are entitled to ask the Energy Ombudsman to consider the complaint.

Follow the procedure to the letter and just be patient for 8 weeks.

Thanks. Do you know if I would be able to move away from NPower, or would I have to stay with them until it's resolved to give them chance to deal with the complaint?
  • Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    Suggest reading these as payment is explained.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4011655&highlight=gsos

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3976697&highlight=gsos

In terms of switching, if you have Outstanding Charges they are entitled to object unless they are made of entirely or partially of one or both of Disputed Charges or Supplier Error Amount. The latter is where the supplier has caused an accumulation.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Even if you change, the gsi will still have to be done
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    laptop80 wrote: »
    I had cause to complain to nPower over a month ago
    I tried to get nPower to sort my direct debit out for over a year. Still haven't done it and I am changing supplier.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Terrylw1
    Options
    NigeWick wrote: »
    I tried to get nPower to sort my direct debit out for over a year. Still haven't done it and I am changing supplier.

After 8 weeks of a complaint you can raise it to the ombudsman.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi laptop80,

I'm really sorry to see that you feel this way.

I'd like to get this sorted for you ASAP, so if you can send me all the details to forumresponse@npower.com, I can have this looked into.

Many thanks,

Adam
    :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • laptop80
    Options
    The customer service rep I spoke to on the phone last week wanted to get it sorted for me too. He went off and spoke to the complaints team and, after being puzzled that no-one had come back to me, said that they would phone me the next day - even specifying the time of day they would call.

Did they call me? Did they heck.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not going to email you Adam. I have already sent four or five emails, submitted as many queries again through the online complaints form and spoken to someone over the phone who assured me that someone would call me back.

No, I'll now wait in vain for NPower to get back to me through the proper complaints channels, not as a face-saving PR exercise on a forum. I know they almost certainly won't, but a utility company completely ignoring complaints strikes me as something the ombudsman should be looking into, and ultimately it's the only way NPower might sort their act out. Another few weeks to go and Ofgem can sort it out.

Cheers.
  • Terrylw1
    Options
    The ombudsman is independent and part of the ombudsman scheme.

There are far more serious issues which the ombudsman doesn't collate and pass onto Ofgem.

I wonder why Ofgem were so keen to get rid of the complaints to them?

You can report it to Ofgem as they have a consumers team which can be found on their website but they look into issues of policy and licence breaches.

It will cost them for a referral from you the ombudsman, hence they may become much more eager to help you when it gets close to 8 weeks, but less so up to there...;):D
  • venumal
    Options
    I posted originally about total confusion over my gas account with npower. They mix up my meter number with someone else's, try to increase my direct debit threefold, write numerous confusing letters coming from different people and even use my phone number as the meter number! I am still paying monthly a vastly inflated sum in order to keep warm and have spent many hours on writing letters and e mails to them. I cannot now access my account online which had extraordinary discrepancies such as thousands of ££s being added (though I live in small flat) and cannot contact anyone successfully about this. Despair!
    Venumal
  • undaunted
    undaunted Posts: 1,870 Forumite
    Options
    jalexa wrote: »
    One consideration however is that complaints are commonly settled on an "ex-gratia" basis. It is possible that less generous "ex-gratia" terms might be offered to an ex-customer.

I would get out whilst you can regardless. If you think they've been "off hand" so far they only get worse & I can't imagine any difference being sufficient to bother with it. Npower have a reputation for poor handling of complaints - even Ofgem & Energywatch report(s) have criticised them for it in the past
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure