Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 8th May 11, 12:43 PM
    • 2,188Posts
    • 3,441Thanks
    Grimbal
    The "have a look at this!" thread
    • 8th May 11, 12:43 PM
    The "have a look at this!" thread 8th May 11 at 12:43 PM
    How about starting up a thread dedicated to the interesting properties that we come across in our searches ?

I'll start off with this one - fairly average, until you look at it via Property Bee. It's been on since 2008 !!

History
    date event
    07 December 2010

Price changed: from '299,950' to '319,950'

14 October 2010

Price changed: from '319,950' to '299,950'

21 September 2010

Price changed: from '329,950' to '319,950'
    Status changed: from 'Sold STC' to 'Available'

14 June 2010

Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Sold STC'

30 August 2009

Price changed: from '349,950' to '329,950'

05 December 2008

Subtitle changed: 4 bedroom detached house

02 October 2008

Price changed: from '369,950' to '349,950'

25 July 2008

Initial entry found.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
Page 1
  • tyler80
    • 8th May 11, 12:59 PM
    • 8th May 11, 12:59 PM
    3 years and 5 months and the price has dropped a grand total of 10,000 pounds. Been sitting empty all that time too

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-8816373.html

Friday, May 06, 2011 6:13:08 PM

* Price changed: 129,950 Offers in Excess of 125,000

Friday, February 11, 2011 8:42:42 PM

* Brief Description changed: A DECEPTIVELY SPACIOUS three bedroom semi detached property REFURBISHED by the current owners being sold with NO UPWARD CHAIN. (contd...)
    * Price changed: from '125,000' to '129,950'

Thursday, December 02, 2010 8:14:56 PM

* Brief Description changed: THIS PROPERTY WILL BE REDUCED TO A SPECIAL PRICE FOR OUR SALE ON THE 4TH & 5TH DECEMBER- CALL TO REGISTER YOUR INTEREST. A DECEPTIVELY SPACIOUS three bedroom semi detached property REFURBISHED by the current owners being sold with NO UPWARD CHAIN. (contd...)
    * Price changed: from '129,950' to '125,000'

Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:01:59 PM

* Price changed: Offers in Excess of 135,000 129,950

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 2:23:49 PM

* Subtitle changed: 3 bedroom semi-detached house

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 7:57:14 PM

* Initial entry found
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 8th May 11, 1:02 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 3,441 Thanks
    Grimbal
    • 8th May 11, 1:02 PM
    • 8th May 11, 1:02 PM
    makes you wonder what's going on doesn't it?! The one I posted is a tad on the high side for the area, but not ridiculously so.

My favourite "have a look at this" property atm though has to be this one. The last picture always makes me smile
    Last edited by Grimbal; 08-05-2011 at 1:05 PM.
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
  • WelshNic
    • 8th May 11, 2:01 PM
    • 8th May 11, 2:01 PM
    Grimbal I'll be on rightmove this week, I'm hoping I don't turn up in this thread

I saw one a few weeks ago and according to property bee it had been on for 2 yrs and every 3 weeks they'd put the price up/down by 25k - most odd!
    • harrup
    • By harrup 8th May 11, 3:11 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 859 Thanks
    harrup
    • 8th May 11, 3:11 PM
    • 8th May 11, 3:11 PM
    My favourite "have a look at this" property atm though has to be this one. The last picture always makes me smile
    Originally posted by Grimbal

Very cute...and clever advertising, too. I can't be the only soppy dog owner out there - that picture alone might swing the decision between this house and a similar one for me.

Incidentally...I do like the house in itself. But that pup made me like it even more.
    • cheap_charlie
    • By cheap_charlie 8th May 11, 3:14 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 960 Thanks
    cheap_charlie
    • 8th May 11, 3:14 PM
    • 8th May 11, 3:14 PM
    makes you wonder what's going on doesn't it?! The one I posted is a tad on the high side for the area, but not ridiculously so.

Originally posted by Grimbal
    LOL!

Is the dog included in the price then?!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2010 - member 402

• t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 8th May 11, 3:24 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 8th May 11, 3:24 PM
    • 8th May 11, 3:24 PM
    The dog would put me off. Can't stand the smell of a place with a dog. The owner doesn't usually think there's a smell but I can assure them, there is.
    • harrup
    • By harrup 8th May 11, 3:36 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 859 Thanks
    harrup
    • 8th May 11, 3:36 PM
    • 8th May 11, 3:36 PM
    The dog would put me off. Can't stand the smell of a place with a dog. The owner doesn't usually think there's a smell but I can assure them, there is.
    Originally posted by t0rt0ise
    I hear what you are saying - and this is from a person who loves dogs. It is fiendishly hard to eradicate dog odour even from the most well groomed and well kept of dogs.

Still, what often makes me laugh, I find the people who are MOST sensitive to even the faintest of dog odours...are young parents. Believe me - their places often STINK. From soiled nappies, spilt milk which has gone rancid and sour on carpets and soft furnishings - yet they are so accustomed to this smell ...they no longer register it at all.

If I truly liked the house though - be that from previous pets or previous kids - it wouldn't deter me one iota. So you have the house professionally shampooed and cleaned - no big deal.
  • loveGSDs
    • 8th May 11, 3:53 PM
    • 8th May 11, 3:53 PM
    Very cute...and clever advertising, too. I can't be the only soppy dog owner out there - that picture alone might swing the decision between this house and a similar one for me.

Incidentally...I do like the house in itself. But that pup made me like it even more.
    Originally posted by harrup
    Id buy it for that pic alone! but then i do have a bit of a gsd obsession
    Moved into dream house - 17/08/12
    Savings - 600
    Xmas 2013 - 43
    Credit card - 2741
  • WelshNic

Originally posted by harrup
    I'll see if I can find it later but I saw another where the kitchen photo was looking at the back door and a very sad dog was looking in from outside awww
    • Tinkaf1
    • By Tinkaf1 8th May 11, 5:00 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Tinkaf1
    Cute dog looking out saying "please don't buy my house" can you spot him?
    http://powering.expertagent.co.uk/(S(iaqqggulpqhmxzfody1co4vf))/propertyImage.aspx?aid={9260d39c-1b7f-4074-b386-471709fc687b}&pid={a994eefb-3960-4f38-9614-fbf337b814dc}&pic=85S009.jpg&height=600&width=800

hope it worked!
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 8th May 11, 5:17 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 3,441 Thanks
    Grimbal
    Awww, is he guarding the front door from those pesky house hunters?
  • The Drama Llama
    I like this one:
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33610865.html

Property Bee:

19 April 2011 13:30:34
    • Price changed: 239,950 339,950
    18 April 2011 18:21:01
    • Price found: 239,950
    • Status found: Available

You can almost hear the phone call...

Last edited by The Drama Llama; 08-05-2011 at 7:16 PM.
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 9th May 11, 5:53 AM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 3,441 Thanks
    Grimbal
    ooh, that's a good one We had problems with our first EAs when it came to them checking their work - not on that scale though!
  • The Drama Llama
    Even at 239 it's a ridiculous price. And position-wise it's in the middle of Brighton tourist hell: close to the station, in the area with the bohemian shops...noisy, crowded etc. I wouldn't live there...
    • celyn90
    • By celyn90 9th May 11, 6:21 AM
    • 3,225 Posts
    • 15,221 Thanks
    celyn90
    Originally posted by t0rt0ise
    I agree. We looked at one where the carpet seemed to be knitted from discarded animal fluff and the smell made me want retch as we walked in. I must admit I did ask the agent that when we viewed I would be really grateful if they could warn me beforehand if the owners had pets - dogs scare the hell out of me, and I would have massive difficulty viewing a house if there was one present as I'd be on edge all the time. They were happy to do that - apparently it's not an uncommon request either.

Mind you the other one we looked at that day had an incredibly cute cat deployed to make me want the house
    beware of geeks bearing .gifs...

Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree
    • Grimbal
    • By Grimbal 9th May 11, 7:56 AM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 3,441 Thanks
    Grimbal
    Even at 239 it's a ridiculous price. And position-wise it's in the middle of Brighton tourist hell: close to the station, in the area with the bohemian shops...noisy, crowded etc. I wouldn't live there...
    Originally posted by The Drama Llama

Ah, but some (not me!) would see that as a plus point. I was actually thinking that 239 was a bargain - shows you what a bubble Horsham (30 odd miles north of Brighton) is
  • MuddledOfMiddlesex
    Well, Drama Llama, as someone house-hunting in that exact area, I really like the fact that the N Laine is close to the station and the cafes. Though I agree, Kemp St is on the tourist main drag, it varies street by street. Takes all sorts, eh?

My own personal favourite house in that area, with the same agent, is this one:
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28325635.html

Check out Photo 6 in particular. We actually went round it, just in case it was a hidden bargain with something truly amazing there that didn't show in the photos. Nope. But there were some attractive underpants on display (I think they've removed a photo that featured the very same pants in the same position). The price has already come down 50,000, I think.
  • loveGSDs
    I agree. We looked at one where the carpet seemed to be knitted from discarded animal fluff and the smell made me want retch as we walked in. I must admit I did ask the agent that when we viewed I would be really grateful if they could warn me beforehand if the owners had pets - dogs scare the hell out of me, and I would have massive difficulty viewing a house if there was one present as I'd be on edge all the time. They were happy to do that - apparently it's not an uncommon request either.

Mind you the other one we looked at that day had an incredibly cute cat deployed to make me want the house
    Originally posted by celyn90

oh man im going to need to make sure iv farmed my 4 legged lot out to friends and family before any valuations/viewings and fumigate the place lol

its hard to remove doggy smells and it does get me down at times.
    Moved into dream house - 17/08/12
    Savings - 600
    Xmas 2013 - 43
    Credit card - 2741
    • celyn90
    • By celyn90 9th May 11, 9:29 AM
    • 3,225 Posts
    • 15,221 Thanks
    celyn90
    It is really hard. My parents have always had cats and the house smells of cat quite a bit

I wouldn't not view a house where the owner had pets and the smell wouldn't put me off buying; I just get super freaked out round dogs so if they can be out of the way, I would be eternally grateful. I know it's my problem, not theirs.

The one we saw that had the dog hair carpet was generally in really bad condition (ceilings collapsing type bad condition). To be honest, I felt sorry that the dog had to live in it

Well, Drama Llama, as someone house-hunting in that exact area, I really like the fact that the N Laine is close to the station and the cafes. Though I agree, Kemp St is on the tourist main drag, it varies street by street. Takes all sorts, eh?

My own personal favourite house in that area, with the same agent, is this one:
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28325635.html

Check out Photo 6 in particular. We actually went round it, just in case it was a hidden bargain with something truly amazing there that didn't show in the photos. Nope. But there were some attractive underpants on display (I think they've removed a photo that featured the very same pants in the same position). The price has already come down 50,000, I think.
    Originally posted by MuddledOfMiddlesex
    I could live with the office full of junk - but photo 7? Why? And I'd ditch photo 9 as well, unless MC Escher was booked in for a viewing. I get photos like that if I forget to switch my phone camera off.
    Last edited by celyn90; 09-05-2011 at 9:36 AM.
    beware of geeks bearing .gifs...

Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,968Posts Today

8,233Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Has anyone successfully reclaimed PPI on behalf of a deceased relative. I'm doing a blog on how to do it, and I'd? https://t.co/PHXJXCzvc6

• Follow Martin