Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 29th Dec 10, 5:03 PM
    • 7,247Posts
    • 31,521Thanks
    charlies_mum
    The Great Declutter Part 3 - 2011
    • 29th Dec 10, 5:03 PM
    The Great Declutter Part 3 - 2011 29th Dec 10 at 5:03 PM
    Hi everyone

I have been asked whether I wanted to start a new Decluttering Thread, and as it is still proving useful to some members, have opened a new one for 2011.

I keep dipping in and out, and am put to shame by everyone's efforts

No, I'm still not there yet, but definitely next year ...

And I think I will start declaring what is going out. Might keep me more focused.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 04-01-2011 at 3:53 PM.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
Page 1
    • TudorRose
    • By TudorRose 29th Dec 10, 5:17 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 3,875 Thanks
    TudorRose
    • 29th Dec 10, 5:17 PM
    • 29th Dec 10, 5:17 PM
    Thanks for starting this thread.My house stillhas plenty that needs to be dumped/sold/re-homed.
    Got off to a good start in Jan & Feb this year then just fizzled out.
    Did make a start today & chucked some old carrier bags & put some items back into the boot of the car where they belong. Not much but better than nothing.
    • babyboysmommy
    • By babyboysmommy 29th Dec 10, 5:24 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 4,411 Thanks
    babyboysmommy
    • 29th Dec 10, 5:24 PM
    • 29th Dec 10, 5:24 PM
    Thank you for a 2011 thread. I'm going to start when DS goes back to school next week. We are expecting another baby but as the house is no bigger I need to find more space by decluttering where ever possible.
    • Rummer
    • By Rummer 29th Dec 10, 5:36 PM
    • 6,427 Posts
    • 37,994 Thanks
    Rummer
    • 29th Dec 10, 5:36 PM
    • 29th Dec 10, 5:36 PM
    I have been decluttering with a passion and have managed to clear a lot of space over the last few months which has been bliss! Many of the things have gone to friends and family of through freecycle so they have found new and loving homes!
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
    • Kitchenbunny
    • By Kitchenbunny 29th Dec 10, 5:40 PM
    • 1,858 Posts
    • 20,219 Thanks
    Kitchenbunny
    • 29th Dec 10, 5:40 PM
    • 29th Dec 10, 5:40 PM
    I'm in. In the next week or so my decluttering mission begins and I'll go through my cupboards trying to get rid of what I don't need. I am a bit of a hoarder anyway, so it'll be good to get things a bit clearer. Thanks for starting a 2011 thread!

KB xx

• beemuzed
    • By beemuzed 29th Dec 10, 6:13 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 20,281 Thanks
    beemuzed
    • 29th Dec 10, 6:13 PM
    • 29th Dec 10, 6:13 PM
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who still has a long, long way to go on the decluttering front. Nice new thread too. Thank you!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 29th Dec 10, 6:16 PM
    • 5,111 Posts
    • 11,629 Thanks
    Money maker
    • 29th Dec 10, 6:16 PM
    I'm back on board again. Got a little bit done today but even though kids are at MIL's, don't feel very motivated.

Must try harder.

Thanks for the new thread - reckon I'll be signing up for a few more years yet!
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • *Jellie*
    • By *Jellie* 29th Dec 10, 6:16 PM
    • 2,924 Posts
    • 13,523 Thanks
    *Jellie*
    Thanks for the new thread- I haven't posted much but have done really well over the last year. I still have a lot to do though. Targets for 2011
    1. Sort out study, utility room, bedroom 3, garage and sheds.
    2. Continue to whittle away at clothes, books, DVDs etc. To get them within the space limits I am aiming for.
    3. Operate a one in, one out system.
    4. Use it or lose it!
    Completely crazy clothes challenge 2018 40/0!!
  • mineallmine
    • 29th Dec 10, 6:59 PM
    • 29th Dec 10, 6:59 PM
    Hia cm

Thanks for the new thread. I'm defo in again for 2011.

I also did well in 2010 (see sig!). But we've had a lot of illness again this year and so things have been slipping again.

My targets for 2011 are:
    - Clutter free lounge
    - Organised understairs cupboard that can fit the hoover!
    - Organised kitchen with as little stuff as possible on the surfaces
    - Box room sorted with new furniture to store family photos and stuff
    - Other spare room sorted with a smaller PC desk
    - Employ a cleaner to help keep things ship shape

I'm just finishing off my final target for 2010 to get rid of 500 things in 5 days - ie by 1st Jan (I started this Monday). That will leave my total things decluttered at nearly 2,010 things. Eeek!
    Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    Fab thread: Long daily walks
    • Callisto
    • By Callisto 29th Dec 10, 7:32 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 3,701 Thanks
    Callisto
    Yippee, pretty shiny new thread, thanks charlies_mum!

My aims for 2011 are:

To declutter the spare room and to be able to use it as a multi function guest room and home gym without tripping over everything.

To find a 'place' for everything.

To stop my pc desk from being a paperwork 'hotspot', I'm going to set up a proper filing system!

• Sue14
    • By Sue14 29th Dec 10, 7:40 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 10,846 Thanks
    Sue14
    I'm definitely in, I've got rid of loads this year but still have a long way to go, I'm not back to work until Friday and then I've got another 3 days off, so will try to do some de-cluttering while I'm off.
    Weight loss challenge 1/10lbs
    Total weight loss 25lbs

• charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 29th Dec 10, 7:42 PM
    • 7,247 Posts
    • 31,521 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Well, we spent all Christmas Eve clearing the dining room so we could actually sit to each Christmas lunch.

Must try not to let it get cluttered again. Me excuse is that I have a small business, so stock comes in and then goes out again - eventually

Must not let the clutter back into the dining room
    Must not let the clutter back into the dining room
    Must not let the clutter back into the dining room .....
  • Tropicalmoments
    This sounds exactly what I need.

I've got 2 rooms full of clutter (in fact mostly junk) which both need to be emptied. My dd is off to Australia in February for a couple of years and my ds should be getting a place of his own early 2011 so it'll just be me and dh. We'd really like to downsize but need to get the house sorted into a sellable state.

As soon as my eldest dd and gd have gone home (Friday) then I'm going to make a start with the 'downstairs' room so will update then.

I live fairly remotely so getting to charity shops (which are few and far between here) is problematic - but there is a clothing bank locally so most of my stuff will end up there or in the skip I'm afraid. I will try and ebay as much as possible though as I could do with a few extra pennies.
    • witchwoopiggy
    • By witchwoopiggy 29th Dec 10, 7:46 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 4,838 Thanks
    witchwoopiggy
    hi, can i join in i badly need to clear space in bungalow but i am fighting agenst hubby who is a horder and cubards full of stuff , so my aims for 2011 is tidy, thin out , get rid (on the quiet lol)

• charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 29th Dec 10, 7:49 PM
    • 7,247 Posts
    • 31,521 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    hi, can i join in i badly need to clear space in bungalow but i am fighting agenst hubby who is a horder and cubards full of stuff , so my aims for 2011 is tidy, thin out , get rid (on the quiet lol)
    Originally posted by witchwoopiggy
    I have that problem too. I put stuff in the bin and he rescues it Secret is to do it while he is out
  • rosieben
    Thanks for the new thread!

I'm in on this one, I started before but fell by the wayside before I completed.

I need to have a complete sort out all through the flat; over the next couple of days I'll be decluttering the christmas decorations, I'd like to get them into one crate + tree, instead of 2 huge crates and an assortment of boxes!
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 29th Dec 10, 7:50 PM
    • 4,232 Posts
    • 9,311 Thanks
    Linda32
    Hi, I don't think I posted on the last thread but I think I'll join in with this one.

Our place isn't bad at all really, but I do have rather alot of books which are on bookcases, but its getting to the point that I'm putting books across the top of the one which stand up. Abit of a slippery slope there.

I used to collect Agatha Christie book and being as there are alot of them around in Charity Shops etc it was rather easy to collect, and being as she wrote about 80 stories well you get the idea.

They are nice to have, but I don't re-read them and I only pick them up to dust them

So I've put 4 on eBay today, see how that goes.

The one good thing is I very rarly buy any books now so at least they will deminish if I sell them.
    • gillian62
    • By gillian62 29th Dec 10, 8:11 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,280 Thanks
    gillian62
    I have had a great sort out of books, I buy them at the charity shop, and plan to get round to reading them etc. Anyway I have now took some back or recycled some, as they were just piling up, and I couldn't find ones I really wanted to look at. i have just saved some non-fiction books that I still use.

This year I plan to:-
    Tidy and reorganise and declutter the kitchen.
    Find my craft room as the entrance has been used as a dumping site for all and sundry.
    Declutter my bedroom and throw away all the clothes I plan to fit in, when I lose weight etc.
    Hopefully, tackle the loft - the other house dumping site.

I'm looking forward to using this thread for motivation and ideas.
    • juliejim
    • By juliejim 29th Dec 10, 8:36 PM
    • 7,575 Posts
    • 151,595 Thanks
    juliejim
    Hi all

Well I could do with decluttering the whole house! I've sorted out DS's bedroom today and produced 2 binbags of rubbish, 2 binbags for the CS, 1 bag for work and another bag for a friend. I've then made a start on DD's bedroom which is the bigger of the 2 and will probably take me most of tomorrow to complete. So far I've filled 3 binbags of rubbish and 3 binbags for the CS from her room. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA 5500
    • poohspals
    • By poohspals 29th Dec 10, 8:39 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 4,693 Thanks
    poohspals
    I'd like 2011 to be the year I de-clutter. I'd like the rooms in my house to be used as they were intended rather than all rooms being a dumping ground!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,520Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin