PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What has this bad weather taught you?

Options
After having been snowed in for 10 days in north northumberland, I thought I would share what this weather had taught me.

I had read and contributed to the preparing for winter thread 1 and 2. I had stocked up but I dont think much could have fully prepared me for being snowed in for that long

I now know my shortcomings for next time...........:o

I had filled my store cupboard full of tins of soups, pasta, porridge, rice etc, and had 3 weeks of meals in the freezer. However the food you normally eat is not always what you fancy after being housebound for so long.

We managed to get out after 3 days to the shops and did a bit of shopping

The following things went down really well in my house, crumpets and drop scones with jams, lemon curd, those tinned sponge steam puddings, cake mixes, biscuits, bacon. All very naughty not really OS foods. But being snowed in doesnt nothing for your mood and I found I just couldnt be @rsed to do much at all.

I would also recommend that you have 3 times as many candles as you think you need as we used 100s tealights and that was without the power going down. Keep some in the freezer.

Make sure you have loads of tea and coffee, UHT milk, toilet roll, bin bags, handcream and moisturiser.

I am so glad we are coming to the end of this spell and I will now make sure I am better prepared for the next.

The biggest thing I have learned is I can cope so bring it on:p

It would be interesting to see what you have all learned......
2014 = New Year, New Me

Comments

• Red_Doe
    Red_Doe Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options
    That heating oil freezes too easily in such low temperatures, so I had better sort out an alternative method of heat for the next bitter cold snap.
    That weather (or other circumstances) means you WILL use your storecupboard, and yet again I forgot to stock up on basics like coffee, milk, sugar and cooking oil etc (and loo roll, eek!)
    and that local government just can`t cope, despite having gone through such severe winters time and again...water pipes burst (we had no water all day yesterday), roads stay blocked because they limit the grit on them....about five bits of grit per yard in this place, apparently....if you rely on a mobile bank (as we do, having no branch of any bank anywhere nearby) it won`t get through, so make sure you have enough cash or a valid card if you use one.
    What it really taught me though, was that I`m getting too old and too ill to live in the middle of nowhere during winter, but can`t afford to move.
    "Ignore the eejits...it saves your blood pressure and drives `em nuts!" :D
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    It's taught me not to wear slippers outside - they take ages to dry out again.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Morning Mennie

I am making a list of all the things I "need to do better" next time. Top of the list is to drag teenage boys kicking and screamimg no doubt, to the shops, to get them properly kitted out for winter weather. Think they have now realised that they NEED warm gloves, hats, boots etc and it's not mum over-reacting!
    Stockcupboard held up well, managed to get some rocksalt but will buy it much earlier next time.
    Will remind DH to keep the car topped up with petrol, I don't let mine get too low, I usually top up when it gets to 1/4 full but DH sometimes wait till the needle is on the red. Trouble is my car gets snowed in as it is kept in the garage we have a very steep drive so any ice/snow and thats it - stuck!
    I'm looking forward to read what others have to say, as some people have had it really bad.

Pollys x

ps At least we will be prepared for the next lot
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    pollys wrote: »
    Top of the list is to drag teenage boys kicking and screamimg no doubt, to the shops, to get them properly kitted out for winter weather. Think they have now realised that they NEED warm gloves, hats, boots etc and it's not mum over-reacting!
    Even after going through winter in scotland and new york's worst snow for decades it wasn't until i moved out and had to go out in the snow/ice to buy bog roll that i realised the true value of ugly boots and waterproof gloves :p

The snow wasn't bad by me, but what concerns me is what if the electricity cuts like it did in a few places? I would be eating raw potatoes and freezing my !!!! off :eek:
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • Kimitatsu
    Kimitatsu Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    Options
    I too have learnt that I need lots more moisturiser than I already have! I looked like Mrs Claus yesterday having been out in the wind for an hour.

The boys need more than one pair of waterproofs.....one just isnt enough, I need to make sure everyone has underskins top and bottom (thermals are uncool apparently - but Sports direct does them for £7.99) and we need a bigger chicken house for next year.

Snow shovels I need to stock up on, it was the one thing I really missed out on so far so there will be one for everyone!!

Other than that we have been ok so far - thankfully our heating oil hasnt frozen :eek: I didnt even realise it could!
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Not so much taught me but reminded me how grateful I am for the efforts of so many dairy farmers and their devoted sidekicks, the milk tanker drivers ... for me, deprivation would be the loss of my daily cuppas so three cheers for them I say!
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There are one or two things I could have been more prepared with, however this site has definately helped me be more aware and to be prepared and life so life is easier. My storecupboard definately was a life saver.
    Every days a School day!
  • mumoftwo
    mumoftwo Posts: 1,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 December 2010 at 11:43AM
    Options
    I have learned that after 8 days the council just does not come and plough the huge amounts of snow out of our cul de sac or even grit it, all our cars have been stuck in the snow, trying to get out for work/shops etc. When the snow hits again, I will park my car on the nearest main road so we can at least get out as my OH is disabled and walking through it without getting hurt is impossible (as we found out)

I also learned that you have to run the engine of your car frequently otherwise your battery will die. I managed to take the car out on Tuesday but tried yesterday and my battery is dead. It must be the cold because I leave the car sitting for a week when we go on holiday and it is ok.

Luckily we were well stocked up on food, even if I had to sacrifice the tin of roses I had stashed away for Christmas to the kids so they could have a treat.

And I need to do better, get another shovel so the teenagers can help dig and buy wellies
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    some people will kill for a pint of milk or a loaf of bread....... :eek:
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Taught me that I was right to start preparing for a cold snap just as we came out of the last one at Easter :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure