PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What has this bad weather taught you?

Options

Comments

• bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That my trusty shopping trolley still works even in snow.

That a skanky old tea towel makes good lagging for an outside pipe.

That 1C feels really mild when it has been minus stupid.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    it has tought me that most people still pull together in the old way and, tbh, that has lifted my spirits no end as I thought society was incredibly selfish, Goodness is still there
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It also taught me that cold weather is sneaky. The sun might shine and it might feel warm but step onto tarmac and go for a little walk and the black ice is all around. More dangerous than snow
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Options
    We were only slightly affected by snow but we did pretty well. The cupboards are stocked, there was long life milk in the cupboard for Dad who's a milk drinker. Hubby and I are soya milk drinkers and we have a machine that whizzes ours up from Soya beans. We had enough bread in the freezer but also plenty of flour so we'd have been fine for months!

We got a bit of advance warning as we were a couple of days behind everyone else with the snow, we were lucky that we managed to get grit from B&Q on the day that the snow then came in.

We learnt that DH was right to out in the snow on day 1 and clear the driveway and the path whilst the snow was still powdery and not compacted, he was able to brush it all away easily and we then put grit over the top and it stayed perfectly usable and clear even when everything else froze over the next couple of days. We've never done that before but will do again.
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    to stock up on more chocolate :)
  • pupsicola
    pupsicola Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    it has tought me that most people still pull together in the old way and, tbh, that has lifted my spirits no end as I thought society was incredibly selfish, Goodness is still there

I completely agree. I am a teacher and was walking my class back to lessons the other day when I took an awful fall on some ice. Cynically I expected them all to fall about laughing and take the mick. As it turns out they were little darlings and all very concerned I was okay. One little gent even insisted on walking me round to first aid and making sure I was alright :D It did occur to me that they may have thought Santa could be watching them (they are 6 going on 7)
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ....that there is always someone worse off than you
    ....that elderly neighbours appreciate any effort, no matter how small
    and that you can run the dishwasher pipes via the sink when the outside pipes are frozen!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • pink_princess
    pink_princess Posts: 13,581 Forumite
    Options
    Its taught me that my store cupboard is essential .It taught me that I don t keep a good enough stock of loo roll.
    I will also move my car half a mile away (bottom of our hill ) the next time we get the littlest flurry of snow so that im not stuck in for 8 days .I will also stock up on more powdered milk just incase.Things weren t to bad though thanks to this site.It had already taught us to be ready for it ,I will be even more ready next time .
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
  • katieclampet
    katieclampet Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 5 December 2010 at 5:56PM
    Options
    It has taught me that reading this thread over the last few months was a really good idea. :A

I have been really well prepared, the only thing I really needed (and didnt have!) was a hat, but borrowed one of OH. one of those thermal insulate pull on ones, doesnt look very pretty, but does the job!

katiex
  • eco
    eco Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    luckily thanks to the preparing for winter thread, I had enough food, alcohol, loo roll and dog food in, was quite chuffed when the snow came down, wasn't so chuffed about not driving but at least the cars in one peice.

I also surprised with flannelette sheets and PJ's they help keep the bed warm but so does a memory mattress, I've hardly used the electric blanket and I bought it new this year begining to regret that.

I was bored been stuck in (I'd booked the week off) and walking into town isn't that much fun so have realised I'm going to have to do something about that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure