Our attempt at being MF!!

Options

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    CathT wrote: »

Am going to start swimming lessons for DS, anyone think he's too young? I don't want to waste money as it is £7.50 for a 30 minute lesson. He is pretty switched on for a just 3 year old. What are your experiences?
    My DS swam his first length when he was still 3 :T. If he's 'switched on' then go for it. Both of mine had lessons at a young age then did basic lifesaving. Something weird about a pool full of little kids with inflated pyjamas at 8am on a Saturday morning. And what's the chances of you falling in a canal or the sea in your PJ's :D.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • HelenDaveKids
    HelenDaveKids Posts: 3,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I did little fishes with mine from 6 months old, singing songs and splashing. Mine have all gone on and done honours. Dd2 still does lessons, bronze medallion, having finished rooky lifeguard.

I have stair carpet on my wish list too.
    Morgage till Nov 30 GOAL MFW Sept 2016
    Aug 11 - £100k Aug 2016.... It's GONE!!!!!
    2014 GOAL HIT 5 Stone! 2016 GOAL to be a MF marathon runner.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish"
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    My youngest had lessons from 3 x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you for input, he is going to start in a few weeks when I am in my new job so we are both around as there is an hour wait between his class finishing and DD's starting. It's in a lovely area with a park and ducks so DH will probably take him to play after his lesson.

Activities mount up don't they, tennis and swimming for one and swimming for the other is about £80 a month. As long as keep them clear of horse riding we will be ok!! (I desperately wanted lessons as a child though).

Carpet quote in £235 with best quality underlay. Just need to get into habit of using side door into utility area instead of the front to keep the mud out! Don't know why we don't come in that way anyway as our hall is tiny but I guess it's just habit?
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • CathT
    edited 9 October 2014 at 7:27PM
    Options
    Money news: DH finds out terms of pay rise this week so should see an increase in take home pay. :D

If I ever get out of the overdraft I need to come up with a financial plan which allows for cc repayments to continue at current pace, increase mortgage OP and start saving for a new bathroom. It might take a while to come up with the plan!

However.....nursery costs should come right down after Christmas so it may become a reality! :)
  • CathT
    Options
    Morning!

Have paid £22 off one of the cards as I only ever account for a certain take home pay for DH and this was the excess!

School run done, just DS to take to nursery on the way to work in a bit. Done a small Mr M top up fruit shop as had a £2 off £4 spend. Used Hally card so get 10% cashback too which gets paid off cc when hits the account. Apart from wine we don't need to venture anywhere near a supermarket to weekend!

Had heating on for 30 minutes early evening and it seemed to keep the house warm enough to avoid switching it on this morning. Did seem to bring the spiders out last fight though, we had 3! I could never live alone, I really don't like them!

Right, need to finish my coffee and half watch HUTH while I sort some washing!

Have a good Friday everyone.
  • CathT
    Options
    Haha, just noticed my auto correct. Might let it go as a Freudian slip, it was a scary time with the spider invasion. :rotfl:
  • CathT
    edited 14 October 2014 at 6:38PM
    Options
    Have been really busy with work :(

Have 2 days off now and am armed with a list of 'to do' jobs.

Might start with some of the easier ones
    1. [STRIKE]Check DD lunch money and top up[/STRIKE] slightly in credit and she opted for a rare packed lunch this morning
    2. [STRIKE]Return DD library books[/STRIKE] went after school.
    3. [STRIKE]Check school admission forms on council website[/STRIKE] too early to register for nursery
    4. [STRIKE]Update SOA[/STRIKE]
    5. [STRIKE]Complete swimming forms for DS[/STRIKE]
    6. [STRIKE]Cancel B Gas homecare[/STRIKE] best offer for me to stay was £220 a year! Cancelled!
    7. [STRIKE]Pay water bill[/STRIKE]
    8. [STRIKE]DH to ring to see if can transfer pension[/STRIKE] transfer forms being sent out so will need to make bank appt.
    9. [STRIKE]Complete professional registration forms for new role and send payment[/STRIKE] payment done online, just need to post
    10. Housework! Absolutely no chance with a grumpy clingy 3 year old!
    In other news, carpet looks fantastic. Have gone for a mix of blue stripes and it has made it look much bigger. DH managed to gloss the skirting boards before it went down so it looks a lot cleaner too. It will need re-decorating at some point but we use a decorator so there should be no paint spillages! :eek:

DH had a very modest payrise of 1.6% which was less than expected. Contract hours have been increased (to reduce OT I think) so overall I think we are around £30 a week better off which is not to be grumbled at. He has been identified as a key member of staff so due another pay review next month :)
  • CathT
    edited 14 October 2014 at 7:41PM
    Options
    CathT wrote: »
    Have been really busy with work :(

Have 2 days off now and am armed with a list of 'to do' jobs.

Might start with some of the easier ones
    1. [STRIKE]Check DD lunch money and top up[/STRIKE] slightly in credit and she opted for a rare packed lunch this morning
    2. [STRIKE]Return DD library books[/STRIKE] went after school.
    3. [STRIKE]Check school admission forms on council website[/STRIKE] too early to register for nursery
    4. [STRIKE]Update SOA[/STRIKE]
    5. [STRIKE]Complete swimming forms for DS[/STRIKE]
    6. [STRIKE]Cancel B Gas homecare[/STRIKE] best offer for me to stay was £220 a year! Cancelled!
    7. [STRIKE]Pay water bill[/STRIKE]
    8. [STRIKE]DH to ring to see if can transfer pension[/STRIKE] transfer forms being sent out so will need to make bank appt.
    9. [STRIKE]Complete professional registration forms for new role and send payment[/STRIKE] payment done online, just need to post
    10. Housework! Absolutely no chance with a grumpy clingy 3 year old!

Quite surprised at today's progress, I have felt tired much of the day and I think DS is not 100%. He has been terribly clingy and looked a bit flushed before bed and said his neck hurt. Did chin on chest test and seems ok. Popped to the library after school with DD, she was most delighted at the fact I parked in the library carpark (cost me £1) as we usually park a short distance away and walk in! Think I have possibly raised her expectations though and it won't be happening again :D
  • HelenDaveKids
    Options
    That's so me, I do anything to avoid paying to park.
    Morgage till Nov 30 GOAL MFW Sept 2016
    Aug 11 - £100k Aug 2016.... It's GONE!!!!!
    2014 GOAL HIT 5 Stone! 2016 GOAL to be a MF marathon runner.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure