Club La Costa Disgusting Customer Service and Misleading 'Prize Luxury Holidays'.

Options
Hi, just want to warn people of the Club La Costa holiday that they may be told they have 'won'. I received a call over a week ago to say I had 'won' a luxury holiday abroad for up to 6 people because my name had been picked out due to a survey I had completed. They said I had to go to a hotel a week later and collect the tickets, all I had to do was pay an admin fee, but this would be counteracted by all the high street vouchers I would receive. I received the appointment documents a few days later. I decided to look up the company's name on the internet to find that I had not 'won' a holiday at all but an invite to attend some seminars so that someone could try and sell me property abroad. I received a call to confirm my appointment and when I politely said I wasn't interested in attending and gave my reasons why, I was confronted by a tirade of abuse and a great deal of rudeness and confrontation. When I asked if I could speak to the manager to complain about the abuse I received, I was told that she WAS the manager!!!!!! She denied all claims about what I had been told in the initial call I received explaining I won - depsite the fact I recorded the call. She also said she was entitled to be rude given I said I wasn't attending anymore - again, I had someone listening in on the call which was on speakerphone.

I just want to warm people of these scams by Club La Costa - they pretend they are legitimate because they are fronted by a celebrity. However, they are unprofessional, rude, abusive and have no customer service skills whatsoever - I feel embarrassed that there are fellow Scots working out there who are so rude and abusive - they will never sell anything with such an aggressive and disgusting attitude and way of talking to people.

I hope no-one else falls for this scam. I wouldn't have if I had been told the truth in the first place - I am not stupid, I have several degrees and I am well-educated, and am not easily duped. Please, if anyone else receives a call saying they have won a holiday offered by Club La Costa, please please say no - although if you do say no, put the telephone down straight away as you will be subjected to a lot of abuse and confrontation - I felt very upset after the ordeal - how dare someone telephone me when I am trying to enjoy my evening and treat me like dirt! It's an absolute disgrace and their customer service skills are disgusting.

Please AVOID CLUB LA COSTA at all costs!!!!

Comments

• sunshinetours
    sunshinetours Posts: 2,854 Forumite
    Options
    Just google it or search on here for CLC and you will see plenty of info all over the web on these people

I am afraid despite many people thinking they are not easily lead etc, when someone offers them something for free on a competition win that they cannot remember entering - commonsense seems to evaporate for many. Sorry you were caught out
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Alex
    you'll find lots of other posters in agreement with you on this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=462241
  • mpython
    mpython Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Found on another website but made me laugh considering all the posts by pro CLC people claiming all the accommodation was 5* so the cost of buying & annual maintenance was "worth it", nb, this was booked in 2009 as well so not last minute:-

Dear Club La Costa,
    To Customer Services and to Mr Guy Mantel - we hope you will forward this to him as having met him at the members’ meeting in Birmingham he told me that customer satisfaction was paramount to CLC’s success and that feedback from members was always taken seriously
    We have just returned to Glasgow from our booked week in Devon, a holiday which was spoiled at the very start by the room you allocated to us at the Devoncourt Hotel in Exmouth. There are simply not enough words to describe the complete and total failure of this facility being in any way an acceptable CLC accommodation
    On arrival at the Devoncourt Hotel on the evening of Saturday 31st July we were shown to Room 12, a room which fell so far below our expectations that we had no choice but to call the Manager and refuse to take up residence.
    The Manager at the Devoncourt was very apologetic and embarrassed for us - it was quickly apparent and confirmed that he had found himself in a similar position on previous occasions . Unfortunately he had no alternative rooms available and he was only able - and we gratefully accepted his offer - to try and find us some alternative and acceptable accommodation in the area He was finally able to secure for us three nights in another hotel. CLC could not be contacted and we were profoundly grateful for the assistance he gave us.
    We enclose some photographs (low resolution having been taken on a mobile phone) which we hope will help you understand the state of Room 12 which was small, claustrophobic, dingy, and in a poor state of repair. In short, totally unacceptable. As for the “beach views” from the windows - one looked on to a brick wall and the other a fire escape!!
    This holiday was booked back in 2009 and our room is so far adrift from the contents of page 37 in your Directory of Resorts that we feel seriously let down. This is not what we signed up for when we joined CLC and needless to say we are extremely upset, disappointed and very out of pocket having had to finance ourselves the expense in securing the alternative accommodation. Because of all the extra expenses incurred our week’s holiday turned into only a three night stay before making the long trip back home to Scotland
    It was only by the actions of the Manager at the Devoncourt that the holiday was not a complete disaster. He should be congratulated. However we find ourselves out of pocket and extremely annoyed and irritated by the whole experience. We are also embarrassed to let anyone know that we are members of CLC and that you are wiling to send your members here - Heaven forbid that we might have taken guests
    What steps are you going to take to address this matter? Room 12 should never be offered under any circumstances and if any other rooms you have are like this one, then the hotel should be withdrawn form your resorts immediately. We will also be placing a report of this hotel on the separate member’s website as we would not like any one else to experience the disappointment that we have
    We consider that the very least you could do is to refund the points for our week in Devon.
    Yours sincerely

4zt6ir.jpg

r79aw2.jpg

2i1jx3c.jpg
    From MSE Martin - Some General Tips On Holiday Home Organisations and Sales Meetings

DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THEM WITH A BARGEPOLE!
  • mpython
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 August 2010 at 3:23PM
    Options
    Are you saying this wasn't a Club La Costa holiday? booked via Club La Costa? by a Club la Costa member?

Is the website you are referring to, the same site that I was told was free to register but had to pay to join? & then set up an annual subscrition without my explicit permission?
    Is it the same site that removes postings that damage the CLC brand on the basis of potential defamation?

Can you also clarify, are you proposing to retro-actively change the T&Cs of the site, or just exercise your editorial perogative?
    How will you achieve your implied threat without breaching DPA?

BTW - I agree the previous thread appears to have disappeared (though it wasn't my thread - yet another mistake TB, you really must take more care), I presumed someone didn't like losing the debate
    From MSE Martin - Some General Tips On Holiday Home Organisations and Sales Meetings

• withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    toprobroy wrote: »
    Not only that, I will ask MSE to take you off this site, as you're obviously not willing to be fair in your appraisals.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Sorry, I've just wet myself.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • CHR15
    CHR15 Posts: 5,193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So there can only be an unbiased, balanced post about CLC..... As long as it is all positive??

Your intention to come on here and bully people onto agreeing with you is laughable.
  • mpython
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you read it correctly, it says its not a club la costa site!
    If you're going to have a campaign against club la costa and mis-represent our Members Site, then I will take you off the site.
    Not only that, I will ask MSE to take you off this site, as you're obviously not willing to be fair in your appraisals.

It doesn't matter who started the topicbecause accuracy is not important to you when you are posting?, you're intelligent enough to read the content which you also unfairly contributed tooin what way was my post(s) unfair, in contrast to your statement (now deleted) that MSE is paid for by advertising?. I'm not here to protect the name of Club La Costamy last post on the deleted thread quoting you suggested otherwise, I'll see if I can find the same quote again, however, I am here to protect the Members Site for which I'm responsible.so, can you answer my questions above?

For the record, I never reported anything previously to MSE. However if you use their Forums to mis-represent, and make ill-informed assumptions and statements, then it's either going to be someone on here who is going to be in trouble for it, or MSE themselves. I will of course take their advice.how will you do this if you don't report things to them?

Please feel free to report me & my posts to abuse@moneysavingexpert.com. I'm happy to live within their rules.

• mpython
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Found it:

"Its normal for people to leave, as we've seen from the history of Topics on our Forums, and so it follows that its normal for people to join as CLC are always marketing the product. This is of course is in the interests of all owners to be bringing new people to the CLub, but we all want to see the product being truthfully sold, and constantly we strive to bring CLC to the CLCMembers Table. "

Would the consequence of not bringing new people to the club be even higher maintenance charges for the remaining members? but more availability?

• mpython
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I came on to give you a fact and to ask those who post on the basis of assumption, to be careful as I'm sure you want to remain on this site and not be the subject of litigation. I'm always happy to discuss, as long as you accept facts. We've all agreed not all things are right with CLC, as they aren't with many similiar companies and businesses. Lets have balanced conversation and agree to disagree without spouting out assumptions and listen to and accept facts. There are people happy with Club La Costa. Not the majority in all likelihood, but the facts are there and all you need to say is yes, you accept that some people are happy. Again, not with methods, for which I agree but Rome wasn't built in a day.

I would like to additionally add that Club La Costa does have 5* Accomodation. Plenty of people testify to that.
    Your topic suggests it doesn't and misleads people into believing it is Club La Costa's accomodation.

Dear or dear, raising the prospect of litigation so early in a thread, you really don't like to have open discussion do you?

The thread does not say "All Club la Costa accomodation is not 5 stars", just, in contrast to the oft -repeated mantra of the CLC loving posters that the acccomodation is always 5*, that in fact, it isn't.

I'm surprised you don't like facts being raised & discussed.

You are the one who has raised the subject of your website on this thread. If you go back & delete your words about it, I'll delete mine & then we can stay on subject and discuss Club la Costa rather than your website.

• CHR15
    CHR15 Posts: 5,193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The last post for which you spent so much time has gone. I guess they've imposed their rules.

Or because you reported it.

The Board Guides do not have the time to mediate in posts, if there is litigation, posts are sometimes locked by MSE INVESTIGATOR, or simply pulled.

We all live by those rules and respect them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure