EasyJet - Hand luggage too big at the gate?

Options
Sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere, but a search didn't find an answer.

First time I am flying with EasyJet on Saturday, Gatwick to Rome. My other half's bag is definitely within the 55 x 40 x 20 size, but mine is 53 x 30 x 23 (smaller in two of the dimensions, but a couple of cm too biig in depth).

I have already checked in online. What should I do? Declare myself at check-in and have them check the size before I go through security, or just turn up at the gate and take a chance?

I don't mind paying the extra £8, but if I can get away with carrying the bag on I would like to to save time at the other end.

Worryingly, I have read that Ryanair reserve the right to cancel your booking and refuse to carry you if you arrive at the gate with a bag that's too big. Are EasyJet the same? I can't find any mention of sanctions on their web site.

Help!
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair

Comments

• apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've not had my case measured by Easyjet at the gate yet, but others have. Unless you really overstuff it, I suspect you will be alright. The penalty is paying £16 rather than £8 to put it in the hold and the hassle of getting that done in time.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was thinking of putting one of those bands around it (the ones you can get with your name on). That may tighten it a bit.

The bag is actually 20cm at the top but widens out to 23 at the bottom. It's a shame they don't give you credit for the fact that the width is 10cm narrower than it could be.

How do they get the bag onto the plane from the gate?
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Only ever seen them check obviously over-sized bags myself. Definitely won't be a problem if you can compress the 23cm end down, and I'd be surprised if it was checked even if not as it will look smaller than most carry-ons anyway.

I normally take a rucksack which is over 20cm in it's packed state as stuff naturally drops to the bottom, but will 'squidge' to fit in the frame (checked it once when nobody was looking...).
  • pimento
    Options
    Thanks for that. The bottom of my bag where the wheels are is solid, so it will always be 23cm. It would probably fit into the cage upside down (wheels up) but I don't suppose this is allowed...

Will take a chance and let you know how I get on. :)
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    I often get my hand baggage measured by Easyjet, it does fit the cage OK, but I can see the look of dismay on the check-in operators face when it just fits their cage.

Why not buy a cheap bag that does fit?
  • pimento
    Options
    I bought the bag because it has four wheels and I don't do most of my travelling with hand luggage only.

Just out of interest, if my bag was 75cm x 15cm x 15cm, (ie smaller in volume than 55 x 40 x 20) would they still make you check it in?

I'm veering towards fessing up at check in, it's not that big a deal, but seems a bit mean considering by volume, my bag is smaller than the requirement.
  • pimento
    Options
    Oh, and does the fact that I have checked in online stop me checking in manually when I get to Gatwick?
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    pimento wrote: »
    Just out of interest, if my bag was 75cm x 15cm x 15cm, (ie smaller in volume than 55 x 40 x 20) would they still make you check it in?

Yes because it does not comply with the standard size cage, it will not fit in the cage at the gate.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I did the same flight (Gatwick to Rome on Easyjet) a couple of weeks ago and they were checking with the gauge at the gate. They can't check everyone though so keep out of sight for the few minutes before boarding starts, or sit with your bag tucked behind your legs and they won't see it when they are prowling around looking for victims.
    Alternatively check it in but book this on the website before you travel. The luggage was off really quick at Rome anyway on my visit.
  • pimento
    Options
    Can I add the bag online after I've already checked in online?

It really is only 3cm max bigger than the 20cm and it's narrower by about 10cm than it could be.

Bah!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure