PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Whats the best oil for HM chips

Options
What is the best oil for homemade chips.

When I mean best I mean oil that makes good chips, good for your health and cheap to buy.

At the moment using a Crisp n Dry.

How often should the oil be changed?

Also what about making potato wedges in the oven heard they can be tossed in olive oil then baked what other oil could be used?

Also years ago seen a programme to avoid using oil the wedges could be soaked in ice water then baked think the womans was name was Rosie O`neil but it was a long time ago would this idea work.

Comments

• nick_b
    nick_b Posts: 219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My Nana always used lard! It's not just what you use to fry it, but how you fry it in order to cook healthier. You should first fry them at a lower temp until nearly done. Drain, then fry again at a higher temp until golden.
    0_o
  • Dr.Lou
    Dr.Lou Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    I make homemade healthly low fat chips in the following way: -

1. Peel (or leave unpeeled for jacket wedges) pototoes
    2. Chip the potatoes
    3. Par boil chips in a pan of boiling water until the potatoes soften a bit, drain and set aside
    4. Spray a baking tray with oil (I use Frylight)
    5. Place the chips on the baking tray and spray with the oil
    6. If you wish add a little salt, herbs or spices
    7. Bake in the oven until slightly browned (I use the highest oven setting)

The chips turn out really lovely and I particularly love the wedges made in this way.....Also if you follow the slimming world diet, these are free on a green day!
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't think you will ever find chips that are 'good for your health', although Dr Lou's comes closest IMO (I do something similar).

For deep frying, I would recommend rapeseed oil - which is usually sold as vegetable oil in the supermarkets. It is high in mono-unsaturated oil (like olive oil) which has now been found to be better for you than polyunsaturated oils (eg sunflower oil) - even walkers have started doing their chips in sunseed oil which is high in monounsaturates! (although I don't think you will find sunseed oil on the shelves of the supermarket).

Olive oil isn't great at high temperatures, so rapeseed is better for deep frying.
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well I use dripping but perhaps I'm just unhealthy :confused:
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    We use the oven method....but don't bother pre cooking the potatoes. We just toss the wedges / chips around in some oil and salt...put on a baking tray and slap in the oven.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dbs wrote:
    Also what about making potato wedges in the oven heard they can be tossed in olive oil then baked what other oil could be used?

Also years ago seen a programme to avoid using oil the wedges could be soaked in ice water then baked think the womans was name was Rosie O`neil but it was a long time ago would this idea work.

There's a thread full of tips and ideas for wedges:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=47620

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • nuttyrockeress
    Options
    Dr.Lou wrote:
    I make homemade healthly low fat chips in the following way: -

1. Peel (or leave unpeeled for jacket wedges) pototoes
    2. Chip the potatoes
    3. Par boil chips in a pan of boiling water until the potatoes soften a bit, drain and set aside
    4. Spray a baking tray with oil (I use Frylight)
    5. Place the chips on the baking tray and spray with the oil
    6. If you wish add a little salt, herbs or spices
    7. Bake in the oven until slightly browned (I use the highest oven setting)

The chips turn out really lovely and I particularly love the wedges made in this way.....Also if you follow the slimming world diet, these are free on a green day!

Mmm sin free chips!! We love these in our house. I won't have any other chips in the house! So tasty too, nice with black pepper on too!
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use the slimming world recipe as above and they're great and for wedges too!I also use frylight. I have read that rapeseed oil is the healthiest and it is included in quite a few of my low GI recipes.Rapeseed oil is a monounsaturated fat and has a beneficial effect on cholesterol and is good for your heart.:j
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • pancakequeen
    Options
    I'm afraid I always use lard and fry them twice as nick_b says, but on the otherhand we only have them once or twice a month.
  • Quiet_Life
    Quiet_Life Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On a recent food programme on telly they said that the tradition of deep fat frying came from the continent, where olive oil is used. Olive oil reaches a higher temperature that vegetable oils or lard, so when the food is placed in the oil it is immediately sealed and doesn't come out soggy or greasy.
    Only problem of course is the price of olive oil, does anyone know where you can buy olive oil (not virgin or extra virgin) that is affordable?
    In giving
    you are throwing a bridge
    across the chasm of your solitude.
    The Wisdom of the Sands. Antoine de Saint-Exupery
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business