PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Potato Wedges? - All you ever wanted to know about how make potato wedges

Yesterday, hubby and I had a big sort out of the kitchen cupboards (I can't reach the top shelves ;)). We have decided to use up all the old packets of stuff that we no longer buy as we have converted to Money Saving Old Stye techniques. We found a couple of packets of dried mix to coat potato wedges and used them up last night (providing 3 dishes of different home made dips).

The long and short of it is that hubbie and two daughters absolutely loved the coating. Now I don't want to keep on buying these as I'd like healthier and cheaper alternatives (I used two packets to coat the wedges).

Anyone got any ideas?

It was absolutely fascinating watching my family eat a meal made up of scrapings from the ends of jars, sell by date yogurt and half a tub of cream cheese (in the dips) and a pile of potatoes (two trays of wedges). We normally pay a fortune for something similar as a starter at the local eateries.
Enjoying an MSE OS life :D

Homemade Wedges to boil or not 87 votes

Yes, I pre boil
28% 25 votes
No, I just shove them in
63% 55 votes
Other
8% 7 votes

Comments

• raeble
    raeble Posts: 911 Forumite
    If you read the ingredients on the packet to see what was in it and then use that. I made some up the other day using chilli, cayenne and paprika - warning it doesn't half have a kick. Next time I make it I might use some lemon to counteract the harshness of the chilli.
  • BoltonMinx
    BoltonMinx Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Heres on I lifted some years ago from a recipe book:
    salt, fresh ground black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese.
    This is from waitrose:
    1-2 tbsp olive oil
    2 tsp crushed garlic
    2 tsp paprika
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tsp mixed dried herbs
    "There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

:A ~~~ S
    pread some good Karma ~~~ :A
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you have an asian shop near to you they often sell packets of mixed seasonings and they're normally priced at about 50p each. I've always got a few of these in the cupboard, they do ones like Coriander and lime, barbecue, chicken seasoning, chili and lemon etc.

If you coat the wedges in a little oil, sprinkle a couple of teaspoons of the seasoning over the wedges and mix them well so the wedges get a good equal coating of oil and seasoning then they come out really well.

I've found the packets normally last for a couple of months.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • superfurry
    superfurry Posts: 153 Forumite
    Try smoked paprika as a lovely alternative in these recipes as well.
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you to everyone .. I'll try all these ideas and go rummaging in the bin for last night's packaging as well :D

I have quite a few herbs and spices now ... I've been buying a new jar a week to build up a good stock, so now is as good a time as any to start experimenting.
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    apple_mint wrote:
    We found a couple of packets of dried mix to coat potato wedges and used them up last night (providing 3 dishes of different home made dips).

The long and short of it is that hubbie and two daughters absolutely loved the coating. Now I don't want to keep on buying these as I'd like healthier and cheaper alternatives (I used two packets to coat the wedges).

have you tried dehydrating food and then grinding it into your own powder mixes?

i have a dehydrator that I got from Tchibo and i love it! you can do it in the oven if you like on the lowest heat settings but you'll have to keep a close eye on things and you'll be limited to how much you can do at one time.

i recently made a mixture of dried red pepper, onion, garlic, chives, and tomato. to this i added a bit of salt, a touch of pepper and a small bit of chilli powder (which i can make for myself in the future if i choose) this mix is great on loads of things, very tasty. i even use it on my dried veg crisps!

i've made a salad mix of dried tomato, onion, rocket, watercress, cucumber, green pepper and courgette. this is for use in my bread machine instead of buying those expensive bread mixes or buying those bread machine seasoning packets that alinsons makes. everything i used for this lot was going to go off so i actually saved money by using it all, it would have otherwise gone in the bin.

i also make fruit/yogurt leathers, veg crisps, apple crisps and i'll be making jerky soon (i used to make it years ago mmmmm)

if you are interested in getting the tchibo machine (it's the cheapest i've seen in the uk) here's how to do it:

go to https://www.tchibo.co.uk type in 0001774 as the catalogue number the dehyrator is £24.99

to get a £5 discount voucher for first time customers click on this link

http://www.cantbarsed.com/discount-vouchers-n9.htm#t

the tchibo link is at the top, it says it's a £3 pound voucher but when you click on the link it brings up the tchibo page and a pop up window (disable your pop up blocker) the pop up window gives you £5 off and you can use it then or save it for later. my grand total including delivery was £23.94!!!

i also highly recommend Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook ISBN: 0688130240 it's amazing what you can make! also, if you use a juicer you can use the pulp mixed with a few tablespoons of juice to make fruit leathers that are every bit as tasty as sweets! :T

i'm making all sorts of powders now and it's fantastic when we find a big bunch of reduced veg because i know that i can use it all up. i'm snacking on my veg crisps as i type (sweet potato, parsnip and beetroot). the powders are really nice because you can sneak a bit of veg in with your childrens dinner and they'll never know it ;) i am now making dried soup mixes for my dh.

i'm also storing up on food we can take camping with us for this summer. the cookbook i recommend gives recipes to make up using all the items she tells you how to dry. normally i don't encourage people to have another gadget in their kitchen but if you want to stay off the dry mixes and save money then definately get the dehydrator it will save you money in the long run and you may never have to throw anything away again (she has instructions for dehydrating leftovers!!!)
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Wow, interesting post HOLsale - how long have you had your dryer? Do you use it often? Would be great for people that grow stuff in the summer to keep over the winter.

How do you make the fruit leathers? Are they a better version of fruit winders?

I'm tempted....
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    i've only had mine for a few weeks but it's been used nearly every day.

fruit leathers are simply approx 1 cup of fruit pulp/puree mixed with 2 tablespoons fruit juice (orange juice is nice) you can add spices in if you want and a touch of sugar if you're using something tart like cranberries or rhubarb, everything is much sweeter when it's finished though.

i made banana and passionfruit yogurt leather which was lovely :T it was one cup mashed bananas (they were black and really needed using) and 1 cup yogurt blended well. i layed a piece of baking paper over the tray and was careful to keep the mixture from touching the area near the center. i had to poke a few holes in the circle in the center as well to allow the air to get through. it took awhile because the bananas and yogurt have so much natural sugars but it was soooooooo nice.

when i get a chance i'll post some of the recipes on here.

one you can try if you get the dehydrator is to lightly fry your veg slice (parsnips are nicest but carrots and onions are great too) you fry them until they just start to soften (parsnips turn brown just on the edges). you lay them out on your trays and sprinkle some seasoning on then dry til crisp. these are not as healthy as the normal crisps i do with fresh veg soaked in a bit of diluted soy for a few minutes but they are heavenly and would likely convert your teens to eating them vs crisps! i'm going to try bbq next time!
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    HOLsale wrote:
    have you tried dehydrating food and then grinding it into your own powder mixes?

i have a dehydrator that I got from Tchibo and i love it!

Wow, I've never even heard of one of these, it sounds perfect for flavourings. I think I'll put my May PMS towards one of these (I got my breadmaker with April's).

Would I be able to do dried tomatoes in one of these? I love sundried tomatoes but they as so expensive.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Do dried fruit and veggies retain the same vitamin content or are any lost in the drying process?

Certainly sounds like a handy little gadget but I think it's one that's gonna have to wait till I move. I'm seriously out of space for anything else and I've no idea where on earth I'm gonna put the new breadmaker yet (apparently they're huge :eek: ) especially as I still have the other one :o
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure