A moral dilemma. What would you do?

I would like to know how people would react to a situation which happened to my brother recently. I know in advance how the po-faced, holier-than-thou banking staff will respond, but I would like to know what “normal” people think.;)

My brother was on holiday in Jersey and on the last day he went to an ATM to withdraw some cash. Just as he was about to insert his card the machine shoved out a large wodge of notes. There was no-one around and he had not noticed anyone walking away from the ATM when he arrived, so he grabbed the money and shot off. He met his wife and friends and they counted the cash - it was £300!!:eek:

He then spent about an hour debating what to do. He had not got as far as putting his card in the machine, so the bank had no way of identifying him that way. There would have been CCTV probably, but he was leaving the island in a few hours and would be miles away before the money was even missed. In the end he decided he did not want to risk it and took the money back to the bank, handed it over to a very surprised cashier and left quickly.

What would you do in that situation?

I must say that I would be very inclined to take it if I thought I could get away with it. Yes I know it is not my money and it would be theft, but I feel no compunction at all about taking money from banks. They are the biggest corporate crooks going and the chance to get something off them for free is too good to miss. I also take the line that I am one of the few workers who keep this country going, unlike the scroungers. I am (usually!) honest and hard working, I pay lots of tax and NI, pay my TV licence, car tax, car insurance, council tax etc. etc. I never claim any handouts and get nothing for free, so to have a bit of luck like this and get £300 given to me would be too much to pass up.

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 July 2009 at 8:03PM
    I would have let the cash point take the money back in.

I would hate to thing if someone was on their last bit of money and I had taken it. I would feel terrible.

If I had the money, I am not sure what I would do!
  • vet8
    vet8 Posts: 877 Forumite
    I agree with this, but he said he saw no-one around at all and I also think that if someone had asked for £300 and then disappeared before it came out they would most likely be a card thief using the ATM to steal someone else's money. You would need to be incredibly stupid to ask for £300 and leave before you got it!
  • The £300 quid would not be the fascist, nazi, communist, redneck, nasty, evil satan banks though would it? It would be some customers money.
  • Extant
    Extant Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    That machine will have recorded a successful dispense for £300 - so no ATM dispute will be agreed, no difference found, and somewhere, a customer is out of £300.

It's not £300 "given" to you, it's £300 that you've chosen to take. The justification of "I'm a hard worker who pays tax" doesn't cut it - nothing to do with the government here, and you're compensated for your work anyway.
    What would William Shatner do?
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Would someone do the same for me?

No.

I'd keep the money.

(But then, I'm not that lucky lol)
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • vet8
    vet8 Posts: 877 Forumite
    That machine will have recorded a successful dispense for £300 - so no ATM dispute will be agreed, no difference found, and somewhere, a customer is out of £300.

So how did the ATM spew out £300 without any customer being there? The "customer" would have been ripped off by the bank as he had not tried to take the money out.
  • al4x
    al4x Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    say it was infact no ones money from a direct bank account, keep it! give a 100 to charity and be done!
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    vet8 wrote: »
    So how did the ATM spew out £300 without any customer being there? The "customer" would have been ripped off by the bank as he had not tried to take the money out.

Pretty sure I have never seen an ATM just give out £300 before.....

And if I saw £300 come out of an ATM and "looked around" I am pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tell if someone had just used it.
  • *Vikki*
    *Vikki* Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    I would have so kept it! Finders, keepers, losers weepers!
  • worbikeman
    worbikeman Posts: 2,971 Forumite
    Have you seen the film "Shallow Grave?". Some students come upon a suitcase full of cash and dont know what to do with it........I wont spoil it for those who havent seen it, but....good film!;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure