A moral dilemma. What would you do?

Options

Comments

• DGJsaver
    DGJsaver Posts: 2,777 Forumite
    Options
    cogito wrote: »
    Anyone who kept the money is a common thief. No more, no less.

As opposed to a different sort of thief ?
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    woody01 wrote: »
    I wouldve kept it.

If someone is that blase about leaving £300 behind, they must be pooping money in the first place.

What if they were disabled?
  • DGJsaver
    DGJsaver Posts: 2,777 Forumite
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    What if they were disabled?

They probably would have still been somewhere near the cashpoint when the £300 came popping out = no problem in the first place
  • vet8
    vet8 Posts: 877 Forumite
    Options
    Admit it, you made that story up to have a rant at banks. :D

I can assure you I did not make it up. I was pretty appalled at my brother for handing the money back, but the only reason he did was nothing to do with morals, which are being banded around here a lot, but he was afraid of being found out.

I agree this might be someone's money and you can be sure that the bank would have covered their a***es by saying it was someone's money, but as I said he did not see anyone leaving the ATM or standing anywhere near it.

I know bank staff like to say that ATMs never make mistakes, but you do read in the press every now and again about cash points which give double the money asked for and similar events and there is always a huge queue of people trying to take advantage of the bank's mistakes.
  • Claire2831
    Claire2831 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    I would have just thought that my guardian angel was smiling down on me that day and kept the money. I do many good deeds with out getting or expecting anything in return. The banks have never done me any favours so I would sleep soundly at night. I’d probably buy my mum a big bunk of flowers and kept the rest under my mattress for a rainy day.
  • honeymonster748
    Options
    CCTV is sure to have got him at the ATM.
    Althought, in order for this 'evidence' to be used against your brother, a few things would need to happen:
    1) The individual who stupidly walked off leaving £300 would have to report it.
    2) The bank would have to cooperate with the complainant (who may not even bank there), then have someone study the video footage.
    3) The bank would then have to follow this up by reporting the incident and handing over evidence to the police.

In the unlikely event that things got this far, how on earth would they have identified your brother? (even with a clear CCT image).
    If he hadnt used his card, they had nothing.
    I cant see them posting a videofit and lookout at customs for the guy who walked off with £300.

Its one of those again I think- would it keep you awake at night laying in bed 1 month later?
    If your the type of person who would sleep ok, then fine- keep it.
    :OP

I have to say- I am amazed at the apparent level of honesty by forum members and presumably the general British public.
    In many ways I suppose that should be something to be proud of, but I also suspect it's that approach that means we always come last at everything, (sport, politics, sun loungers etc etc)
  • vet8
    vet8 Posts: 877 Forumite
    Options
    I have to say- I am amazed at the apparent level of honesty by forum members and presumably the general British public.
    In many ways I suppose that should be something to be proud of, but I also suspect it's that approach that means we always come last at everything, (sport, politics, sun loungers etc etc)

I am afraid that as I have got older I realise that there is no point in being honest. I know it is a terrible thing to say, but I read in the papers every day about free loaders and scroungers who get bucket loads of money from the state and do nothing, while there is an ever shrinking pool of hard-working, tax-paying people who get screwed every day.

I just feel that the way things are going at the moment there is no incentive to be honest and hard working. Those who play the system seem to win all the time. Anyway moan over. I'll have a drink and cheer up:beer:
  • Extant
    Extant Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options

I'm American (and lived in the US for much longer than I have the UK), and we're first at everything... and I'd still give it back. ;)
    What would William Shatner do?
  • woody01
    woody01 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    I'm American (and lived in the US for much longer than I have the UK), and we're first at everything... and I'd still give it back. ;)

First at arrogance at thats it.
  • honeymonster748
    Options

....thats just a matter of numbers. Each state is the size of most blooming countries!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure