Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 16th Feb 09, 3:21 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. You spotted the voucher. Should you keep the cash?
    • 16th Feb 09, 3:21 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. You spotted the voucher. Should you keep the cash? 16th Feb 09 at 3:21 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

You spotted the voucher. Should you keep the cash?

You volunteered to organise a night out for your football/book/knitting/salsa class group. You've chosen a really good value restaurant with a set price menu, and even been organised enough to collect the cash in advance. Yet on the morning of the meal you spot a restaurant voucher knocking a fiver a head off the price. Do you refund the cost to everyone in the group or would you keep schtum and pocket the cash for yourself, effectively meaning your dinner and drinks are free?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:
    Would you buy your neighbours’ repossessed house?
    Would you ask for a tip back?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 18-02-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Page 1
    • brightonman123
    • By brightonman123 17th Feb 09, 8:42 PM
    • 8,313 Posts
    • 48,376 Thanks
    brightonman123
    • 17th Feb 09, 8:42 PM
    • 17th Feb 09, 8:42 PM
    treat everyomne to a drink, and only 'confess' after they have had it, if need be!
    Long time away in real life, no web..
    Sometimes seen lurking on competitions forum :-)
    • LeeSouthEast
    • By LeeSouthEast 17th Feb 09, 9:06 PM
    • 3,768 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    LeeSouthEast
    • 17th Feb 09, 9:06 PM
    • 17th Feb 09, 9:06 PM
    Given everyone was happy to pay it, get them a drink to begin with.
  • barnaby-bear
    • 17th Feb 09, 10:20 PM
    • 17th Feb 09, 10:20 PM
    Really there is no such thing as a free meal - if someone twigs and a high risk someone will; there will be someone down the line there who is your future bosses sister, who will think it off enough to not invite your kid to a class party, will tell your mum - even if you have no moral qualms there's risk vs. return and bad karma etc goes around. On the other hand give everyone back a fiver and people will think you are great and credit you with their bonus - free good karma, even if you don't give a t0ss about doing them a good deal it could do yourself one!
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 18-02-2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: typo fixed
  • redamc
    • 18th Feb 09, 12:19 AM
    • 18th Feb 09, 12:19 AM
    No Way would I keep the money myself, I would be thrilled to have arranged a fun night out for FRIENDS, and would not be able to live with my concience otherwise.
    • megsykins
    • By megsykins 18th Feb 09, 12:49 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    megsykins
    • 18th Feb 09, 12:49 AM
    • 18th Feb 09, 12:49 AM
    Same as Lee - use the saved cash to buy a couple of bottles of wine for the table
    • Taffybiker
    • By Taffybiker 18th Feb 09, 6:34 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Taffybiker
    • 18th Feb 09, 6:34 AM
    • 18th Feb 09, 6:34 AM
    I would refund everyone their fiver. It would make the night that bit more enjoyable for all, and would be safe in the knowledge that no-one would learn about this voucher at a later time and get upset.
    I could buy drinks for the table as mentioned above but some of my friends are teetotal.
  • Susan Frost
    • 18th Feb 09, 7:00 AM
    • 18th Feb 09, 7:00 AM
    I would give everyone their fiver. Cos that's what it is, THEIR FIVER. That's what per head means.

Not cos I may be found out later, or spend it on wine, which some may not want. A fiver is a fiver and some could possibly do with the cash. I know I could have done with a fiver in my poorer, none drinking cos could not afford a taxi, days.
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 18th Feb 09, 7:09 AM
    • 476 Posts
    • 318 Thanks
    tallgirld
    • 18th Feb 09, 7:09 AM
    • 18th Feb 09, 7:09 AM
    I would give them back their fiver.

Knowing my luck if I kept it I would be found out and then be accused of being CHEAP !!!! LOL
  • lincolnjean
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

You spotted the voucher. Should you keep the cash?

You volunteered to organise a night out for your football/book/nitting/salsa class group. You've chosen a really good value restaurant with a set price menu, and even been organised enough to collect the cash in advance. Yet on the morning of the meal you spot a restaurant voucher knocking a fiver a head off the price. Do you refund the cost to everyone in the group or would you keep schtum and pocket the cash for yourself, effectively meaning your dinner and drinks are free?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:
    Would you buy your neighbours’ repossessed house?
    Would you ask for a tip back?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Originally posted by MSE Wendy
    I couldn't be that mean, but I would add the extra cash raised to the booze fund for the night, hic!
  • lincolnjean
    [quote=lincolnjean;18906071]I couldn't be that mean, but I would add the extra cash raised to the booze fund for the night, hic![/quote ]
  • lamp
    Give them back their money/buy drinks for the table with it/put it as a drinks tab. To be honest with you, I wouldn't be surprised if a number of those people would respond "nah, that's alright! You organised the meal, you keep the fiver for your troubles". You got a fiver off your own meal!
  • spudz
    I would let everyone know that there meal was now £5 cheaper and asked them whether they wanted the money back or wanted to put it towards drinks.
    • irishemma
    • By irishemma 18th Feb 09, 8:12 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    irishemma
    I would have told everyone about the voucher before we went out and I would expect that that meant we all paid a fiver less each. I am quite shocked how many people wouldn't! I think that is quite sneaky...
  • hpiper
    I would offer to give the £5 back, or offer to put it towards the drinks. I would not keep it.
  • linuxsapien
    stupid question
    Id bet they would love extra booze for that fivver..

Could even raffle the cash away, and the winner buys drinks..
  • Pink Fairy
    I would definitely tell about the voucher and ask if people wanted the money refunded or, since they'd already paid out, be prepared to donate to charity! They'd be no worse off and the charity would benefit. (BTW - I'm teetotal and am on a Charity Fund Raising Committee )
    DMP mutual support thread No: 433 - Mortgage - £54,556, Credit cards - £4012, Unsecured loan - £3,376, Other - £419

Now isn't always!
    Major Stella Ward
    1928 - 2007

• Dorrie
    • By Dorrie 18th Feb 09, 8:40 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Dorrie
    Give everyone £5 back. No way would I keep it - that is dishonest.
  • cranezoe
    theres no way I would keep quiet about it! I'd be pretty proud I found the voucher in the first place lol and excited to tell them about it! I'd prob say - look I have this voucher and we'll get £5 off each isnt that great?! and then I'd suggest we used it as a drinks tab if everyone was happy or would they prefer to have the money now.
    Simple.
  • SimonG78
    theres no way I would keep quiet about it! I'd be pretty proud I found the voucher in the first place lol and excited to tell them about it! I'd prob say - look I have this voucher and we'll get £5 off each isnt that great?! and then I'd suggest we used it as a drinks tab if everyone was happy or would they prefer to have the money now.
    Simple.
    Originally posted by cranezoe
    I'd do the same, knowing my friends that would be the perfect solution and it would all be spent on drink.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

233Posts Today

2,429Users online

Martin's Twitter