PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hash glorious hash

Options
Hash has to be one of the most delicious and cheapest meals around. We had corned beef hash for supper yesterday and I wish I'd made more as every bit was devoured by my family.

You just need potatoes, onion, some protein and some sort of fat for frying. The secret is in slow frying so that the hash develops a gorgeous crust.

Hash basics

Boil a lot of potatoes.

Heat some fat in a frying pan -I use beef dripping but olive oil is good or any veg oil.

Add a chopped onion and let it colour a bit -don't fry too quickly.

Next tip in your boiled spuds (I don't peel) and use a masher in the pan to break them up.

Leave them to fry for a bit then tip in your protein. A tin of corned beef is delicious.

Using a fish slice/turner lift up the hash and turn over so that the crusty bits are on top. Don't rush it, allow it to brown and develop its crust over a lowish flame, turning the hash now and again.

Don't forget to season -I think hash has to be fairly highly seasoned but watch the salt if your using corned beef as it is already salty;)

Serve up with baked beans and/or veg and pass round the sauces -ketchup, Worcester, brown, chilli.

Hash options

To your spuds and onion add -

Leftover roast meat is an obvious one- add leftover veg and gravy too to make quite a wet hash. A splash of sherry to this mixture is delicious.

Leftover chicken, anchovies and black olives makes a delicious hash -think that was a Hugh F-W idea.

Peppers, chorizo and a fried egg on top is fantastic.

Veggie hash with mushrooms, peppers, leeks and a fried egg on top.

Cheesey hash -leeks would be good here plus a handful of cheese.

Samosa hash -fry garam masala with the onions and add cooked peas like the filling for samosas.

Sausage hash -use chopped cooked sausages or raw sausage meat.

Red flannel hash is corned beef and beetroot.

Christmas lunch hash -my favourite and better than the actual Christmas lunch. Just add all the leftover veg, meat and gravy plus the accompanying sauces and stuffings.Yummy;)

Can anyone think of any other hash ideas ?

Comments

• littlepinky84
    Options
    i love Hash so will be watching this thread with interest :D
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute :whistle:
  • sammyjig
    sammyjig Posts: 243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    could you use a lunceon meat type thing? my MIL gave me 4 tins of the stuff and we are not all that keen in sandwiches.
    :)Do more of what makes you happy:)
  • Tidy_Up_Tash
    Options
    I'm doing Corned Beef Hash for dinner today. We all love it here. Never thought to use something other than corned beef, though (apart from Xmas Dinner Hash which is the best post Xmas meal ever! :D)
    :T Weight Loss (Start Weight 14st 12lb): 5/24 lbs :T
    CC Debt: 01 Jan 2015: £11,462 :(Now: £10,850 EOY Target: £7,500 :)
    :xmassmile Saving for Xmas 2015: £75.11/£300 :xmassmile
    2015 GC: Jan £199.91/£200 | Feb £188.21/£200 | Mar/Apr :exclamati | May £118.44/£200
    NSDs: Jan ? | Feb 9 | Mar/Apr :exclamati | May 1 - - - 2nd Purse: £30
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sammyjig wrote: »
    could you use a lunceon meat type thing? my MIL gave me 4 tins of the stuff and we are not all that keen in sandwiches.
    I'm sure you could -I love Spam:D The point about this sort of recipe is that it is so adaptable. I think it much more useful to learn basic recipes like this than to just follow someone's printed recipe.

Other adaptable recipes are pilaff (rice with bits in as we call it;) ), tomato sauce for pasta, main course salads (the sort with cheese, meat or fish in), pie, omelettes. Mmmm...:think: ideas for other threads...:)
  • hayley11
    hayley11 Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're right it is soooo cheap to make, I made two pan fulls of corned beef hash yesterday, we love it. I just use:

A tin of corned beef
    Potatoes
    Onion
    Leek
    Carrot
    Mushrooms
    Veg stock

Then just let it simmer til it's all soft and yummy, I put dumplings in it too.
    :heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
    I :heart2: my doggies
  • Quintain_2
    Quintain_2 Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    Try adding cooked sprouts to the Corned beef/onion/potato mixture.

Even our son and grandson who 'hate' sprouts, SCOFF IT, especially if we make it in 'fishcake' size patties dipped in egg and breadcrumbs.
    Watch out for the sandbag.
  • Mutantk
    Mutantk Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all - reading this thread with interest - I tried corned beef hash a little while ago after reading a basic recipe on here but it didn't turn out that well - almost as soon as I tipped in the tinned corn beef it melted down to runny dog food consistency......Thriftlady you mentioned it going crispy but mine would not have gone like that no matter how long I cooked it for.....do you think the pan was too hot or is there something else I'm missing?
    If Life Deals You a Lemon - Make Lemonade!! :j
  • rustyjemma
    rustyjemma Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    hayley11 wrote: »
    You're right it is soooo cheap to make, I made two pan fulls of corned beef hash yesterday, we love it. I just use:

A tin of corned beef
    Potatoes
    Onion
    Leek
    Carrot
    Mushrooms
    Veg stock

Then just let it simmer til it's all soft and yummy, I put dumplings in it too.

being a bit dim but that sounds like stew:confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • Lily-Lu
    Lily-Lu Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I was a kid my mum made what she called 'corned beef hash'. It was never fried like that though. More like a stew where everything went into a big pot on the stove - corned beef, onions, carrots, potatoes etc.
    I wonder if it's a regional thing, or did she just call it that?:confused:

Anyway, this way (all in the frying pan) sounds very much like 'bubble and squeak',,,,Now that was everything left over from a roast dinner and I certainly remember enjoying that :D
  • hayley11
    hayley11 Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rustyjemma wrote: »
    being a bit dim but that sounds like stew:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Oh don't know? :rotfl: It's just what I call potato/corned beef ash :confused: Why how does everybody else make it?
    :heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
    I :heart2: my doggies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family