PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It was all worth it anyway, I passed my test. XD

Well done, that's great! :j

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • jintyb
    jintyb Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Options
    xx_Jo_xx wrote: »
    Hi to All,

I have a question...... This weekend I personally didnt spend anything on food/shopping etc.

So I need to include these figures in my totals as technicallly, I would have had to buy some of the things, i.e. Milk, washing powder etc. Or is it just a bonus that he bought it for me!?

I wouldnt include it - technically its a present! Heh, Heh! Look on it as a wee bonus! :D

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • xx_Jo_xx
    xx_Jo_xx Posts: 2,858 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    jintyb wrote: »
    I wouldnt include it - technically its a present! Heh, Heh! Look on it as a wee bonus! :D

Woo Hoo!! :j
    :)Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying:)
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW :idea: August 2013... Debt total £15,475.56 - Jan 15 £11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC £48.02/£250 (£201.98)
    :D I will declutter my house and debts :D
  • GC81
    GC81 Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    I wondered with the new forum open if the Grocery Challenge will be moved?

I think, for me, that it covers two areas, one of keeping on budget being a "sassy shopper" and the other doing my best to get back into a "old style" way of meals.

What do others think?
  • LittleGemSaver
    Options
    GC81 wrote: »
    I wondered with the new forum open if the Grocery Challenge will be moved?

I think, for me, that it covers two areas, one of keeping on budget being a "sassy shopper" and the other doing my best to get back into a "old style" way of meals.

What do others think?

I really like the old style way of meals personally - good wholesome, homemade food using up all the left overs so nothing goes to waste is great! Also making things from scratch rather than ready made processed meals for me, is a definate must!
    I enjoy reading how people use up things from yesterdays tea & make a fab new dish with the leftovers for a family! :T
    GC march £80 budget/£1.67 left
    GC April £80 budget/£54.50 left

was 10st 4lb 20th march 2009 now 9st 12lb
    :j Owner of 4 Michael Jackson tickets for 1st feb 2010!
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Miss_Liquorice-Well done!
    xx_Jo_xx yes they were presents!
    We can all go to far at times on counting things!
    Another NSD day for me today.
    Stayed in apart from going to the gym just now and thats paid for already!
    Just have to delve into the freezer now or it will be jelly for tea!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations, Miss Liquorice, thanks for sharing your good news. :T Next part's the costly part - the actual car and running costs, hope you've saved enough to cover everything.

I'm not a fan of the term 'Old Style' as I didn't ever know there was any other way, apart from modern convenience. I prefer the word 'traditional' to 'old'. :rotfl: But I also think I'm quite a sassy shopper, though I say so myself. :D

Boiling some pasta to mix with leftover bolognese sauce, which is in a bowl heating over the pasta in the steamer - seemed a shame to waste such warming energy. :rotfl:

I'm running a bit over average after including 2 Approved Food orders. The freezer, larder, cupboards and pantry are all full, which means I really only need fresh produce like milk and fruit for the rest of this month. I'm sure having the new Ald! store within 5 miles of me will help big time as it makes it my closest shop, never mind supermarket! :T
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well -- my meal plan (and possibly March budget) is out of the window after Thursday !!! So I've won't have managed to make it to the end of the third of six weeks on a plan that has been working really well :eek:

Why? Elder DS rang this afternoon to say his Easter Leave (from the Army) starts on Thursday night -- so he's driving home from Germany on Friday (which is also his birthday). And he's not due back until 20th --- of April !!!! He wasn't expecting to finish until 27th March or 3rd April, so this has come as a total bolt out of the blue - but at least he's called to let me know as soon as he found out, meaning the grief I gave him about lack of notice for his last leave (and what I had being second-hand via his sister) must have sunk in :T

So I've an extra mouth to feed for five weeks, and a lot of meals in the next 3 weeks were using up 'the last 2 portions' from the freezer - so I'm going to have to hope the freezer space can cope with me cooking up another batch of 4 portions (which I'll have to stretch to 5, so I can use 3 and freeze 2). The rest of the meals were using up the last of things like beef grillsteaks or chicken kievs -- neither of which I want to have to go and buy another packet of, as that will leave me with odd numbers until he's home for his next period of leave :confused: (Can't do them twice while he's home, as younger DS will complain about having too many meals repeated in such a short space of time - and so will I :rolleyes2 )
    Cheryl
  • fatcattaff
    fatcattaff Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Just updated my signature and I'm panicking. I've spent £145.25 so far and it's only 9th March! My husband says not to worry...we'll get by with what's in the house for a week or three, we'll just need bread and suchlike, but he's a man....Anyway...today's shop at Mr S came in at £35.85. DH reminded me that I used to think nothing of an £80 or £90 shop, so things have improved, but I would love to get things down cheaper. I must start looking at my receipts.

Anyway....major purchases this week included cheese (as always) I stick to basics, but it's still pricey. I bought Rice Krispies (do they still have them in Poundland? Might pop in and take a look tomorrow). I spent 40p on whoopsied chestunt mushies; got 2 x 2ltrs of milk for £2 (the same deal as Farm Foods...now they just need to drop the Kingsmill from £2 for 2 to £1.50 for 2 and I don't have to trek across town any more). And the cucumbers were 30p off, making them less than a pound each...still exhorbitant in my book, but it's the staple of dd's diet.

I also bought 2 jars of mayo (whilst it's on offer) 2 lots of fresh pasta which we don't need for a while (again, on offer at £1 a pack) and mini nans (buy one pack, get one free).

I'm off to Home Bargains/cheap shopping tomorrow for tomatoes, beans, etc and might pop in at Aldi too for grapes (I love their red grapes for 69p).

Bit of belt tightening due to kick in from now. I'll keep my thread updated.
    Drop half a stone for January challenge.
    Grocery Challenge March £320/
    Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort. (Thank you Mr Roosevelt)
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    quote=fatcattaff -Just updated my signature and I'm panicking. I've spent £145.25 so far and it's only 9th March! My husband says not to worry...we'll get by with what's in the house for a week or three, we'll just need bread and suchlike, but he's a man....
    yes -but its a good thing :j -It looks like you and I have the same kind of hubby :D -he will eat what is put in front of him without a murmur :T .... I think we should count ourselves very lucky ;) ...much better than him huffing n puffing about not having "this that and the other in" ;)
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport