TV Licence article Discussion

Options

Comments

• krixike
    krixike Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya, many thanks fr quick response! Well, when I set it up, TBH, I don't really know what I've actually installed, but not for TV for sure as I have no TV device at all! So, honesltly only use it for normal internet. No kids programmes, no live channels in UK (just sometimes live channels abroad, but definetely not UK ones if that makes a difference at all!). And of course, downloading movies & music, but once again, nothing live or BBC at all...
    What do you think? What if I just contact NOW TV to double check as I have only got broadband package with them nothing else, so don't really know what to set/reset differently on my box - if needed at all. However I presume the watchdogs could defo find out if I connected any TV devise to the box at all...or?
  • krixike
    Options
    also, since I've recently moved to this new flat, what about if this letter was consigned to the previous tenant in the same flat? since there's no name on the envelope at all....
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 April 2018 at 10:32PM
    Options
    krixike wrote: »
    However after this "warning" letter I was a bit scared...
    They send letters to every unlicensed address, millions of them.
    I moved in a month ago and only set up a broadband accound with NOW TV, have no TV at all and never watched BBC programmes live...
    You don't need a Licence just for broadband (it may confuse things that it is from Now TV, who supply Broadband, Pay TV and physical Hardware all called by the same brand name). I have all three and no need for a TV Licence.

You don't say what you do watch, if anything. If you watch or record any TV broadcasts from the UK, or their Internet streaming equivalent, or use BBC iPlayer you need a TV Licence, which is a Licence for receiving TV not for owning equipment.
    no live channels in UK (just sometimes live channels abroad, but definetely not UK ones if that makes a difference at all!)
    Be aware that TVL say that you need a Licence for that (although their advice is confused, and I don't think it is legally accurate).
    Can they really have the right to conduct any search in my premises?
    They don't have a general right of access. They can apply to a Court for a Warrant to gain access, but they do that extremely rarely.
  • krixike
    Options
    Hello - OK thanks noted, but still a bit confusing, if watching a foreign live news channel (in EU, not UK or BBC) why counts for this...
    Anyway, how can I simply hide or deny that I have ever watched such? I can simply delete my browser history or they don't even understand on the other foregn language what I've watched was live at that time or not? There's no way they can prove it, is it?
    Secondly, if moving abroad in a year or so and just ignoring these mails, what could happen?
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    also, since I've recently moved to this new flat, what about if this letter was consigned to the previous tenant in the same flat? since there's no name on the envelope at all....
    As someone who has to deliver these evil letters (I work for Royal Mail), I can assure you that if there's no name it's meant for the current occupier (you in this case) or property owner (if the place is unoccupied). Should you get any mail addressed to someone who doesn't live there you should put a line through the address and write 'gone away' or 'not known at the address' on the envelope before putting it back into a postbox. If it's simply been put through your letterbox by accident you should either push it through where it was meant for or put it back in a mailbox without writing on it. Withholding mail (which you are if you don't do this) is actually an offence you can be charged with, although that's unlikely to happen.
    Cheryl
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    Hello - OK thanks noted, but still a bit confusing, if watching a foreign live news channel (in EU, not UK or BBC) why counts for this...
    As I said, I don't think it does, but TVL seem to say otherwise. All I can suggest is that you phone them and ask them, and go by what they say.
    Anyway, how can I simply hide or deny that I have ever watched such? I can simply delete my browser history or they don't even understand on the other foregn language what I've watched was live at that time or not? There's no way they can prove it, is it?
    No, you're right, and since you probably have the law on your side, you could do just that. If a TVL person calls at your address, you can simply ignore them, or tell them to leave. An ideal form of words is this: "Sorry, it's not convenient right now, but feel free to call back some other time".
    Secondly, if moving abroad in a year or so and just ignoring these mails, what could happen?
    The letters are meaningless, hollow threats. They are a national disgrace IMHO, and it embarrasses me when people from outside the UK see our national institutions out of control and behaving irrationally like this.

Ignoring the letters is not a problem. Also ignore the TVL people if they should call at your home. If you do that, then it's extremely unlikely that they would be able to take any action against you.
  • krixike
    Options
    appreciate your honest opinion & advice, indeed!
    it is really shocking though, that even if paying for a service provider to use broadband, some other "crafty" "authorities" feel the right to rip you off for any nonsense reason they call it..
    Anyway, hopefully will sort it out now by this and ignoring these mails, however am a bit uncertain in case my agent (advertising the property via the landlord) notices this that at the end of my tenancy with them and in case moving elsewhere, they try to withhold the deposit for the flat before I pay in the license fee...
    Can they do that? Are they normally also notified by TVL on my broadband subspription or outstanding payment obligation towards TVL?
    It might be a bit too unealistic, but you never know...or do you?
  • krixike
    Options
    also, just to be on the safe side, should I just stop watching online news from abroad?:-)
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    it is really shocking though, that even if paying for a service provider to use broadband, some other "crafty" "authorities" feel the right to rip you off for any nonsense reason they call it..
    It genuinely is on the margin of the TV Licence to consider Broadband access. Mostly what they are looking for is actual TVs showing actual UK TV programs.
    Anyway, hopefully will sort it out now by this and ignoring these mails, however am a bit uncertain in case my agent (advertising the property via the landlord) notices this that at the end of my tenancy with them and in case moving elsewhere, they try to withhold the deposit for the flat before I pay in the license fee...
    Can they do that? Are they normally also notified by TVL on my broadband subspription or outstanding payment obligation towards TVL?
    No to all of that.

- BB suppliers do not notify TVL about BB contracts.

- Although many tenancy agreements state that a TV Licence is required, this effectively means "if needed".

- The Licence is not a continuing liability for a new tenant, so there is no need for the Letting Agent of Landlord to concern themselves with it (and most likely they will not).
  • krixike
    Options
    Okay, thanks for the clarifcation. You are right, just rechecked and my tenancy agreement does say that the tenant is liable to pay for the use f allthe utilities, incl. television license, broadband etc that the tenant elects to install, however , again they can't prove that in case no TV device at all, what programmes do I actually watch via the internet.

So based on this, it is a kind of relief now, if not 100%, but hopefully there wo't be really any issue.
    Just in case, would you suggest maybe to let TVL know at least once that I do not have any TV thus not subject to the license fee or just ignore them completely?

Also, still need to know some technical support on how to hide my internet activity better...using VPN maybe?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback