Can 3 million EVs replace 30 million oil cars?

Options
Seems like a ridiculously low number doesn't it?

How can 3 million robo EVs replace 30 million human cars in the UK.
The basic idea is that the robo EVs do 10 x the average mileage as the human cars so you only need 1/10th as many......But surely there are more than 3 million cars on the road at peak commuter times.....maybe not....certainly not as many as imagined

This and this seem to suggest that is possible
http://nhts.ornl.gov/2009/pub/stt.pdf
https://www.rethinkx.com/blog/2017/6/14/how-many-cars

The main factor seems to be that commuting is done over a period of hours 5AM to 9AM so the same car can actually provide a service for multiple commuters. So over those 4 hours a robo EV could actually transport 12 commuter trips. 3 trips an hour over a 4 hour morning commuter peak. So you do not need 1 car per commuter but maybe only 1 car per 10 commuters. Same reason electric showers dont fry the grid in the mornings. All used in the mornings but not at the exact same time rather during a 5AM-9AM period so the same 12KW of grid power can actually power 40 showers lasting 6 mins each.

Also interestingly it seems that only about 20-25% of car trips are for commuting for work. The other 75-80% are for shopping/visiting friends&family/School/Choirs/Retraction. Such that demand for car trips is more smooth than people imagine with a fairly even demand distribution from 6AM to about 8PM and low demand period outside of those hours.

This is amazing news and points to electrified transport massively and rapidly taking over from oil powered cars once self drive software is invested. The world does not need to produce 100 million EVs a year to displace 100 million oil car yearly production. Instead the world needs to produce 10 million self drive EVs to displace 100 million oil car yearly production. This means -90% demand for steel for cobalt for aluminum for copper for lithium for.....in the car sector. It also means battery production capacity wont be a problem in ramping up EVs to meet world demand

:beer::beer:

Comments

• GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2019 at 11:33PM
    Options
    The 'bad' news is these 3 million EVs with perhaps 15 kWh battery packs wont be providing much in the form of energy storage capacity to the grid. The total storage capacity is only 3% of what you would get if you model 30 million uk BEVs with 50kWh average sized batteries.

Another factor will be that these will probably typically charge ~3 times per day. Once during the night time and twice during the day adding some 2.5GW of night demand and 5GW of day demand but with some ability to avoid the most peak 3 hours during winter evenings

But the good news is this will make BEV deployment very rapid and cheap
    A $20,000 half size robo EV doing 80,000 miles a year with 120 mile range and 15kWh battery is going to have 1/10th the per mile capital cost of a personal drive yourself EV

You could have bigger battery packs so less day charging and more night charging but then you add weight and cost with no real benefits to a taxi apart from a 20 mins supercharge during the day. The sweet spot will be somewhere in the region of 10-20 kWh batteries getting 7-10 miles per kWh
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 July 2019 at 8:45AM
    Options
    Im going to guess the is around 18m kids under 18, lets say half will want a ride and has to be in class by 8AM, even if you half it again its more than 3 million, or will you just ban kids? They will use them to a lot, And then disabled use will also rise.

And many will by tied up on longer journeys, you would need some set aside for local and others for long distance, once at the end they can do local trips or will just have to park, or drive in circles.
  • Piddles
    Piddles Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    markin wrote: »
    Im going to guess the is around 18m kids under 18, lets say half will want a ride and has to be in class by 8AM, even if you half it again its more than 3 million, or will you just ban kids? They will use them to a lot, And then disabled use will also rise.

....and the elderly (a fast growing but increasingly isolated section of society) and the unemployed (cheap, fast transport to a far great range of employment opportunities). Inclusion is big part of the benefit of autonomous vehicles. There will be a big increase in usage, but that's good thing.

In urban areas, there will likely be more shared riding (think platooning minibus sized pods), and demand pricing like Uber. So, on end user cost grounds (parents will be paying by then....) the kids will be riding in these.
  • GreatApe
    Options

And many will by tied up on longer journeys, you would need some set aside for local and others for long distance, once at the end they can do local trips or will just have to park, or drive in circles.

You are trying to guess peak demand. Why try to guess when I gave you a link where they did the research and posted data about peak useage times etc

Regarding your numbers for kids.
    There are about 14-15 million kids under 18
    Babies and toddlers don't go to school
    About 12 million do go to school
    Most walk as schools are spread out as I did for my primary and secondary school
    Those that don't walk will be sharing cars like siblings or school friends who live on the same street

If half walk as it's close and the other half share 3 to a EV you are at 2 million EV trips in the morning to drop off kids to school. Spread this over a 1 hour period and allow each EV to do three trips and you need 0.66 million EVs to do 2 million trips to take 6 million kids to school

You still have 2.33 million EVs to sort out everyone else

As I keep saying look at the links
    It shows car useage isn't one big peak in the morning and one big peak in the evening
    Commuters are only about 1/4th of all car trips. The majority the other 3/4th are very spread out
  • GreatApe
    Options
    Piddles wrote: »
    ....and the elderly (a fast growing but increasingly isolated section of society) and the unemployed (cheap, fast transport to a far great range of employment opportunities). Inclusion is big part of the benefit of autonomous vehicles. There will be a big increase in usage, but that's good thing.

In urban areas, there will likely be more shared riding (think platooning minibus sized pods), and demand pricing like Uber. So, on end user cost grounds (parents will be paying by then....) the kids will be riding in these.

Yes there will be sharing especially kids to school

The point I'm making is that it looks like you may only need as many as 1/10th in self drive EVs Vs personal transport

The reason is demand for transportation isn't one huge peak to get to work and one huge peak to get back. Demand is far more smooth throughout the day than anyone realises.

Commuting to work is only about 25% of car trips
    The result is such that one car can indeed be used for 10 times as many miles

A robo EV might start work at 5am and spend the next 4 hours carrying commuters to work.
    It carries 12 commuters to work (3 trios an hour) and assuming no pooling. Or perhaps 36 assuming pooling

Then at 9am it switches to moving people around for choirs shopping family visits and trips.
    It might spend 9am to 4pm moving these people around. Clocking up 20 trips done. Then from 4pm to 8pm it goes back to catering for commuters returning for work.

All in all this car can do 250 miles of trips a day rather than 25 mile average of human cars

Demand really could be reduced from 30 million human driven to 3 million robo driven
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The trouble, as I see it, is that if you're poorer you can have/own an old car and keep it running 10-15-20 years or so, using it when you like, with it working out cheaper than using buses/taxis/hire cars.

Shared EVs would be smart, quite new, well maintained, regularly serviced, regularly cleaned - all higher costs. Poorer people wouldn't be able to afford to buy into the dream of the shared EV model.

My next car will be petrol.... and I expect to pay under £2k for it. I expect that car to last 5-10 years.
  • GreatApe
    Options

Also you forgot the age 16-18 kids start at different hours/times
    And you could have have councils set schools to start over a period of 1 hour
    So 1/4th start at 8am. 1/4t start at 8.20am. 1/4th start at 8.40am and 1/4th at 9am but this probably won't be necessary.

Plus the average trip is about 1.3 miles for primary and 3 miles for secondary so these robo EVs can make multiple trips per hour.

Oh and having just looked at the stats

42% of 5-16 year olds walk to school
    35% take a car to school
    23% take a bus

Also yes you could ban/incentivise kids from taking any form of transportation depending on the distance
    About 80% of kids walk when the distance is sub 1 mile
    Whereas this drops to about 40% when the distance is 1-2 miles
    Both those could be closer to 90% and not for easing road congestion but for health.
    Kids walking 30 mins to school and 30 mins back is more healthy than taking a bus or car sitting down
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 July 2019 at 11:13AM
    Options
    That 42% of kids that do walk, what are they going to do when its raining cats and dogs or its the coldest week of the year, They will want to go in a cab, and with EV's plus Autopilot, the is no way they can be expensive, the is already a cab company in Florida USA that have EVs And Advert funded driver and car, so its a free ride! Nickel ride

(*Breaking news* 14HR ago, They just shut down all services, after two years, If its a Money problem im sure they will be back up with a small fee. Add revenue is likely up and down so a small fee will help balance it out.)

"Nickel Ride says they are not saying goodbye but see you later as they intend to let riders know what their next steps will be. "

https://www.fox4now.com/news/local-news/free-nickel-rides-shuts-down-business-in-southwest-florida

You would have to charge a peak price to discourage use if you want to keep to your 3million cabs, I can tell you my car usage would increase 300% if it was just one third the price of a cab today.
  • GreatApe
    Options
    The trouble, as I see it, is that if you're poorer you can have/own an old car and keep it running 10-15-20 years or so, using it when you like, with it working out cheaper than using buses/taxis/hire cars.

Shared EVs would be smart, quite new, well maintained, regularly serviced, regularly cleaned - all higher costs. Poorer people wouldn't be able to afford to buy into the dream of the shared EV model.

My next car will be petrol.... and I expect to pay under £2k for it. I expect that car to last 5-10 years.

What is your annual per mile cost?
    I think I run at about 30p a mile excluding depreciation
    Insurance (~10p a mile) and fuel (~15p a mile) being the two big ones plus maintenance

So even if you are able to buy a car for £2k and run it for 50,000 miles So you only pay 4p a mile on depreciation your cost is still about 35p a mile

Can self drive share robo EVs beat this 35p a mile for a cheap second hand car?
    I think it's quite likely

£20,000 EV used for say 600,000 miles over a 6 year period and then scrapped
    It's capital cost is only 3.5p a mile. That is actually lower cost per mile than buying the old petrol car for £2k and using it for 50,000 miles and binning it. Fuel maintenance and insurance per mile will be considerably cheaper too

My best guess is these self drive EVs will come in at 35p a mile (why undercut the cheap self own second hand market just charge the same and people will rather use this shiny new car than the second hand self drive one). If competition comes in (that is to say 3+ companies figure out self drive) then I think costs will reduce towards 15p a mile (plus whatever the government charges per mile to make up for lost fuel taxes)

Also you have to remember some 800,000 kids become adults per year in the UK
    For them it's much more expensive to start driving
    £2k lessons £2k insurance £2k crappy car plus fuel and maintenance and they might be looking at £8k to get into their crappy first new car. Or use the robo fleet for 35p a mile (falling to 15p a mile). Most of them will opt never to go through the expensive capital cost of learning and getting their first car. That is a huge customer base there even if the oldies decide to stick with second hand cars

Also human owned cars have other expensive costs
    I probably spend about £500 a year on parking (London :mad:)
    That is another cost you don't pay with the robo EV fleet
    Plus you save time. No day lost to upkeep and repair. No washing. No shopping for insurance. No stupid insurance/car ads. No stupid buying expensive cars to keep up with the neighbors. Safer.
  • Piddles
    Piddles Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options

You're way off the mark there. Once it gets to critical mass, the end user autonomous vehicle cost is expected to be 10% of that of the average individually owned internal combustion engined vehicle. Even less on shared journeys. It's going to be the cost that will drive that transition, not so much the safety, environmental, inclusion, competitiveness or housing benefits.

I'm with you on your current vehicle buying strategy, but whilst your capital costs are low, you still have insurance, road tax, fuel, servicing, tyres, MOT, parking, speeding fines, breakdowns, delays, rush hour, accidents, Dad's taxi service, road rage, traffic wardens, etc. still to factor in. All of which will be reduced or eliminated.

The capital cost of autonomous vehicles will be much higher, but utilisation rates will go from around 4% to 40% and average life mileage from around 100,000 to 400,000.

The unemployed will have cheap, fast transport to a much wider geographical area of employment opportunities.

So no, autonomous vehicles will be a great enabler for the poor.

On the flip side, there is the loss of driving jobs, dealer networks and the aftermarket jobs, insurance call centre jobs, etc. Often lower skilled jobs.

Then there is an eventual risk of an evolving marginalised underclass of people who get banned by the autonomous vehicle providers because they do daft stuff like trashing the vehicle whilst drunk, and for whom there will eventually be no alternative.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure