PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi! is it too late to join in? ...

welcome Linzi and good luck with your first GC :j

Spiggles and Hipeechiq, thinking of you both :grouphug:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    I had a day off yesterday and had good root through the cupboards for half used jars of stuff that need using up and have tweeked the menu plan and started next months using up

crystallised ginger
    tikka paste
    preserved lemons
    sundried tomatoes

that have been lurking for longer than I care to think. Next up tp tackle the mountain for dried pulses and grains I have collected
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • bargainhunterss
    Options
    another £20 spend last night on take out, oops! must...stop...spending!

going away this weekend with some girlfriends, but self catering and shared so hopefully not too expensive!

hope everyones having a good day and looking forward to the weekend! xxxx
    Every act of kindness, no matter how small, isn’t wasted ❤️
    "It’ll be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright - it’s not the end"
    Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want

2021 wins - 1
  • Nimeth
    Nimeth Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    Done another weekly shop, didn't need much this week as the freezer is nearly full to bursting!:rotfl: Did my usual A!di shop, spent £33.75 and then trotted off to Morrison$ and spent £11.80 (no entire sides of fish this week, lmao!) Total spend up to £116.02. Not bad, I can get away with spending up to £56 for the next two weeks to come in within budget but I shouldn't need to spend that much.:cool:
    Dec GC; £208.79/£220
    Save a life - Give Blood
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ragz wrote: »
    £15 spend today in co-op on meat offers. Every time they have their Elmwood Chicken on offer I wrestle with my conscience about whether I can buy it, but I usually end up deciding it's close enough to free range that I can. Am I the only one that does this?

Nope lol, i do exactly the same :D

I`m actually quite used to buying it now and i think that its just my brain kicking in automatically with the same dilemma. I buy my FR ones from Aldi but its not too close by so MrM is the next port of call but they are really expensive there. I still think of the Elmwood as second best but a good substitute.

I got a huge FR one in Aldi a couple of days ago and it was only £4.99 and has the tractor symbol on too so i`m really pleased.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • cookiemum
    cookiemum Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    £23.31 spend in Mr M. Pleased to say everything in trolley was on offer.

Iced buns currently in oven. Toad in the hole for tea. Enjoy friday:)

February Grocery Challenge £301.46/300
    To feed - Me, DH, DD, DS and 1 dog

• cutiepieabf
    cutiepieabf Posts: 344 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hey guys,

Thank you all for your ideas regarding the strawberries - i have just made some muffins with strawbs in and they are DELICIOUS!! so thank you to whoever it was that gave me that idea...

The recipe i used was as follows:

9oz sr flour
    4oz caster sugar
    2oz butter
    1 egg
    180ml milk
    handful of strawbs cut into squares

- preheat oven at gm6. place paper cases into muffin tray.
    - Mix flour sugar and butter in a bowl until combined.
    - mix milk and egg in a jug and then add to dry mixture. Mix well.
    - add strawbs and give another good stir.
    - divide mixture into muffin cases and bake for 20mins.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :rotfl:
    DFBX2016 #160 - £3550/£8800

DFBX2017 #160 - £0/£11,378

£0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) £0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    £820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) £0/£795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
  • cutiepieabf
    cutiepieabf Posts: 344 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    i think it was Long Tall Sally that asked what curry recipe i use so here goes - its from one of JO's books.

5 tbs veg oil
    2 tsp mustard seed
    1 tsp fenugreek seed
    1 tbs crushed coriander seeds
    3 chillies thinly sliced
    A few curry leaves
    Piece if ginger grated/tsp ginger spice
    3 onions chopped
    1 tsp chilli powder
    6 tomatoes chopped/tin of chopped toms
    tin of coconut milk
    salt
    2-3 chicken breasts sliced/cubed

you can add anything else really like carrots cubed, sweet potato, mushroom, peppers, etc.

SC version
    Now, what i would normally do is whack it all in the SC, but first, fry off all of the spices in a frying pan until they look browned and all of your clothes smell of curry, and then add them to the SC. if you want to brown your chicken you can but i never bother.
    Then whack everything else in, doesnt matter what order. give it a good stir and put on low setting if poss so that the meat/veg can absorb all the flavours.

Non SC version
    - Heat the frying pan and add mustard seeds. wait for them to pop then add fenugreek, chillies, curry leaves and ginger. Stir and fry for few mins.
    - Add chopped onion and cook for 5mins/until browned, then add chilli powder and turmeric.
    - Add tomatoes, cook for a few mins, then add coconut milk. Leave to simmer until the consistency of double cream, then season.
    - In a separate pan, stir fry the chicken strips and coriander seeds until lightly coloured then add to sauce and simmer for 10mins.

voila.:rotfl:
    DFBX2016 #160 - £3550/£8800

DFBX2017 #160 - £0/£11,378

£0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) £0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    £820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) £0/£795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
  • Pinwheel
    Pinwheel Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    Hello

Just update my signature again, had a good week with groceries really because my C**p 'share of the profits' vouchers came. I Did a £12.54 shop for milk, salad, ham and some treats for the weekend and only had to pay £1.60. I've also been to W**trose this morning and bought an onion and a pack of 2 Llo*d Grossman naan breads for 74p, half price. So it's vegetable curry tonight using some sad looking cauliflower, aubergine and potatoes and a total spend of £2.54. I have however got to do the shopping for next week later as we are out of lots of things, I'll be back to update later tonight.

Have a good day/weekend everyone.
    PWx
    June 2022 GC £372.89/£400
    May 2022 GC £439.33/£400

• ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Options
    Fish Man just been, spent £40 on 2kg mixed box of hake and plaice. Made a rather large dent in the budget so I am going to have to be super good now, but this will last us about 6 weeks.
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure