PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• salski
    salski Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all - well a first for me today - EVER. I had my first NSD ever! Im so chuffed. I walked to the shop with the dog to get some cigs and crisps, got halfway there and took the conscious decision to give up smoking again tomorrow. So thought whilst Im at it - have some humus and carros instead.
    Breakfast was cornflakes and milk
    dinner was a store cupboard meal of a pitta bread stuffed with humus, fried toms and mushrooms and grated cheese on top
    tea was a pizza with OH that was horrid - from Iceland - supposedly think and crispy but it was neither!
    Either way - I stopped myself from going to the shop - Im so chuffed! :) NSD NSD NSD! :)
    Loan finished Sep 2010 - HSBC CC - WAS £750 now £0! Natwest CC - WAS £1600 now £100 - Overdraughts to be worked on! WILL be debt free by mid 2011!!!
    £2000 Saved so far for maternity leave - Our baby girl arrived valentines day! Elsie Ann - WELCOME :heart:
    Sealed pot challenge number 4 - number 1167 - Last day smoking: 8/1/2011
  • Maybeanotherday
    Options
    Please can you put us down for £340 which equals to £85 a week this is including beer, cleaning products, bathroom products...can anyone advise me what else I need to do as Ive never done this before or PM me the thread I need to read?
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jolaaled wrote: »
    Have just also made Delia's Seville Orange Marmalade. It kept it on a rolling boil for 50 mins...it's still a bit runny!

Quick up date now that the marmalade has cooled a bit:

Now not nearly so runny..in fact, i think it should be ok after a short spell in fridge!

PHEW.I am relieved at the Seville Oranges were not cheap (£2.00 per kilo). Not used them before and they are strange looking fruit on the inside...lots of pips, a thick skin, but they do smell divine!..and the marmalade is really fab.
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Well done Salski! I get quite excited about not shopping too!

I went shopping yesterday, and put several things in my trolley only to take them out again as I don't need them. Ended up spending £35.67, but did include about £24 worth of medicine, vitamins, tissues, STs and a plug in air freshener. Just went through and worked that out, and quite shocked by the amount I spent that wasn't food!

Had macaroni cheese for dinner tonight - the children love it and it's quick. Unfortunately the OH 'helped' me. There's a reason I keep him out of the kitchen!! He asked if he could grate the cheese. I said yes, he said all of it? I said yes, only to turn around and find he'd grated all of a 500g block, rather than all of the partial block! What kind of wally would start a new cheese before finishing the old one? And why did he think i wanted that much cheese?!! Now i'll have to change my meal plan to use it all up as i've found that grated cheese doesn't keep for as long as block cheese. To make matters even worse, that was my last block! I always stock up on cheese as my children and i love it, (sometimes have 8 blocks piled up at the back of the fridge!) but I had been really good and not bought any yesterday, and now this!! ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Off to do some crafting now to calm down!!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done Salski! I get quite excited about not shopping too!

I went shopping yesterday, and put several things in my trolley only to take them out again as I don't need them. Ended up spending £35.67, but did include about £24 worth of medicine, vitamins, tissues, STs and a plug in air freshener. Just went through and worked that out, and quite shocked by the amount I spent that wasn't food!

Had macaroni cheese for dinner tonight - the children love it and it's quick. Unfortunately the OH 'helped' me. There's a reason I keep him out of the kitchen!! He asked if he could grate the cheese. I said yes, he said all of it? I said yes, only to turn around and find he'd grated all of a 500g block, rather than all of the partial block! What kind of wally would start a new cheese before finishing the old one? And why did he think i wanted that much cheese?!! Now i'll have to change my meal plan to use it all up as i've found that grated cheese doesn't keep for as long as block cheese. To make matters even worse, that was my last block! I always stock up on cheese as my children and i love it, (sometimes have 8 blocks piled up at the back of the fridge!) but I had been really good and not bought any yesterday, and now this!! ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Off to do some crafting now to calm down!!

PG x

PennyGrabber...grated cheese freezes really well..you could divide it up into portions and then freeze in individual bags.

HTH
  • fingersxed
    Options
    HI
    Shoppin day for me i,m afraid

I was gd n did lidl,b&m and finally tesco. Spent quite abit!!! Only £283.93 to last till end of Jan. :eek:

Watchin all my pennies now. Pickin up new ideas off the boards all the time. I,m totally addicted to spreadsheet. Can't believe how much we spent this month already.:p
  • minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    Options
    thanx will look them up!!!

So i had to buy ingredients today - had £6.46 in the purse spent all but 79p! but they didnt have any flour!! walked to local shop but they only had flour for 85p so went home rummaged in drawers found 6p and went back so total spend of £6.52 today!!!

tomorrow is going to be another nsd as i am not leaving the house!

I have been working since 1pm today! and am working as we speak - getting paid to loaf on the couch, got paid to watch footy earlier too!! so by end of weekend i should have earnt just over £100 after tax (which is 20% as its my second job!) so hoping with the savings we are making that that can go towards some of our debts!! though i wont get paid till next month!!!

oh i also done 3hrs of overtime last week!! all money in the kitty though again i wont see it till end of feb!!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • Tracey2609
    Options
    I have a couple of tips - some people may have already thought of them - so sorry if these are old hat...

When shopping by myself I always round the prices up to the nearest 50p, that way I always spend less (my maths is appalling! but I can manage to do this!) The other thing that I do is on the main food shop I get my husband to add it up for me - he always over estimates how much we've spent and that way for approx. 8 weeks we've been under budget on our weekly shop. I've also taken my debit card and credit cards out of my purse - that way I can't overspend as I've got "no safety net" !!!
    Always be yourself, unless you can be a Unicorn - then always be a Unicorn !
    No More Buying Unnecessary Toiletries - Joined May 2013

28x UU
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks to angelatgraceland, wssla00 and scotsaver - I will be trying that can of evap tomorrow(I feel a rice pud coming on!)

Trip to see APs went well and the lasagne I made turned out ok - more than enough for the 4 of us, so I brought back two helpings which DH and I will eat on Monday (so I don't have to cook whenI get home from work!)

The German apple cake was ok - quite moist and pleasant but not enough apple and cinnamon flavour for my taste. It wasn't cheap to make - 4 eggs and double cream and sour cream in it - and I am not sure if it cooked correctly as the picture showed the apples on the top but in my case the cake mix rose up and covered everything. It made a huge cake though (I used a 12x12 inch tin) and I have put three quarters of it in the freezer. The quarter I took with me today made 4 generous portions. I can post the recipe if required but as I said it isn't a moneysaving one!

As we were out visitng it was another NSD for me and no plans to shop tomorrow either!

Off for an early night now. Catch you all tomorrow folks.

Moniker
  • Equilibrium
    Options
    Billie-jo wrote: »
    Lobby is local dish to Staffordshire. Its a stew/soup type dish that tastes better the next day, very warming and we often have a large pan of this ready for when we come in when the weather is cold and wet.. Its a dish that contains more meat when you can afford it and more veg when you cant. :D I remember my granny making it and if it was near pay day you would be lucky to find any meat in it:rotfl:

11b - 1.5lb of stew beef (I use skirt beef) cut into bite sized chunks
    2 large onions - sliced
    handfull of pearl barley or rice
    some swede - diced small
    1-2 sticks celery, chopped
    4-5 carrots cut into thinish rounds
    4-5 potatoes cut into chunks.
    Stock or 2 beef stock cubes

put the meat, onions and pearl barley/rice into a large saucepan, add the stock or stock cubes and enough cold water to cover, bring to the boil then turn heat down and cook slowly until meat is tender.
    Now add the veg and some seasoning and add more water to cover if necessary, cook again until the veg is cooked. Stir occasionally.
    Serve in bowls with thick crusty bread. It can be frozen as well.

I cook this in a LARGE saucepan on the top of the cooker(usually last us 2-3 days) but it can be done in the pressure cooker or a slow cooker. (mum always did it in pressure cooker)
    We eat about half of the lobby and then add a tin of tomato soup to it for the rest.

The recipe above is what I do but you can alter it to fit any veg you want using up and I suppose you can use lamb as well. Have done it with chicken but didnt like it as much but maybe thats just us.
    Thankyou Billie- Jo, ive never heard of it before but it definately sounds yummy. Thankyou so much for the recipe :D
    SuziQ1962 wrote: »
    I have mine with mashed neeps-swede cooked until soft drained and mashed with butter salt pepper and a little cream,mashed tatties -again with butter salt pepper and a little cream,and a wee dram or some nice red wine to wash it all down,I have veggie haggis and microwave it in a covered dish-works fine for non veggie too and keeps it moist
    Thankyou SuziQ thats pretty much what i do with mine so thats great :)
    Sorry to be a pain but ive had a hunt and I cant find what im looking for anywhere...where abouts will I find all the recipes that fit into slimming world? Ive lost just over 3 stone since June but have about another 3 to go lol and healthy food is always more expensive than crisps/ chocolate etc so some nice cheap and healthy recipes would be really helpful :-)

Well Done Bella that's amazing weight loss :T:T

NSD here today:D
    GC spend Jan so far £165.68/ £160 FEB £189 /£170
    MARCH £0/£170
    Beautiful pictures are formed from dark negatives , so when your having a dark day feel rest assured that a beautiful picture is being prepared for you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure