TV Licensing harassment letters

Options

Comments

• EllenRebecca
    EllenRebecca Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 15 October 2015 at 11:50AM
    Options
    Hi!

Could I please have a copy of your letter you sent to the TV license people so they'd stop harrassing you (and get a tenner? :D). I'm preparing myself just in case the idiots harass me. I have a right to not pay for a service I no longer wish for or use. I don't watch TV as it's being broadcast on TVs, computers, or any other electronic devicse. I only watch DVDs, blu-rays, catch-up on 4oD, and iPlayer.

Ellen
  • flipperni
    Options
    Hi!

Could I please have a copy of your letter you sent to the TV license people so they'd stop harrassing you (and get you a tenner? :D). I'm preparing myself just in case the idiots harass me. I have a right to not pay for a service I no longer wish for or use. I don't watch TV as it's being broadcast on TVs, computers, or any other electronic devicse. I only watch DVDs, blu-rays, catch-up on 4oD, and iPlayer.

Ellen

Go over to this group they will help you.

http://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/forum/
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi!

Could I please have a copy of your letter you sent to the TV license people so they'd stop harrassing you (and get you a tenner? :D). I'm preparing myself just in case the idiots harass me. I have a right to not pay for a service I no longer wish for or use. I don't watch TV as it's being broadcast on TVs, computers, or any other electronic devicse. I only watch DVDs, blu-rays, catch-up on 4oD, and iPlayer.

Ellen

The simplest advice is just to ignore BBC/TVL and all their letters.

If you do want to (try) to get the letters to stop, you can either write a formal complaint using the complaints process shown on their website, or a "cease and desist" letter - you can Google for a standard template for this. If you complain to BBC/TVL you'll need to say things like "I find your letters offensive, threatening and harassing".

If you are a committed legally Licence-free person, then the risks of doing this are small, especially if they already know your name.

Not heard about the "tenner". What's that about?
  • EllenRebecca
    Options
    Just a quick note to say thanks. :-)
  • EllenRebecca
    Options
    Ha ha! I wasn't willing to pay £10 - perhaps worded my message wrong. The person I was writing to said that they retaliated to the TV insurance people and threatened them with a not-so-empty version of their own empty threat. The TV insurance apologized and paid HER £10 compensation.
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    "TV Insurance"? You mean TV Licensing?

TV Licensing have little or no statutory authority to do what they do. That means that you can set them a scale of charges for the work you "have" to do in dealing with them. They have a pot of money set aside to cover goodwill payments to people who do that, and for more general complainants. Personally, I don't know anyone who has received such a payment, and only one case where someone successfully sued them for it.
  • ffox
    ffox Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    John Hales has now been put behind bars.
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    I've now received an initial response from the BBC Trust on the issue of the BBC's legal justification for TV Licensing.

Their official line is that they have a legal justification for it, but they won't disclose what it is to me, and by extension to the British public.
  • Bryando
    Bryando Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    I have had them a few times over the years with a visit only the other month. Opened the door they asked if I was.... I asked who they were before replying and then shut the door on their face.

Was then contacted to confirm I don't watch TV which I just binned. Not obliged in law!
  • mickaveli2001
    Options
    We should simply walk out of the shop where they expect you to hand over your details when buying a TV.

Given that it's Christmas, you could be buying a TV as a gift. Why should you be bombarded by a bunch of devious crooks trying to extort money?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback