Eon Reporting To Equifax

Options

Comments

• jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    Options
    lozzabeth wrote: »
    I know I shouldn't have so readily accepted it, however after spending several days and many wasted hours arguing that is was physically impossible for me to use that amount of electricity unless I was running my own data centre for Livepool City Centre, I finally gave up...

OK, I realise this may be too late for you, but I also post for the benefit of others. A meter, unless successfully challenged for inaccuracy, is proof positive of consumption. Your subjective argument was pointless, you needed to argue on the basis of supply opening and closing readings.

It is a simple process for a householder to do a basic accuracy test. An official test can be demanded on liability for a test fee.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Guys

I am experiencing a nightmare with EON with regards to my credit file at the moment.

I was with EON for my electricity in a city centre apartment from October 2010 to October 2011 and paid them a monthly direct debit of £150.00 per month. Upon request of my final bill I was presented with an outstanding balance of £1,400.00.

I was shocked as there was no way I could have used that much electricty as I lived alone and spent most of my time working away! I attempted to have this investigated, however EON weren't very helpful and insisted the readings were right. In the end I gave up as I didn't have the time to fight this out and agreed to pay them in monthly installments over the following year.

I have not missed any of my monthly payments over the past 10-months, until August 2012, when I went to New Zealand and my bank, Lloyds TSB, froze my account due to suspected fraud. This resulted in a couple of payments being delayed. EON being one.

My other creditors were sympathetic, as EON appeared to be when I called to apologise and make my payment - infact I paid double what was due!

However yesterday I noticed that EON have marked my outstanding balance as a 'Delinquent Balance' on my Equifax Credit Report and marked the September entry as having defaulted SIX times!!

I ran my credit score and it has dropped significantly since August, to the point where this will have a detrimental affect on my ability to obtain credit.

I called EON this morning, however they have to refer this on to the relevant department and apparently someone will contact me with the next 48-hours. Having dealt with EON for many years, I do not expect this to be a painless process by any means. I envisage an up hill struggle and many letters backwards and forwards.

I use EON in my current property and I am due to move again next month, however I will most definitely not be using EON again - enough is enough now.

Hi lozzabeth

Have to admit, I'm not that up on this part of the business, so I've just spoken to someone who is.

Just speculating, but from what you've put, it looks as though the reference to a 'delinquent balance' means the debt is over 6 month sold.

Similarly, the default notice also means the balance has been outstanding for more than six months, not that you've missed six payments. It's the age of the debt this refers to and not missed payments.

Complaints about credit reports are being handled by our Director's Office and I suspect this is where your case has been referred to.

As jalexa says, they'll open a complaint for you from the time you first raised this. If, after 56 days, you're not happy with the proposed resolution you can then go to the Ombudsman.

Sorry this is a bit sketchy but hope it's of some interest.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • lozzabeth
    lozzabeth Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Malc

However if I set-up a payment plan with EON then surely it's not a default or a delinquent balance?

EON have made a fortune off me on this account.

I have never been advised or received any correspondance from EON that states credit reference agencies will be informed and this may affect my credit.

I will contact them again tomorrow if I do not hear back today as I am in the process of applying for a mortgage and this is hindering me.

Do you recommend I put this in writing to EON and do you have the complaints address / Director's Dept please?

Many thanks
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi lozzabeth

Best to deal directly with these guys as they've the knowledge on this particular subject. Writing's fine.

Contact details are on your bills, or you can go through our website by clicking About E.ON/standards of service/complaints reporting.

Alternatively, if you drop an email to the address in my Profile, I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • MK55
    MK55 Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Malc

However if I set-up a payment plan with EON then surely it's not a default or a delinquent balance?

EON have made a fortune off me on this account.

I have never been advised or received any correspondance from EON that states credit reference agencies will be informed and this may affect my credit.

I will contact them again tomorrow if I do not hear back today as I am in the process of applying for a mortgage and this is hindering me.

Do you recommend I put this in writing to EON and do you have the complaints address / Director's Dept please?

Many thanks

by having a quick read, if too owed debt from an 'old' account this would report 1 2 3 4 5 6 on your credit file, as you're running 1 month in arrears, then 2 months and so on. Very similar if you were to pay a credit card off after closing it would show as your in arrears.

Agree with other posts that is far too much usage for 1 year and would have been better to dispute at the time, you'll have now as you cannot measure your previous consumption...:eek::eek:

MK
  • Miss_Ratty
    Miss_Ratty Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh dear, I had a similar issue, in that apparently I accrued 1.8 k in a quarter! In a small two bed flat, which was only occupied from about 7pm to 6am. Eon were dreadful, and even though part of my debt went as my bankruptcy, they chased me for more afterwards. However I got to a point where we were at loggerheads, they just stopped responding and when I checked my credit file they had removed the information on me.

This is not probably helpful but I would recommend that you write, write, write. Ask them to arrange for your meter to be checked. Leave no stone unturned. If you really haven't racked up this amount they will stop chasing eventually. They are dreadful, and I wish you luck. Just keep pressing on, and keep copies and logs of all correspondence. X
  • mcbob_2
    mcbob_2 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Just to confirm, we do share information with the Credit Reference Agency, Equifax.

This is to help us assess credit risk more accurately and keep debt to a minimum.

There's more details on our website in the section 'use of your personal data.'

Yes but why suddenly start to invoke this now? I know this has been a clause for some time, but as per the previous posts, it's the retrospective element of this that is patently unfair.

For me, for an energy company that is not regulated by the FSA, to have access to be able to add what is in effect, quasi defaults to peoples credit files - despite not actually offering "credit" as defined by the CCA, should be outlawed.

Eon should be forced to modify their contracts to be explicit credit agreements, just like credit cards, loans etc, and therefore be subject to the correct regulatory oversight.

As it is, Eon and others are in now operating in grey area, reporting people's payment histories to a EQUIFAX (who are more than happy to accept their new business of course) yet they don't offer credit as per the CCA, and so are not obliged to be FSA regulated.... but still have the power to potentially ruin unsuspecting previous customers credit histories with "defaults".

One rule for Eon, another for the small consumer.

• TrueBlue2012
    Options
    Hi guys

Just to confirm, we do share information with the Credit Reference Agency, Equifax.

This is to help us assess credit risk more accurately and keep debt to a minimum.

There's more details on our website in the section 'use of your personal data.'

Malc

Actually you can't just go and report data about people because you feel like it. I'm issuing injunctive relief orders via eon solicitor with a claim of just over £5000 because they have no right legally or otherwise to suddenly share data.

Oh I will add I've been an eon customer for around 10 years and categorically never signed anything giving my permission to share my data. Their CEO tried to say "we did it on all accounts and the ico said we could" yet I've also got a letter from the ico denying this. The ico state all firms need to notify customers of their intention which was never lol

As such I've refused to pay any bills. A year later and 0115 8434352 rings several times daily adding to my harassment claim.

E-on are the pits. Absolutely dire and Conmen to boot.

Avoid like the plague.
  • TrueBlue2012
    Options
    mcbob wrote: »
    Yes but why suddenly start to invoke this now? I know this has been a clause for some time, but as per the previous posts, it's the retrospective element of this that is patently unfair.

For me, for an energy company that is not regulated by the FSA, to have access to be able to add what is in effect, quasi defaults to peoples credit files - despite not actually offering "credit" as defined by the CCA, should be outlawed.

Eon should be forced to modify their contracts to be explicit credit agreements, just like credit cards, loans etc, and therefore be subject to the correct regulatory oversight.

As it is, Eon and others are in now operating in grey area, reporting people's payment histories to a EQUIFAX (who are more than happy to accept their new business of course) yet they don't offer credit as per the CCA, and so are not obliged to be FSA regulated.... but still have the power to potentially ruin unsuspecting previous customers credit histories with "defaults".

One rule for Eon, another for the small consumer.

Feel free to pm me and make my claim a bigger one - collectively we can stop this abuse. I've been arguing with Julie from the directors office and had her tongue tied because unlike her I know the DPA inside out and a simple "ok please tell me where I signed and where to find the prescribed terms and cancellation notice relevant to this credit agreement under CCA1974". She then back peddles and says its not a credit card. Haha

They need suing. I'm happy to pay it but anyone wanting to make this a class action please pm.
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    Options
    Oh I will add I've been an eon customer for around 10 years and categorically never signed anything giving my permission to share my data.
    How did they obtain your Date of Birth?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure