PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is buying a house a good idea?

Options

Comments

• dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Long term any time is a good time to buy a house just some times are a bit better than others.

Since you sold at the worst time in last 30 years there has only been one really bad time to buy since that was around 2006/7, many of those may sitting on some loss but that is short term, yet to see if this carries on, inflation will sort it out eventually.

This place you sold in 1995(ish) when did you buy it?

Hope it was not 1989/90 window because that means you bought at the top of a peak and sold right at the bottom of a crash.

not for me to say but I think some would find that VERY funny.

I bought in March 2007, and it's worked out OK for me. So even the worst time to buy wasn't as bad as renting (for me at least). Less than £100 pcm for record low mortgage interest, £90k paid off principle ... at a monthly mortgage payment that was lower than rent would be for the same house for the past 10 years, or thereabouts.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 May 2018 at 10:44AM
    Options
    No, I have been saying for TEN years that property is a bubble created by cheap credit, and that situation will change at some point, and that the closer you are to that inflection point with a big property debt, the worse the economic consequences will be for you. Nobody was interested in property prices 20 years ago (except maybe a multiple I.D "poster" who may or may not be on this thread, but was definitely trolling, sorry contributing to, property discussions on the internet 20 years ago (is there a medal for that kind of dedication? Maybe they give you a free Liar Loan?:rotfl:)
    I really don't know why I'm indulging you...

There was a crash 10 years ago. So you started predicting what - another crash? That it would never rise again and keep on crashing? So when it started rising again in (in some areas) around 2013, you did what - denied it saying there would be another crash? What about the next four years in some areas where prices nearly doubled? Still denying?

I think 99% people on this board will say there will of course be another crash in the future. Despite what you think, most of us homeowners don't want prices to stay high. I want my nephew and nieces to be able to afford to buy - something which is looking doubtful right now. My mortgage is relatively tiny so I don't care what prices do.

Okay, so if you have a big mortgage and there's a crash - then what? It's only a problem if you sell. And, even then, I've done okay out of two recessions and sold even when losing or breaking even. Some of the mortgage had been paid off, and I bought houses which I would have otherwise never have afforded which then went on to make substantial gains when the market did eventually pick up.

Of course people were still interested in property prices 20 years ago. I didn't even have a computer at home 20 years ago. MSE and HPC didn't form until 2003.

The 'big property debt' decreases over time. I remember laughing at what I thought was a big mortgage even say 5 years earlier at times. Most salaries increase, plus the debt gets smaller.

One serious question. When will you put your hands up and say 'I was wrong'. Go on, give us a year when you'll admit you were wrong. Or are you seriously going to say in say 8 years' time 'OMG I told you so, been saying it for years' and expect everyone to say 'Crashy, you've been right all along, we should have listened'. As a couple of people on here often cleverly quote, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Sorry OP, I really don't like these thread derailments, but today I felt like biting.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The amount of energy that has been thrown at this thread in just the last 24 hours saying that buying is a great idea is enough to put most people off buying I would have thought :rotfl:I really think that most people have woken up to the fact that when interest rates rise it is game over TBH.
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    The amount of energy that has been thrown at this thread in just the last 24 hours saying that buying is a great idea is enough to put most people off buying I would have thought :rotfl:I really think that most people have woken up to the fact that when interest rates rise it is game over TBH.

Nope I think the fact you think its some sort of game sums it up really, people buy houses generally to live in...

Come on your have been saying for 10yrs that housing is a bubble, how much have you spent in rent in the last 10yrs and how much have you missed out on house price increases? Ad those two together and thats gunna be some hefty price, we will not see those sort of price crash, do you need a 100% price crash yet... Thats why in the long term rather than trying to "play the game", you are better off buying as its the less risky thing to do.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options

Nobody in the last 24 hours has said buying now is a particularly great idea. You have sworn blind it isn't and other people have said they don't know what will happen. You don't learn, do you.

Nobody is more dogmatic, more insistent, more convinced....or more historically and provably wrong...than you.
  • cashbackproblems
    cashbackproblems Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    Options
    i bought 18 months back, but prices are so high you really are buying at the top luckily i got good deal and did it up myself. This forum are a bit deluded and do not consider the dangers of borrowing x5/6 salary, higher rates due and lack of savings for cushion before buying
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    i bought 18 months back, but prices are so high you really are buying at the top luckily i got good deal and did it up myself. This forum are a bit deluded and do not consider the dangers of borrowing x5/6 salary, higher rates due and lack of savings for cushion before buying

I would NEVER advise borrowing more than ×4 salary (preferably joint)!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    I would NEVER advise borrowing more than ×4 salary (preferably joint)!

If banks and the general public had followed that rule the bubble would never have happened.
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    If banks and the general public had followed that rule the bubble would never have happened.

But thats been the case for the last 10yrs yet house prices have continued to rise, we need to build more houses or/and reduce the population increase.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    But thats been the case for the last 10yrs yet house prices have continued to rise, we need to build more houses or/and reduce the population increase.

As prices rise though, more and more people struggle to sell, so the demand isn`t really there at higher prices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure