PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is buying a house a good idea?

Options
1272829303133»

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Meanwhile you've been paying rent for 22 years that you will never get back and you're no nearer owning the roof over your head than you were in 1996.

A lifetime of renting, Crashy. All in hopes of the crash that never came, that you wouldn't spot if it did and that wouldn't get you out of your hole if it did.

On your gravestone it's say "Here lies Crashy. He rented for 50 years waiting for a crash. Has it crashed yet? Just you wait till interest rates go up..."

There was also a period of free accommodation attached to a job, did you crunch that in your calcs? :rotfl:Renting suits some people, just get over it, I actually owned a house in 1996, the problem was that I lived 200 miles away :T not everyone wants to stay in the same spot for 50 years nowadays :) No matter how many breakdowns of the supposed costs involved you post the fact stands - less and less people are interested in property at bubble prices, and paying bubble prices now is going to get you in trouble if rates rise. Rent is just a cost that is part of a hopefully diversified investment plan and diversified streams of income, relying on a house as a "savings" fund is very very risky now IMO, and it always amazes me the amount of energy posters like you, supposedly happy in your house owning bliss spend chasing people around the internet who say that it is a bubble pure and simple :)
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This thread reminds me of that Bill Murray movie. (prize for the first person who figures it out).
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • eidand
    eidand Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    Options
    its funny talking about rates that might rise, we had a decade of low rates, the time to buy something was during all this time and you can still secure a long term deal, for a low interest ... just saying
  • 51mm5
    51mm5 Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 May 2018 at 6:24PM
    Options
    Crashy is the Internet equivalent of those people who walk around the streets with sandwich boards saying the end is nigh. It!!!8217;s cannot be good for health waiting all these years for a crash that has not happened and posting thousands of posts saying the same things on repeat.
  • tom9980
    tom9980 Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've helped Parliament
    Options
    There was also a period of free accommodation attached to a job, did you crunch that in your calcs? :rotfl:Renting suits some people, just get over it, I actually owned a house in 1996, the problem was that I lived 200 miles away :T not everyone wants to stay in the same spot for 50 years nowadays :) No matter how many breakdowns of the supposed costs involved you post the fact stands - less and less people are interested in property at bubble prices, and paying bubble prices now is going to get you in trouble if rates rise. Rent is just a cost that is part of a hopefully diversified investment plan and diversified streams of income, relying on a house as a "savings" fund is very very risky now IMO, and it always amazes me the amount of energy posters like you, supposedly happy in your house owning bliss spend chasing people around the internet who say that it is a bubble pure and simple :)

You were basically being paid less in salary and given accommodation for free with that job so you were paying for it with a lower salary. Naturally you will come back and tell us that isnt true.
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    tom9980 wrote: »
    You were basically being paid less in salary and given accommodation for free with that job so you were paying for it with a lower salary. Naturally you will come back and tell us that isnt true.

How do you know this? :rotfl:
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    51mm5 wrote: »
    Crashy is the Internet equivalent of those people who walk around the streets with sandwich boards saying the end is nigh. It!!!8217;s cannot be good for health waiting all these years for a crash that has not happened and posting thousands of posts saying the same things on repeat.

The only difference is that the MSM don`t tend to be trumpeting the same message as the guys with the sandwich boards :rotfl: Dread to think what the health of the Price Police is like, trolling all those posts day after day :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure