Igloo Energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Options
    I moved my elderly Dad to Igloo energy having read the details and reviews in the Energy club on this site.

My dad became a customer on 3rd August 2018 ie less than 3 months ago. Since then Igloo have hiked up his tariff twice by a total 23.3%.

When I rang igloo to discuss and explain that this is an elderly man who can't afford an additional£40 a month they advised me to move energy supplier!

Igloo did email me web links to look at and suggested I went with one of the big 6 energy supplier so on that level they were helpful.

However this does not take away from the upset and that changing again - when we switched to Igloo in good faith - and that ths is a lot of hassle for an elderly man who can no longer do things like take a meter reading for a new supplier.

Overall, I definitely cannot recommend a company which twice hikes their prices in 10 weeks and by over 23%.
    all customers have to read their meters, or get someone to do it.
    I understand your anger, but, as I am looking to switch, and am no spring chicken,and still with one of the big six,did you do the comparison for him and help with the switch ?
    If so, did you not wonder why igloo were so cheap , and likely to rise?
    It is a variable rate company, perhaps a fixed tariff would have been better for him, and avoided the 23% rise, for a while , but only until the fix ends, then it will still rise ?
    Is the new price still competitive to the rest ?
    Hope you get your dad sorted, switching, as you say, is not all it is cracked up to be, especially if you don’t do your homework first.
    The big six are not always the demons that they are painted .
  • gwapenut
    gwapenut Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's some constructive feedback from Sarah.

Part of me thinks, if cost is important, a variable tariff is not the right choice. But the outer part of me thinks that 23% in 3 months is not the kind of rise I'd be expecting to guard against. I was lucky that the first rise occurred the week after I applied to switch and so I cancelled my switch
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 January 2019 at 5:57PM
    Options
    Mechajin wrote: »
    The switch seemed to go smoothly.

Unfortunately I moved in to a new property and went on holidays for 10 days shortly after. The switch happened then and I couldn't provide accurate meter readings so they estimated.
    They estimated wrongly by a large margin which means that my interim bill from British Gas from the move in is too high. British Gas cannot fix this and has to be instigated from igloo and raise an industry dispute which Igloo is refusing to do as they say the threshold of 250kwh has not been met for them do anything.

This is a lie and I have photographic proof of the meter readings from when I moved in.

Furthermore since switching my bill has increased twice within a very short period.

Smells like a start up that's falling apart. They just did an investment seeding round trying to raise money yet can't get the basics right. Avoid!

What is a lie? :huh:

It is correct that there needs to be at least 250kWh in an electricity meter for a dispute to be raised. Afterall, what you pay one supplier, you don't pay the other, so the difference in cost of anything less than 250kWh is going to be minimal.

Your issues, which I would suggest are mainly home grown, are not specifically with Igloo - the rules apply across the whole industry.

Why has the supplier increased your bill? Have you used more?
    Or has the tariff increased?
    All suppliers charge you according to what you consume according to your tariff in force at the time.
  • Brewer20
    Brewer20 Posts: 395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can't understand going by some posts why Igloo have put their prices up? The company said it regrets putting the price up and that would happen in Sept 18 and by 5.8%. I joined them in June 18 and they haven't put my price up once. I see above someone has had theirs put up twice amounting to 23% rise, how can this be?
    Is it a case of they are using more than their DD covers therefore the rise/increase in monthly payment? My Igloo account shows currently I'm £65 in credit and have never been asked to increase the payment over winter, they usually do I believe. I seem to be managing my usage well, how have others fared with Igloo and price changes?
  • stephenS
    stephenS Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I joined Igloo in January after receiving a commitment they’d supply me with a new generation smart meter, [ SMETS2] when they became available. Initially this was going to be February/March, but was delayed until April, apparently through no fault of Igloo’s. I already had a 1st generation smart meter [a SMETS1] provided by another supplier, and was aware it would lose its smart functionality if I moved to another supplier. At the time, it appeared this would only be for a short period and went ahead with the move to Igloo.

In mid-April, I contacted Igloo to see if their smart meter rollout was still on course, only to be told they wouldn’t supply me with a new smart meter. I was told this was because of a new regulation which financially penalised suppliers if they replaced older meters with the newer ones. After being given further misinformation, it turned out the regulation was in force when I joined Igloo in January. They could, and should have been aware of this regulation, instead of misleading and deceiving me for four months. Eventually, SMETS1 meters will be upgraded to have the same functionality as the newer ones, but this could be many months away. In the mean time, thanks to Igloo, I’m now stuck with a dumb meter for an unknown period of time.

Igloo have offered me a paltry amount of compensation for the hassle and inconvenience they’ve caused me, which I’ve declined. I know Igloo have not deliberately misled me, but they just come over as amateurish and ill-informed. I just want to be free of them, and am moving to a new supplier.
  • Igloo_Energy
    Igloo_Energy Posts: 11 Organisation Representative
    Options
    stephenS wrote: »
    I joined Igloo in January after receiving a commitment they’d supply me with a new generation smart meter, [ SMETS2] when they became available. Initially this was going to be February/March, but was delayed until April, apparently through no fault of Igloo’s. I already had a 1st generation smart meter [a SMETS1] provided by another supplier, and was aware it would lose its smart functionality if I moved to another supplier. At the time, it appeared this would only be for a short period and went ahead with the move to Igloo.

In mid-April, I contacted Igloo to see if their smart meter rollout was still on course, only to be told they wouldn’t supply me with a new smart meter. I was told this was because of a new regulation which financially penalised suppliers if they replaced older meters with the newer ones. After being given further misinformation, it turned out the regulation was in force when I joined Igloo in January. They could, and should have been aware of this regulation, instead of misleading and deceiving me for four months. Eventually, SMETS1 meters will be upgraded to have the same functionality as the newer ones, but this could be many months away. In the mean time, thanks to Igloo, I’m now stuck with a dumb meter for an unknown period of time.

Igloo have offered me a paltry amount of compensation for the hassle and inconvenience they’ve caused me, which I’ve declined. I know Igloo have not deliberately misled me, but they just come over as amateurish and ill-informed. I just want to be free of them, and am moving to a new supplier.

Hi Stephen,

As you know our Customer Care team have been in touch with you regarding this, and we're hopeful we can reach a resolution with you.

We're grateful for your honest feedback which we will ensure is taken on board to learn about for the future. The delay in beginning our roll-out of SMETS2 was due to industry wide delays, and was related to the final testing stages of this newest smart meter technology.

We understand that the messages delivered to you could have been clearer surrounding this and we have used your concerns to address our training and communications surrounding smart meter upgrades.

We're sorry that this situation has driven you to switch supplier and we wish you all the best in the future, if there is anything we can still help with, then don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Igloo. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • stephenS
    Options
    Despite Igloo’s claim they are still in touch with me and trying reach a resolution, I haven’t heard from them for nearly 3 weeks, so more incompetence or deliberate deception.

Igloo seems to have lost sight of the reason for my dispute with them. It’s nothing to do with staff training, unclear messages or industry related delays. Right from the time I joined Igloo, I made it clear that I had a SMETS1 meter and I wanted it to be replaced with a SMETS2. I joined Igloo on the understanding I’d be supplied with a SMETS2 when they became available. The crux of my dispute with Igloo is that they reneged on that commitment, and for that reason I believe Igloo to be untrustworthy.

As of yesterday, I moved to my new supplier, Bulb, and can now put the last farcical four months with Igloo, behind me.
  • Igloo_Energy
    Igloo_Energy Posts: 11 Organisation Representative
    edited 15 May 2019 at 5:16PM
    Options
    Despite Igloo’s claim they are still in touch with me and trying reach a resolution, I haven’t heard from them for nearly 3 weeks, so more incompetence or deliberate deception.

Igloo seems to have lost sight of the reason for my dispute with them. It’s nothing to do with staff training, unclear messages or industry related delays. Right from the time I joined Igloo, I made it clear that I had a SMETS1 meter and I wanted it to be replaced with a SMETS2. I joined Igloo on the understanding I’d be supplied with a SMETS2 when they became available. The crux of my dispute with Igloo is that they reneged on that commitment, and for that reason I believe Igloo to be untrustworthy.

As of yesterday, I moved to my new supplier, Bulb, and can now put the last farcical four months with Igloo, behind me.

Hi Stephen,

I have spoken with our customer care team and they've let me know that they've responded to you privately regarding your issue.

We're sorry if you didn't receive our correspondence we've sent to you previously, we had sent you a letter at the beginning of this month, and we have just re-sent this to you now for your records.

We wish you luck with your new supplier, and if you do have any more questions, just let us know.

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Igloo. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Their app seems pretty easy to use.
    Plus interest on credit?
    And they're cheaper than my current supplier.

I might as well switch!
  • Benight
    Benight Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Post
    Options

Have you got your SMET2 meters from your new supplier yet?

One month on, and hopefully your switch has now been completed, I think I just read on this site that Bulb haven't yet started installing them. :cool:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback