Options
1235»

Comments

• tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Martyn_H wrote: »
    It means nothing of the sort. The postie has to obtain a signature from someone at that address, not necessarily the addressee. The service has been called 'Signed For' for several years now and is only next working day delivery if first class postage has been paid. Unlike Royal Mail Special Delivery, which is segregated, Signed For travels with all the other mail.

(Retired Royal Mail employee).

All DWP mail is sent to a MOU - a mail opening unit, ran by a third party on behalf of the DWP.

All mail is sent to Wolverhampton or Kiddiminster MOU and then scanned on DRS and allocated to the relevant section.

All the proof/signature means is, the MOU has received. It doesn't mean it has been opened or read by a member of DWP staff. In fact mail can then take a further 10 days from this point to actually being seen in the relevant section.

The only way to ensure an actual DWP member of staff see's it, is to hand it into your local jobcentre and good luck with that.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 January 2020 at 11:07PM
    Options
    More information on DWP post handling here https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/267631/response/658881/attach/html/3/FOI%201946%20Response%20010615.pdf.html
    Although this is from 2015 I assume the process is fundamentally unchanged.

Key sentence is “Decision Makers should use the scanning date as the date of receipt of an item of mail.” This is why current reported delays between mail being physically received at sorting centres and being scanned is so potentially damaging to claimants.

Found a later response here https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/369068/response/921539/attach/html/3/Reply%20Letter%204207%20final.pdf.html

Note that this confirms “The mail opening, preparation, scanning and indexing of scanned images is undertaken by suppliers on behalf of DWP. They provide a managed service to DWP.” It obviously follows that any signature obtained at the mail centre is not provided by a DWP employee.

As an aside I have come across a situation where DWP had no record of receiving a document but had a blank document in the client records which fitted the timeline. We concluded that probably the scanning centre had put the one sided document through the scanner wrong side up!
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Martyn_H
    Martyn_H Posts: 481 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Nope absolutely not! and i'm not bias either, i'm stating well known facts. So you're telling me that when it's signed for before 6am this is someone from DWP?? Of course it is lol

The MOU is authorised to open mail on behalf of the DWP. Postal employees tampering with mail is confined to a tiny minority, but don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,049 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Martyn_H wrote: »
    The MOU is authorised to open mail on behalf of the DWP. Postal employees tampering with mail is confined to a tiny minority, but don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.
    despite others verifying what i've stated is correct, you still manage to return to the thread 2 weeks later to have another dig.... YAWN. :T
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I was getting update emails haha.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills