Royal Mail Dispute

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    my honest thinking is that the ballot will be deemed invalid on tuesday in the courts due to some who had early access to their ballot papers, it is common practice for people to retrieve their mail if they choose to, i mean, if they have a parcel due the postman delivering it will know he's not at home so makes sence to give it them, but technically they must get permission 1st, and most never do,
    i don't work in the office that delivers my post so never have had to ask,

as for people being pressured into voting yes, i don't believe this for 1 minute, our reps asked for a yes vote but that's their job to,

i do think morally the ballot result should stand,
    97% yes with a 76% turnout is massive but RM have the legal eagles to pick things out,
    but consider this, postal workers are in an extremely trusted position with what we handle, yes there are always going to be a bad egg in the box but the ballot was done in good faith, unfortunately this will probably be quashed and start again

next month will be manic, strikes on not, we usually cannot cope well with a general election or xmas, but the 2 together?
    Re the bit in bold:

Is that allowed?
    Or is it against RM rules? Without the permission of RM management?
    Did they have permission from RM management to retrieve their mail from the Sorting Office?
    What is common practice and what is not allowed are 2 very different things.

If they didn't follow the rules, these postmen have handed RM management the means to have the ballot ruled invalid - on a plate - by not just having 'early access to their ballot papers' but by actually filming it happening.
    That seems beyond stupid to me.
    Not to mention the potential for disciplinary action against them.

I'm not disputing the service that I personally receive from RM so you don't need to tell me about the 'trusted position' postmen hold.
    I do have personal experience of RM management within Sorting Offices and also experience of RM unions.
  • tomdickharry
    Options
    Altarf wrote: »
    Not good to admit that many Royal Mail staff break the security rules, which are in place for very good reasons.

and this i agree with you here, which is why we will lose on tuesday
  • Pollycat
    Options
    and this i agree with you here, which is why we will lose on tuesday
    And you deserve to lose - because of the stupidity of a very, very small number of employees.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    where did i ask for sympathy?

i definitely don't want any, i was merely trying to explain the situation we are in,
    we are all working class people trying to stop the greed of the rmg ruining a once great job and potentially putting 1000s out of work or into jobs without the current t&c we have

Of course you want to keep a job that is well paid with good terms and conditions.

However you are trying to keep alive a business and method of working that is no longer relevant to the vast majority of the population.

When was the last time I had Royal Mail deliver me anything I actually cared about? I can't remember.

Any goods I order simply get delivered by Amazon to their local locker, or DPD etc.
    they can get their own mail, but only after getting permission off a manager
    and due to past disputes it's common knowledge that rm's legal team are a lot smarter than theirs

If the CWU's lawyers are rubbish, then the CWU membership ought to be asking why their union doesn't spend their membership fees on better lawyers!

Since it was clear a challenge would be made (you only have to look at similar challenges for rail strikes), combined with the fact that the local union officials must have know that their colleagues routinely broke the security rules, then it was obvious what the challenge would be.

You wouldn't have needed high priced lawyers to counter it, just simply local union officials telling their colleagues to obey the rules!
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    However you are trying to keep alive a business and method of working that is no longer relevant to the vast majority of the population.

Do you have anything to back up your opinion that RM are irrelevant to the majority of the UK population?
    I send and receive an awful lot of mail via RM, as do all of my family.
    I also know a great many people who still send postal letters and I'm sure that I'm far from alone in this.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My local postman is friendly, helpful and efficient but IMO delivery of post will have to undergo considerable changes in the years to come because so many things are no longer posted. I guess the parcel side will prosper as more do internet shopping and RM seem more reliable in their delivery than some other companies but I also see the universal obligation to deliver letters etc every day going. I've switched as much as I can online. Of course there are those that still rely on posted mail and that won't die away overnight but I suspect the postcard industry is in terminal decline, fewer people send letters and our Xmas card list now contains about 15% who send them electronically. Magazines are also moving online. None of this bodes well for the future of RM and a bolshie work force will make it all happen quicker.
    As for the threatened action itself it is hard to have sympathy with the union or its members if they don't do things properly.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    When was the last time I had Royal Mail deliver me anything I actually cared about? I can't remember.
    But that's just you - which doesn't mean it's the same for everybody.
    Do you have anything to back up your opinion that RM are irrelevant to the majority of the UK population?
    I also know a great many people who still send postal letters and I'm sure that I'm far from alone in this.
    Me too.
    I have received 3 parcels via RM this past week, I'm expecting another one towards the middle of the week.

I have 3 parcels to post tomorrow - all going RM.

We do get some unwanted mail - various charities etc - but we also receive a lot of letters that we do care about.

As I've already said above and here:
    Pollycat wrote: »
    <<snip>>

Of the 4 listed above, Royal Mail is my courier of choice - both for receiving and posting items.

If I miss a delivery, I can pop to the local sorting office to pick it up instead of having to faff about rearranging delivery with the courier.
    I know I won't be waiting in until 8 or 9pm for my parcel like I might be with Yodel.
    I've posted a fair number of parcels with Royal Mail in the last year - not far off 200, all to different addresses - and none have gone missing.
    And none of my orders have gone missing either.
    I prefer RM.

When we had bad snow, I was amazed that our postie still delivered.

I just think some RM employees have shot themselves (and unfortunately their colleagues too) in the foot by their actions described by Altarf and confirmed by the OP..
  • Altarf
    edited 10 November 2019 at 12:29PM
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I have received 3 parcels via RM this past week, I'm expecting another one towards the middle of the week.

RM is useless for parcel delivery for me (and most of the working population) as all that happens is a 'collect at the sorting office' card is left.

The problem is the lazy !!!!!! at the sorting office are open from 8 to 12 Monday to Saturday and the vast majority of the town is on the 7am train to London so it will be a week before you get your parcel.

https://www.ft.com/content/65bc99ec-2394-11e9-8ce6-5db4543da632

The UK postal operator reported an 8 per cent decline in letter volumes in the nine months to December 23 (2018)

To repeat, an 8 percent decline in nine months!

What on earth do you send? If I ever sell anything on eBay it is rare that RM is the cheapest method, but even when it is and I do use them it turns out to be free because the numpty postman doesn't get a signature and they have to refund the full cost.

And you know "a great many people who still send postal letters"? Really? I suspect that says more about your age than the people you know.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options

They delivered my important hospital appointment letter last week...
  • Altarf
    edited 10 November 2019 at 12:36PM
    Options
    They delivered my important hospital appointment letter last week...

My appointment was a phone call followed by a text. And then when I needed to re-arrange done via the website.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure