Battery Electric Vehicle News / Enjoying the Transportation Revolution

Options

Comments

• GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    Options
    Yet another way to think about it too

If you install solar panels do you save only 190grams/kWh emmissions because the UK grid is 190g average 2019?

Or as I am saying 407grams/kWh??

It's the 407g figure because the solar is displacing all gas, not nuclear not wind not other solar
  • GreatApe
    Options
    JKenH wrote: »
    No, the figures as a comparison of charging at different times of day are correct based on the wide held assumption that BEVs are charged from core generation. You don’t agree with that and neither do I but, in so far as they go and what they demonstrate, they are correct.

You should read my posts more carefully. I have been arguing that the appropriate basis for the calculation should be marginal generation emissions not average but I don’t have the figures for marginal only average. You could, though, if you wanted to spend the time, make a reasonable estimate from the data in the link I provided as the split between the various generation sources is given.

The marginal emmissions are 380grams recorded at the power station
    About 407 grams at your home

This is true for about 98% of hours when CCGTs are ramping up/down to balance supply
    About 2% of the time is 0 grams at your home this is when the wind turbines are being turned on/off to balance supply
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JKenH:
    This is the point I was making. GA makes a valid argument and so do you. I entirely understand your point that all generation can be considered marginal. I recall making a similar comment to GA about switching a kettle on earlier in the thread
    Agreed. 2 different ways of looking at it, but GA seems to think I'm wrong and there's no such thing as renewable energy on the grid, taking the strain off the power plants. He seems to believe all EV drivers are always using that little marginal bit at the top!
    Pass on actual figures
    Fair enough, you're thinking for yourself. I think everyone, should count all of their electric use as:
    x% nuclear
    x% gas
    x% coal
    x% renewable.

I'll not bother with figures to argue over, it's about principle. I would also argue that if someone installs solar panels on their roof, they get to count that as 'their' generation, and if they don't literally get to consume that light energy, they can at least offset it against their use.
    Now, I have bought an EV, let’s say I manage to put 10kwh into the car on a sunny day. That is 10kwh that doesn’t get exported to the grid and so 10kwh more has to be generated by the grid to meet that shortfall. How dirty that 10kwh is will depend on the mix of the grid that day. So the marginal CO2 generated as a result of me putting 10kwh of energy into my car is not the zero CO2 it would be from my solar but the CO2 from the extra generation the grid has to produce.
    Fair enough, and understood. But this is saying that if you didn't charge (and therefore use) your car, there would be fewer emmissions. Take another step, and consider that if you hadn't installed solar panels, there would be more emmissions. So, again, my NET argument. Do you drive more kWh, or produce more kWh? If you give the grid back 100kWh, and use 100kWh, your driving is NET Zero. I'm ignoring home consumption, that gets accounted like the rest of us chumps, from the grid!
    I hope that makes my own viewpoint a bit clearer
    Absolutely. Taking the (often made up!) numbers out seems to have help sort out the theories.

GreatApe:
    It gets this 106g across the range
    106g, driving along a motorway, with no regen? The battery will empty, you'll be on pure ICE and consumption will go up. That's what the 2.5m/kWh is that we're talking about. What's your source?
    I accept your 75g and 3.7m/kWh
    Excellent. 75g came from your figures, with adjustments from me, 3.8 was mine from one car, 3.7 from the other.
    The other oster here said 87% he had a meter on his wall so let's go with 87% if you like
    87% it is.
    Wait....is your 3.7m/kWh behind the charger?
    Yes, it's as reported by the car. You'll find it very difficult to read the meters of all the public chargers!
    So the PV saves emissions of CO2
    There you go, easy, wasn't it?!
    To say the PV charges the car and lowers the cars emmissions makes as much sense as me saying the apple tree I planted last year lowers my diesel cars emmissions.
    It does offset it a certain amount, and in a much less direct way. Do you think offset is a dirty word? I mean, I know it's become a bit of a marketing buzzword (or did), but it's still a real thing, is it not?!
    Whatever the solar panels do are allocated to the solar panels not the car
    OK, but I want to assign it to the person. People install solar panels, use electric in their homes and cars. If you asign what the solar panels do to the person, and that person also drives an EV, can you bring yourself to do the offsetting? If that person's solar panels generate the same about as that person uses in their EV, including all your precious losses, can they call their car 'net Zero emmissions'? I say yes.

Kernel Sanders
    I get this, because the PV can't be offsetting carbon elsewhere on the Grid if it's charging the car.
    But you're adding on the car on top of the grid. It's part of the grid. And the solar panels will spend less time charging the car, than not. It's false accounting. The consumer has added:
    1. Solar panels
    2. an EV
    To the grid. One gives, one takes away. What the point you make above does, is hand over the solar panel to the power companies, grid production, stealing that production from the consumer, whilst still burdening him with the electric he puts into the EV.
    I'm not sure if I'm being clear, but what about this - there's a high proportion of people with solar panels, that also have EVs. This is not coincidence, they go well together. If they didn't have EVs, they might not also have solar. Our grid would be less clean as a result, would it not?

Great Ape:
    then I'd say you can argue the combo of the two offset each other
    Err, that's what I've been saying?!!
    Another example of why 'my solar panels charge my car so it's zero Emissions isn't quite the full picture
    I think it's very much 'good enough'!

Kernel Sanders:
    No, they aren't higher, they are still neutral because in your scenario, that solar on the roof is cancelling out the electrical demands of the EV. You appear have duplicated the effects of the EV's disablement.
    YES! He's double counting all over the place in favour of his argument.

Martyn:
    Another beauty of BEV's is that they will mostly be charged at night, when wind generation is higher, and the CO2 intensity of the grid is lower.

And their ability to absorb RE excess through smart charging in the future will allow a higher penetration of RE generation to be rolled out onto the grid - which in turn means less FF generation for all leccy supply, not just BEV's, so they are actually an integral part of the RE solution too.
    This is 'good case' thinking, whereas Great Ape is sticking with 'creative worst case' thinking with regards to EVs.

JKenH:
    Careful now...
    The argument was whether [STRIKE]BEVs[/STRIKE] ANY DEVICE PLUGGED IN use marginal generation or core generation
    I agree on the whole BEVs should use less CO2 than ICEs although the saving will vary depending on the CO2 of the grid when used to charge them
    Even GA's figures show that they already are! And my point is they'll only get cleaner, along with the grid.

You're paying attention to the peaks and troughs in demand. If everyone did this and took action, the UK would be a happier electric place. Well done. This is why industry pays varying amounts for electricity, and why the smart grid and maybe V2G, is coming.

EVandPV:
    The vast majority of ev drivers will of course be on an ev tariff like Octopus Go.
    I would love to be, but in NI our Electricty market is different.
  • EVandPV
    EVandPV Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    I would also argue that if someone installs solar panels on their roof, they get to count that as 'their' generation, and if they don't literally get to consume that light energy, they can at least offset it against their use.

If your not importing or exporting anything, where else can your generation be going other than your car/house ?
    So of course your literally consuming the generation.
    Can't believe we're even having this conversation. :wall:
    Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Let's say at the beginning it is 50 units supplied by wind 50 units supplied by gas
    Well we can't just throw more wind on the grid but we can throw more gas in a turbine.

That's fine. So when we look at out big average figures for the year, we've just reduced the % renewables a bit. You're talking like it doesn't get counted, it DOES!
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 December 2019 at 5:18PM
    Options
    EricMears wrote: »
    Why does charging at a different time of day alter the gms of CO2 per mile ? Agree that if most (or all) of the charging was using your own solar power, CO2 gms/mile would drop considerably (or even vanish) but if it's all imported power, the CO2 gms/kWh should be the same - unless of course you have access to the % renewables at different times of day.

What Ken said, plus there's also the issue of exceeding gas generation capacity at some times, the most obvious being winter peak demand (around 4-8pm*), which is when we can expect more coal generation to be running (I think oil is negligible now), or even diesel peaker farms in extreme situations, so avoiding charging BEV's (or any large energy consumption) at that time, also avoids pushing up the CO2 intensity too.

Good news is that peak demand typically means peak carbon intensity and peak price, so all three can be addressed at the same time ...... and a great solution is V2G ..... if you're allowed to play. :(

Sorry to bore any/all of you, but the potential of V2G to help balance out high to 100% RE on an intraday basis is staggering. Loads of promising news, especially if RE, storage, and BEV's, which individually are great, get even greater when combined. And of course V2H, and the BEV impact on stationary storage too as they are pushing up supply/demand massively, and we are seeing the resultant price drop. [Or to be more precise, the cost drop, as prices still reflect the fact that supply can't meet demand, boo!]

Happy rant over. :D

*Edit - Technically, or pedantically, the evening peak was actually about 15yrs ago, and I mention this as sometimes energy efficiency gets forgotten in all the noise, so 'negawatts' the energy we don't use at all is always worth squeezing in. The big reductions mainly come from efficient lighting, TV's, and compressors (fridges/freezers).

Running with this theme, and linking back to BEV's and RE, if we look at the gross energy consumption of the UK, it's terrifying, but when we note that the energy consumed is based on the gross input (not what is extracted), such as all the energy in a barrel of oil, not the amount that the ICE engine actually puts into movement, or the energy in gas or coal burnt for leccy (at around 40-50% efficiency), we see that what we need to generate from RE is far less than what we need to extract from the ground in gross FF's.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1,000mph charging rates have arrived in the UK for those lucky enough to own a suitable car ..... and no I'm not bitter and twisted!!!

Tesla now has 500 Supercharger stations in Europe as V3 Supercharger roll-out gets underway
    Tesla has opened its 500th Supercharger station in Europe, located in London's Park Royal, but also marking the start of the more powerful V3 Supercharger deployment in Europe.

The latest Superchargers are located at Tesla's Park Royal service station and will see eight V3 Superchargers located alongside eight V2 Superchargers. The newer and more powerful Superchargers have the advantage of offering 250kW peak charging rates, meaning that Tesla owners will be able to charge their cars faster.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • GreatApe
    edited 20 December 2019 at 5:46PM
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    That's fine. So when we look at out big average figures for the year, we've just reduced the % renewables a bit. You're talking like it doesn't get counted, it DOES!

Yes absolutely correct and we actually agree
    If you use an EV the average emmissions of the grid increase

If you take two different earth's.
    One where you use an EV for 10,000 miles that year
    And one where you decide to walk everywhere for that year

The EV earth has higher emmissions

You can calculate it in three ways
    1: You can wait until the end of the year and measure all the additional Co2
    2: You can look at the additional units of energy used by the BEV and multiply by average emmissions. Then also look at the increase in average emmissions and multiply by total electricity consumption
    3: you can look at marginal emmissions for plugging in the EV and not mess around with the fact that with the EV on the grid the grid gets more polluting per unit

All three will give you the same answer
    #1 isn't possible we don't have co2 meters on all power stations
    #2 is fine but is a more complicated calculation
    #3 gives the same result as #1 but is mathematically easier to do

So all this discussion and we come back to my very original proposition
    That #1 or #2 or #3 is the same but use #3 to understand and calculate it

The mistake many make I think including you was not to realise that they were using an incorrect version of #2 they were looking at average grid emmissions without taking into account their BEVs not only do that but also increase grid emmissions per unit
  • GreatApe
    edited 20 December 2019 at 6:01PM
    Options
    Take an extreme example let's say the UK grid is 0 grams / kWh right now
    Let's add a 10KW BEV to charge up for an hour
    What is the emmissions? Zero?
    Well certainly not because a 10KW of CCGT was fired up to supply that energy

What happened to grid emmissions?
    Let's pretend the grid is 40GW of zero emmissions before we plug the car in.
    Now it's 40GW of zero emmissions plus 10KW of CCGT

Grid CO2 increased from 0grams to 0.000095 grams/KWh

Total emmissions are now 0.000094575 grams X 40,000,010 units used = 3783 grams

Total emmissions are 3783 grams
    Is the car responsible for this?
    If the car hadn't been Plugged in it would have been 0 grams

The answer is yes the car is responsible for this 3,783 grams or 378.3 grams per kWh
    What is the emmissions from CCGTs at a power station? 378.3 grams/kWh
    The two match exactly
    Because as I keep saying BEVs are responsible for marginal emmissions not average emmissions (unless you take into account that plugging them in increases grid emmissions per kWh too)

This should clear it up for everyone if you can follow basic math
    Where people go wrong is assume there is no increase in grid emmissions if they plug in their BEVs
    But there is, in this example by 0.00009475 grams/kWh
  • GreatApe
    Options
    In a smaller scale example
    Let's say you live off grid and have solar and a petrol generator

The solar is 4KW and it's powering 4KW perfect sunny day and the home is using exactly 4KW
    Happy days

Let's say you plug in your BEV and it pulls 4KW too so what happens over the next hour?
    Well the petrol generator kicks in to supply 4KW for an hour

The power into the home is 4KW solar 4KW petrol generator

So is the car charging at 50% solar 50% petrol?
    What are the emmissions you allocate to the car?

I'd say you should view the car as 100% filled up by the generator

There are three ways to look at this

1: assume the car is 100% solar because the moment you plug in your grid is 100% solar. Ignore the fact that plugging in means a moment after that the grid goes to 50% fossil fuels. This happens on the large grid too only the increase is so small you can't notice it if you don't look enough decemal places

2: say the petrol generator is charging the car and allocate 4KWh of petrol emmissions from the petrol generator to the car charge. This is what I'm suggesting and is easy to calculate and do

3: do the full sums. Say the car charges up 4KWh half solar half petrol so 2KWh was petrol
    But the car also made this grid more polluting so the house which would have been 4KWh sola ris now 2KWh solar 2KWh petrol. So in total 4KWh was produced by the petrol generator

#1 is just wrong and is the Marty School of thinking
    #2 & #3 both lead to the same number of emmissions
    Only #3 just takes more brain power and calculations it's easy to do in this example but more difficult on larger grids where you have to use many decemal points to calculate it correctly

This should clear it up
    I wonder if Marty and co will stop think and thank me for pointing this out
    No they will claim they always knew this was the case and I was too foolish to understand
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback