Forum Announcement

Options

Comments

• quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ooh! Does this mean there will be the function to jump to the first unread posts in a thread? :D

Not sure which MSE world you are frequenting BUT this already exists - been doing it for as long as I can remember being a member (over 15 years)
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • Morbier
    Morbier Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MimiJane wrote: »
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ensure we can still access the "old-style" forum! I'm too old and stupid to start learning from scratch ...

I'm not sure I'd agree with being too old to learn something new ... but that's another discussion .... but, as I said in my previous post, PLEASE have a section on how to use the new version - both for main PCs and tablets/phones.
    I can't imagine a life without cheese. (Nigel Slater)
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    Please keep it accessible from a desktop & not gone to rubbish like some others have. We don't all have massively expensive mobiles this is MSE after all!

Agreed.

I would estimate that over 95+% of my usage of MSE is "desktop" (OK actually a very old laptop) and only a tiny percentage on a tablet if I'm out and about.
    Think I've used a mobile to access just twice in "an emergency"
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • Former_MSE_Tine
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Thank you for all the comments and questions so far. Please keep them coming and we will compile an FAQ with as many answers to your questions as we can and post it up nearer the weekend :money:

MSE Tine

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter,
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
  • gm0
    gm0 Posts: 864 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's clunky but it works but still no surprise that at some point forum software migration is needed.

Yet in no circumstances should you break the desktop browser UX by chasing mobile friendly web uber alles. For goodness sake don't even consider an "app only" approach. Any mobile web "improvement" for small touch screens should be invisible to the desktop user base (different channel/style sheets) or pass a "does it make it worse on the desktop - ah yes - then don't do it - test. Level up not down.

By all means pick and configure a platform that improves the desktop UI (less clunky) but don't lie to yourselves that making it "Mobile like" is in any way an improvement. It just isn't. Don't be "those" digital developers who think their one size fits all.

And while you are at it challenge the provider and make sure the new platform has a good modern take on accessibility requirements - screen readers etc and that the navigation design is not needlessly hostile to these users in pursuit of softer goals such as looking funky on a mobile which is *less* important than reaching the partially sighted users with MSE content and commentary.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    There are places where improvement is due eg Energy where you can post under Water, LPG, solid fuel but not Gas or Electric. No wonder new users get confused.

What needs improving behind the scenes I don't know but overall I don't think its too bad - but never use tablet or phone versions. And yes the GREEN version format please
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • kpwll
    kpwll Posts: 4,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the site becomes unfit/unable to use/access on a desk-top or laptop, I won't be buying a new, *larger tablet or using a smartphone just to access this site.

Some people have difficulties reading/viewing items on small screens.
    * Mine is 7" and is rarely used because of it.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,429 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2019 at 3:16PM
    Options
    quoia wrote: »
    Not sure which MSE world you are frequenting BUT this already exists - been doing it for as long as I can remember being a member (over 15 years)

Not on the 'new' (blue) forum layout. Existing members were able to keep the old green style which had it, but the current blue one doesn't and as a recent member I don't have access to the green one. So, no 'jump to first unread post' for me and the myriad other more recent members.

Agree with these above who've asked for a guide how to use the site. I consider myself fairly tech-savvy but I still can't work out even basic things like multi-quote and I can't find a tech FAQ anywhere on here. The other forum I frequent (also vBulletin) has a couple of FAQs (one basic and one more in-depth) and a site support section, where members help each other out with the tech questions, no mods or admin privileges required.
  • kpwll
    kpwll Posts: 4,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not on the 'new' (blue) forum layout. Existing members were able to keep the old green style which had it, but the current blue one doesn't and as a recent member I don't have access to the green one. So, no 'jump to first unread post' for me and the myriad other more recent members.

Agree with these above who've asked for a guide how to use the site. I consider myself fairly tech-savvy but I still can't work out even basic things like multi-quote and I can't find a tech FAQ anywhere on here. The other forum I frequent (also vBulletin) has a couple of FAQs (one basic and one more in-depth) and a site support section, where members help each other out with the tech questions, no mods or admin privileges required.

If it's the same on the 'blue' version, for multi-quote click on the 'apostrophes' (next to the 'quote' button) for all the extra posts you want to include and the 'quote' button for the last post.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,429 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2019 at 3:52PM
    Options
    kpwll wrote: »
    If it's the same on the 'blue' version, for multi-quote click on the 'apostrophes' (next to the 'quote' button) for all the extra posts you want to include and the 'quote' button for the last post.

It's not the same, but thanks, I tried that principle based on my other forum experiences :)
    There are two buttons, quote and multiquote. I assumed it was multi multi multi then quote - no.
    Multi multi multi? - nope
    Multi multi multi reply? - no ...
    Multi multi multi go advanced? - no
    :wall:
    (I did try searching for it but still found nothing.)

Edit: I should add, I use the desktop site on my tablet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure