Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    binao wrote: »
    The above poster was asked if he would like his meter read every quarter.

Is this quarterly meter reading service only for EON customers who qualify.

Thank you for all replies.

Hello binao.

From PennineAcute's post, it looks like they're on the Priority Services Register (PSR). This is a record of any vulnerability or disability in a household that could be affected by a loss of power or gas.

Customers on the PSR have access to certain services that are suited to their particular circumstances or needs. This includes pre-arranged quarterly meter readings. This service also includes things like setting up a password to help protect against bogus callers; notification of planned supply interruptions; large print, Braille or talking bills if visually impaired; free annual gas safety checks; and a bill nominee scheme. There's more about the PSR on our website.

As PennineAcute has smart meters, there wouldn't usually be a need for pre-arranged quarterly readings as they'll be sent automatically by the meter. I suspect, as a change of supplier has taken place, the meters are the older type and haven't yet been updated to restore the smart features. If this is the case, our advisor will have offered quarterly readings in the interim.

Please let us know if you need to be on the PSR and are interested in any of the associated services I've mentioned. We'll be happy to sort these out for you.

Hope this explains binao.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Thank you, Malc. I have just checked the CEC and note the Eon tariff I might have considered, which was tagged with the caveat that a smart meter was compulsory, has now disappeared. Perhaps it has been withdrawn or perhaps it demonstrates the limited choices available to those delinquent in complying with energy companies' edicts about having the damned things.

Eon are certainly not alone in this; SSE do the exact same thing but the CEC has yet to update their tariff to this effect. I know because I called SSE to check this with a view to switching to them on Saturday and informed MSE the same day; I even received a reply on Sunday evening, which was impressive. I wonder if they will change their tune too...

Hello Smodlet.

What tariff were you looking at? I know we're currently refreshing some of our offers. Updates should be through a little later if you check the broker sites again then.

If it was a version of Fix Online, the new wording I mentioned yesterday should be in place. This will explain customers only agree to be contacted about smart meters.

Hope this helps Smodlet.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you, Malc. I am still considering and, since several of the big 6 seem to insist on these smart meters, it kinda levels the playing field again.
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Where are the Eon reps? Both on leave? I have questions.
    Options
    Thank you, Malc. I am still considering and, since several of the big 6 seem to insist on these smart meters, it kinda levels the playing field again.
    Where are the Eon reps? Both on leave? I have questions.

Hello Smodlet and sorry we weren't around earlier. I've been on leave and Helena has been delayed on other work. I've just replied to a question from you on another thread at the link below.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=76017301&highlight=eon#post76017301

Was this your question or is there something else? Let me know if there is as happy to help.

Thanks Smodlet.

Malc
  • Smodlet
    Options
    No, thank you, Malc; your answer on the other thread was perfectly satisfactory. Sorry if I seemed to be stalking you!
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello Terry98 and thanks for your interest in joining us.

I can't give a guarantee that your smart meters will continue to work as smart following a switch to us. Secure Liberty meters are among the makes we've used in the past and I suspect there's a good chance they'll continue as smart once you transfer to us. There could be circumstances that might stop this and we wouldn't be aware of these until we have control of the meter following the switch.

Later this year, we're starting to update SMETS1 meters so they can be managed in the same way as SMETS2. At this point, any smart features that might've been lost will be restored. This is done remotely and we won't need to visit your home. It also covers smart meters we didn't install and now supply.

Sorry I can't give you a definite guarantee Terry98.

Malc

Hi Malc, Since we moved to Eon our smart meters have become dumb and we had our meters read for the first time in years yesterday. Is there any progress in making our meters smart again?
    Options
    No, thank you, Malc; your answer on the other thread was perfectly satisfactory. Sorry if I seemed to be stalking you!

Great stuff Smodlet. Don't worry, I don't feel stalked. :)

Malc
    Options
    Terry98 wrote: »
    Hi Malc, Since we moved to Eon our smart meters have become dumb and we had our meters read for the first time in years yesterday. Is there any progress in making our meters smart again?

Hello Terry98 and thanks for joining us.

We're looking to start upgrading most of our earlier SMETS1 smart meters to SMETS2 later this year. We're currently in the middle of a trial. These updates will be done remotely and will mean SMETS1 meters can be managed in the same way as SMETS2 including being able to send us readings automatically.

As well as upgrading the SMETS1 meters we installed, we're also doing the same with meters installed by other suppliers and where the customer has switched to us.

There will be some early smart meter installations (mainly from 2014 and before) where an upgrade won't be possible. In these cases, we'll offer customers new SMETS2 meters.

Hope this explains Terry98. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Malc.

Look forward to being smart again and not have to crawl under cupboards just to read the meter.

Reading the meter manually is so 20th century.

I am off to get my tin hat!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure