On-grid domestic battery storage

Options

Comments

• orrery
    orrery Posts: 808 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    That said, I can see how a joint venture between the DNO's and pro-sumers (producer/consumers) like us could have financial benefits for everyone, so keep my fingers crossed for more (and better) offerings.

But ...... I really want a battery to play with!

Oh, me too. I think that I'd like to see 3kW discharge though - with washing machines and dishwashers and kettles taking 2.2kW and a level of background for the house, I'd say that was a minimum.

Similarly, the graphs (which were very helpful) we have seen recently indicate the need for a charge level of 3kW too - again that for me (with a 4kWp PV system), less the background consumption, would seem the minimum.

Further, with 3kW charge rate and economy 7, the ideal battery capacity would seem to be at least 21kWh minimum - roughly the same figure would be indicated for sinking (almost) a full day's PV generation.

Sounds expensive.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • Coastalwatch
    Coastalwatch Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    That said, I can see how a joint venture between the DNO's and pro-sumers (producer/consumers) like us could have financial benefits for everyone, so keep my fingers crossed for more (and better) offerings.

But ...... I really want a battery to play with!

Well, I've got a 40 kWh battery on the drive and it's quite capable of delivering all our domestic overnight needs. It can be charged either from solar only or E7, and is capable of discharging back into the house. All we need is a cost effective means of achieving it. Vehicle to grid is all very well but surely by using our excess storage from the car to only run our domestic needs then demand on the grid at peak times would also be reduced!:(
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    orrery wrote: »
    The danger here is that those who can't do the sums will be sucked in to make an investment without understanding the basics -
    You're ignoring the smugness quotient. I know my PW2 doesn't make sense financially but I like to see how much of my solar it stops going to the grid. And, I can brag about it to anybody who will listen.

I am quite sure that solar + batteries will be cost effective in a few years and I like to think that as an early adopter, I am doing my bit to help the development of these technologies.

And lastly, later in the year, Tesla will update hardware & software so that I can go off grid in the unlikely event of a power cut.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,800 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, I've got a 40 kWh battery on the drive and it's quite capable of delivering all our domestic overnight needs. It can be charged either from solar only or E7, and is capable of discharging back into the house. All we need is a cost effective means of achieving it. Vehicle to grid is all very well but surely by using our excess storage from the car to only run our domestic needs then demand on the grid at peak times would also be reduced!:(

That solves the problem especially if we can get an all encompassing energy policy to make best use of it.

If say, my house is generating and pumping out to the grid (no batts) but you are in work and the car is plugged into a smart charger and told to make use of cheap excess daytime leccy, then you charge up at a good price, then discharge in the evening.

Between us all, the excesses from RE can be managed, and the shortfalls in supply / peaks in demand can be addressed too.

All in all, I think things are looking really good and nothing too complicated is needed. The chargers will need to be intelligent, but how hard can that be, so the only 'problem' is persuading folk to buy massive expensive batteries, but that's going to happen as a natural shift to EV's anyway.

The future in this area is looking extremely positive.

BTW, for an 'about' 100% RE future leccy grid with higher demand (electrification of cars and heating) the UK will need about 500GWh of leccy storage ...... scary big number ....... or about 10m EV's ..... not so scary now!
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • orrery
    Options
    Well, I've got a 40 kWh battery on the drive...

Well, you might have, but isn't the whole idea of a domestic battery system to store solar energy generated during the day when you are out driving your EV and then using it to charge your EV overnight?
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • Coastalwatch
    Options
    Well, you might have, but isn't the whole idea of a domestic battery system to store solar energy generated during the day when you are out driving your EV and then using it to charge your EV overnight?
    With this being the Green and Ethical section then charging with "cheap" E7 energy when 70% of it is made up of CCGT & Nuclear makes it difficult to reconcile!

Because of the above I'd never been convinced that EV's were paticularly green. It was only when it dawned upon me that we could make one so by charging totally from a Solar system installed on our property that we made the decision to go down that route.

Being fortunate in that we can charge our EV (or a storage battery if we had one) on 100% green solar energy during daytime hours then charging by alternate means, be it E7 or otherwise comes a very poor second. I appreciate that if you need the EV for work and away from home all day then what I'm advocating may not be plausible.

We all have differing lifestyles and goals. I merely made the point that for us our EV could fill more than it's original purpose and that V2G may not suit everyone.:)
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Options
    With this being the Green and Ethical section then charging with "cheap" E7 energy when 70% of it is made up of CCGT & Nuclear makes it difficult to reconcile!

Because of the above I'd never been convinced that EV's were paticularly green. It was only when it dawned upon me that we could make one so by charging totally from a Solar system installed on our property that we made the decision to go down that route.

I found this site that shows the different % and GW of each source. If you place a cursor over the graph for the last day it can show what is is for each half hour.

For example, at the moment, renewable energy is providing more than any other source to meet the demand.
  • orrery
    Options
    It was only when it dawned upon me that we could make one so by charging totally from a Solar system installed on our property that we made the decision to go down that route.

I'm glad that you've achieved such a thing - most people would find that impossible.

In the depths of winter a typical 4kWp system would generate less than 3kWh per day, with much of that going on the house background usage - so no real surplus for charging a car. Even in full summer, a 'typical' mixed cloudy/clear day would make it difficult to get 100% solar into the car (without spending even more money on a clever charger) and even that assumes that the EV is sat in the drive waiting to be charged during the day when most people would be heading out to drive their cars.

For most people with PV and an electric car, the "I charge my car from solar" is simply an aspiration which can't be supported by the data. For me E7 is far more sensible, using the PV to offset the background usage on peak rate, and subscribing to a renewable-only tariff.
  • Coastalwatch
    Options
    I'm glad that you've achieved such a thing - most people would find that impossible.
    For most people with PV and an electric car, the "I charge my car from solar" is simply an aspiration which can't be supported by the data. For me E7 is far more sensible, using the PV to offset the background usage on peak rate, and subscribing to a renewable-only tariff.
    Hi Orrery, that's quite understandable and well done in subscribing to the renewable tariff only. We've still to make that change but will take a fresh look at it when our fixed tariff ends in December.

Sadly there's no one size fits all!

At least we have renewable energy and the Nissan Leaf in common.:)
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,846 Forumite
    edited 29 July 2018 at 5:28PM
    Options
    NigeWick wrote: »
    You're ignoring the smugness quotient. I know my PW2 doesn't make sense financially but I like to see how much of my solar it stops going to the grid. And, I can brag about it to anybody who will listen.

I am quite sure that solar + batteries will be cost effective in a few years and I like to think that as an early adopter, I am doing my bit to help the development of these technologies.

I agree. I may be wrong but I imagine most of us on this forum are blokes and we like our tech and by not having a battery, some fancy graphs and other data to play with you are missing out on some of the fun. Come on, use a bit of man maths and you can justify to yourself that you need a battery just like I have done.

Last year I used man maths to justify ordering a new Golf GTE (PHEV) as I was being offered a great deal but having waited 8 months for delivery I scrubbed that and bought a 2016 Golf tdi and splashed the rest of what I would be spending on my new solar panels and battery - again applying man maths.

We all make decisions and like to be able to justify our rationale to our peers and critics. It is hard for the minority of us who have committed to batteries to justify why we have become early adopters to the battery doubters.

I decided to get a battery at the same time as panels because I thought it would save a few bob on VAT and maybe installation, and because I wanted one. I also thought that Gridshare might work.

I don t actually know exactly how much my battery cost as it was part of a system. If someone can tell me how much a 7.8 kw system (26 x 300w mono panels) on two roofs with 2 inverters and IBoost should cost then I can work out the true cost of the battery.

I re-read the Moixa blurb and if you sign up to Gridshare you get unlimited warranty and the batteries I am told are replaced when they fall to 70% (of what I am not too sure). If Gridshare takes off and Moixa are making good profit selling surplus energy to the grid then it is in their interests to replace the batteries with more efficient ones. So hopefully that removes the argument regarding degradation.

My man maths projects a return/saving of £200 pa from the battery for the first 3 years with hopefully more to come from the profit share. If Moixa stay in business and the warranty is honoured then I should be ok.

I might have got it wrong but at least I have a new toy to play with.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback