Forum Home» Green & Ethical MoneySaving

On-grid domestic battery storage - Page 41

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

On-grid domestic battery storage

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
1.9K replies 202.3K views

Replies

• CoastalwatchCoastalwatch Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link; very interesting. However, same as you, I would only really be interested in V2H so that I had some control over how much of the car storage was being used. Mainly to cover evening and overnight low use, and to stop importing when a cloud comes across when the washing machine is on.

Also, I may have misunderstood the figures, but it appears that OVO would charge you at normal rate to charge up the car, but only pay you about half of that when they export power from your car battery (and as Dave says, shortening the life of the battery).

Yes, the figures are a little confusing but according to OVO the 7p/unit is a net figure over and above what is paid for charging originally. However, to have your car shackled every weekday from 4-7pm and have approx 17 kWh's removed(to be replaced on a cheap overnight tariff) for the princely sum of 266 pounds annually isn't particularly attractive.

With regard to battery degradation then if Nissan are supporting it and the battery warranty(8years or 100k miles) would they be bound to replace any deficient cells that come to light as a result!

Have to confess my interest centred around the possibility of them not being bothered to take the charger away once the trial was complete. Admittedly they do state that only the installation is free with the charger being owned by a third party.
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Still waiting for V2H and home storage to become available at sensible cost.
  • tunneltunnel Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    But ...... I really want a battery to play with!
    Me too, just put in my latest readings(for import) and they've put my DD up as i'm not paying enough even though i've only imported 150kWh a month for the last 3 months. Now starting to wonder how much a battery will eat into that figure......decisions decisions:think:
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire
  • orreryorrery Forumite
    650 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    gefnew wrote: »
    Hi Savvy
    On a side note a smets2 smart meter will help as this does import as well as export in real time.

Not sure what you mean by 'real time' in this context, but my smart meter (certainly not Smets2) also meters export.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TL, SolarImmersion
    Nissan Leaf, TADO Central Heating control
  • gefnewgefnew Forumite
    178 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts
    Hi All
    Some more on battery storage soloutions.
    https://www.powervault.co.uk/
  • JKenHJKenH Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    gefnew wrote: »
    Hi All
    Some more on battery storage soloutions.
    https://www.powervault.co.uk/

I am impressed by the amount of information provided on their website.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, Nissan Leaf (plus some ICEs:) )
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • ASavvyBuyerASavvyBuyer Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link. https://www.drive-electric.co.uk/driveelectric-launches-vehicle-grid-charging-service-uk-homes-workplaces/

But useful to know which other cars currently have the right interface to make it possible.

For those that have EV's or have been researching them, which have you found are the best forums for finding out information about different makes & models?
    4kWp, W roof, 30° pitch, Solar Edge Inverter + Optimisers. South Wales Valleys, Installed Aug 2015. Octopus Go Faster Electric Tariff.
    Solic 200 Diverter, 2 x Ultra High Efficiency Air Conditioner/Heat Pumps, Kia Soul & Renault Zoe EV's & Ohme Charger.
  • CoastalwatchCoastalwatch Forumite
    1.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    For those that have EV's or have been researching them, which have you found are the best forums for finding out information about different makes & models?
    Hi ASB the forum below covers many makes, I've found it quite useful although not necessarily in comparing makes.

https://www.speakev.com/
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Still waiting for V2H and home storage to become available at sensible cost.
  • EricMearsEricMears Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi ASB the forum below covers many makes, I've found it quite useful although not necessarily in comparing makes.

https://www.speakev.com/

I'd second that although if you look at their general EV discussion pages there are a few threads that compare different models (alas, they take a bit of finding !).
    NE Derbyshire.
    4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    BEV : Nissan Leaf e+
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    11.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On-grid - yes.
    Domestic - MMMmmmmmmmmmmm not exactly, no.

But it all helps to prove the tech, establish a market ...... and bring down the piggin prices!

Kingfisher to cut grid import at B&Q centre by 31% with battery storage
    Currently, around 35% of generation from the centre’s 552 solar panels is exported to the grid. However the addition of a 756kW battery system will mean that 40% of the power generated by the solar panels can be stored and released back to the building to provide power during periods of peak pricing, or support overnight operations.

Kingfisher says the Samsung batteries, to be installed by Solarcentury, will reduce the site’s grid power consumption by 31% with some days seeing zero grid energy used on site.

B&Q DIY joke:

Get your batts
    pop around when it's quiet
    bring a ski mask

(some assembly required, fittings not included, final results may not meet expectations).
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • orreryorrery Forumite
    650 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    B&Q DIY joke:
    Get your batts
    pop around when it's quiet
    bring a ski mask

B&Q? You need to be careful in there mate.

I was standing between gardening and wood, when this B&Q sales guy walked over and said "You want decking?"

Luckily I got the first punch in.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TL, SolarImmersion
    Nissan Leaf, TADO Central Heating control