Money Moral Dilemma. Would you keep the lottery ticket?

Options

Comments

• northernlass_2
    Options
    Ah, but TBH it is, because the old man's pension money is his regular income that he has just cashed in - this is a winning lottery ticket that is an unexpected bonus.

Sorry guys, on the whole I'm a selfless caring person, but in this credit crunch world of debt and belt tightening it's dog eat dog for me I'm afraid.

I'm prob on the same wavelength as sharp_eyes said above - if she was still in the lift with me I MIGHT point it out to her, but there's no way I'd chase after her, probably only to receive a watery 'oh thanks very much' in return! Chances are she's minted anyway - I can't even afford a bl00dy ticket in the first place ( and no, I don't smoke, drink etc instead...)

You should look after something as important as a winning lottery ticket better than that!!!

*goes off to wait punishment in Hell!!!*

here here, i lost a lottery ticket which had 5 numbers on it, it was my own fault i should have been more careful with it, so i took it on the chin that someone else got my good fortune, it taught me to look after my things more carefully.
    but saying that if she was still in the lift when i saw it i would point it out to her if she had left i would not go looking for her.
    DFW red and green member
    Doing my best to lose weight and save money
  • debbsie
    debbsie Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I'd give it back to her too . . like someone said, 'What Goes Round, Comes Round' . . Although. I've found money in the street, and kept it . . and I've lost money in the street, and thought, ''Well I hope whoever found it, spent it wisely''

On another note, I have given ppl my all day bus ticket, when I have finished with it for the day, and of course, refused any money, saying, 'pass the deed on to someone else'.

(sound a bit like Pollyanna now, I assure you, I'm not)
    . . . there's debt you have to pay, and debt you can get away with . . know the difference . . they can't hang you for it!!!
  • Mum_of_5_2
    Mum_of_5_2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    If i saw someone drop something then i would definitely run after her. However if i found a ticket somewhere and had no idea of whose it was then i would hand it in to the police station, if after 6 weeks no one claims it, then it's yours anyway.
  • Glowboy
    Glowboy Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    debbsie wrote: »
    On another note, I have given ppl my all day bus ticket, when I have finished with it for the day, and of course, refused any money, saying, 'pass the deed on to someone else'.

Slightly OT, but if the ticket is marked as "not transferable" then to pass it on is fraud.

Any lawyers out there who can tell us whether by dropping the ticket the woman in the lift relinquishes ownership? My suspicion is that she doesn't, hence anyone who purposely keeps it would be committing theft.
  • TiaCat
    TiaCat Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I would try and return it to her. But I would be constantly wondering "what if" for about 6 months.
  • North_London_girl_2
    Options
    No way would I keep it!
    Not if I knew who it belonged too. That's just awful!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Come on folks. Be honest. How many of you who said you would keep the winning ticket would winge like hell at the dishonesty of others if THEY had lost a winning ticket and somebody else had walked off with the cash.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If I knew who had dropped it, I would return anything I found on the floor of value to its rightful owner.
    Not a moral dilemma at all.

I only wish I had the courage to return things that are not of any value to their rightful owners who'd dropped them too!
  • jacquie3167
    jacquie3167 Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    Options
    greenstick wrote: »
    I couldn't keep it if I knew who's it was

If I found the ticket in the street without knowing who it belonged to, I'd pick it up and check the numbers. If it turned out to be a winner, fantastic.

Same here!
    There's no way I could keep it if I knew who it rightfully belonged to. I would do my best to find her (even if it meant waiting at the exit doors for her to emerge.)

However, if I found it on the street and it had no address details on the back and no obvious owner I would be happily cash it in.
    Eleventh Heaven No. 321
  • pjapk
    pjapk Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone that doesn't immediately scribble their name & address on the back of a (serious) winning ticket is a fool! I'm with the camp that would give it back if I'd noticed it whilst she was there, but wouldn't move heaven & earth to get it back to her...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure