Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 28th Jan 13, 4:58 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Solarplicity: Add your feedback
    • 28th Jan 13, 4:58 PM
    Solarplicity: Add your feedback 28th Jan 13 at 4:58 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Solarplicity (previously LOCO2 Energy)

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 26-07-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 12
    • Jakubk
    • By Jakubk 7th Dec 18, 11:06 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Jakubk
    I have followed their formal complaints procedure and written to their CEO, I have read receipts but got nothing despite continuing to complain for 3 months. It was only when I CC'ed OFGEM ConsumerAffairs@ofgem.gov.uk that they finally responded but the person replying clearly had no clue and did not deal with the issues.

This company is simply not fit for purpose.

I did manage to get put through to someone at OFGEM and they said they are looking into Solarplicity after a lot of complaints, they encouraged me to put my complaint on Trustpilot as it seems that TrustPilot verify that you are are a customer, so they know they are genuine.

Personally I have seen so many negative reviews on Trustpilot I wonder how anyone puts up with this company

I thought your balance was able to be to transferred to your new supplier or is that only when they go bust.

Solarplicity has already had one of it's companies with winding up proceeding brought against it by HMRC so one wonders about them.

I have never dealt with a company that is so consistently poor at customer service, in fact I do not think they understand the concept. I think OFGEM should stop them taking on new customers until they can show they are resolving problems and have turned around their situation.

Employing a great South African call centre but not giving them the ability to even enter my readings after the portal has refused to take them 4 times is clearly insufficient. It is a massive waste of money to use them as a glorfied message taking service, the whole idea is to get them to deal with processes that solve customer problems, not just change the route of complaint from email, phone to call centre.

Here is their complaints procedure which is useless and unresponsive, just another way to kick it into long grass; I find their ombudsman useless too (no teeth) I am taking them to Court.

https://solarplicity.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Complaints-Handling-Procedure_AW.pdf

Good Luck
    • Maxie01
    • By Maxie01 10th Dec 18, 3:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Maxie01
    Probably the worst company that I have ever dealt with, literally! I am not one to complain but Solarplicity simply has to be written about!
    Given that I work long hours I tend to use email where possible to communicate. Well, not with Solarplicity I dont! Probably no less than ten emails have gone totally ignored. I didn't even get any bills for around 7 months,but they did of course carry on taking the DD. I currently have two seperate compensation claims outstanding with them for missed appointments by engineers. Each time I phone up I am told that it will be escalated and the claim will be paid yet months later, still nothing! Also because I didn't receive bills for months I didn't get informed that they put their prices up quite a lot!!! The only thing that could be said for them originally was that they were cheap. Now they are not even that. It is a company that people need to avoid because honestly, I have never come across a company this bad in all my 43 years on this planet. It really really is bad.
    • fsilva
    • By fsilva 21st Dec 18, 1:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fsilva
    Worst company ever!
    I am waiting for 10 weeks to receive the credit that I have. I requested to close the account on the 6th Oct, but they still took money out from me on the 1st November.

I called on the 3rd November, 23rd November, 20 December and 21st December telling them that either they give my money or I will escalate to OFGEM.

They don't seem worried with that!

Besides, the credit is lower than what I should get because they are using their own estimated meter reading instead of the one I gave them when closing the account.
    • FestiveJoy
    • By FestiveJoy 21st Dec 18, 2:21 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    FestiveJoy

I called on the 3rd November, 23rd November, 20 December and 21st December telling them that either they give my money or I will escalate to OFGEM.

They don't seem worried with that!...
    Originally posted by fsilva
    Sounds like empy threats.
    You have already appeared to make 3 to the company that you failed implement.

The supplier will also be completely aware that Ofgem doesn't deal with consumer complaints, so it's an empty threat even if you had tried.

Perhaps if you wish to make a complaint, you will now follow the supplier's complaint procedure; something the supplier has because, not least, Ofgem mandates them to have.
    • Wavingfish
    • By Wavingfish 27th Dec 18, 3:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wavingfish
    Still owed £££'s
    Looks like I'm in the same boat as several other people. I am owed over £200+. (I was only with Solarplicity having switched to them via the MSE cheap energy club). I have now left Solarplicity. My new supplier has given them a final reading. I asked for my money back. They state they should have to have an "Actual" reading from them. Lookings at my last bill it states it was a Actual reading, not an Estimate. I say It is according to your bill. He says no, that means its an estimated reading. I query how can it be an estimatred reading when it quite clearly states is a Actual reading? Customer services representaive starts telling me I'm not understanding. I query this with my new supplier, they say Solarplicity has been provided with a final reading by them, and they should accept it.

Update - After posting a review on TrustPilot with the above infomation I got a response from Solarplicity, witihin a day I think - and I got my money back, a day or two later. I stil haven't got my missing statement, but I'm happy with the outcome.
    Last edited by Wavingfish; 06-01-2019 at 8:41 AM. Reason: Update outcome
    • Crazy Dave
    • By Crazy Dave 7th Jan 19, 5:47 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Crazy Dave
    In same position
    I'm in the same position right now, they have flatly refused to refund my credit and to make things worse they added an estimated reading for my electric bill which was double my average use one month after I had given them the final reading.
    Total scam artists, I even explained my circumstances (lost my esa so currently no income) but they couldn't have cared less.
    Currently going through resolver as I can't cope with dealing with this myself.

You've been warned.
    Last edited by Crazy Dave; 07-01-2019 at 5:49 PM.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 7th Jan 19, 7:53 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 512 Thanks
    wavelets
    I'm in the same position right now, they have flatly refused to refund my credit and to make things worse they added an estimated reading for my electric bill which was double my average use one month after I had given them the final reading.
    Total scam artists, I even explained my circumstances (lost my esa so currently no income) but they couldn't have cared less.
    Currently going through resolver as I can't cope with dealing with this myself.

You've been warned.
    Originally posted by Crazy Dave
    You do not appear to be in the same position at all, sorry.

Going through resolver simply adds a third party to the complaint process, which I fear will only add to your inability to cope.

If the supplier has already "flatly refused to refund " your credit, I fear that is not going to change until you address the issue the supplier obviously has with your account to have " flatly refused " you in the first instance.

Welcome to MSE, btw
    Last edited by wavelets; 07-01-2019 at 7:56 PM.
    • pauljaggard
    • By pauljaggard 8th Jan 19, 4:45 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pauljaggard
    Almost like they don't want to give you your money back
    Just to chime in with much the same story as many other commenters above.

LoCO2 customer for several years - was very happy with them.
    LoCO2 got taken over by Solarplicity, all ok initially.

Had a smart meter sort-of-installed by Solarplicity: new meter, but it's not sending readings automatically, and I've no display or anything for it. So it's a dumb meter to all intents. Promised a return visit to sort, but never heard back from them.

Prices got hiked in October, so jumped ship. No problems there, final bill arrived two weeks later, followed by a "final statement" the following day. £124 in credit.

After two months with no sign of that £124 reappearing, contacted them via e-mail and got a response promising a reply within 48 hours.

One month later finally get through to them on the phone, very dodgy sounding call centre. Lots of questions for "security" - account number, name, address, and answer to security question and my phone number and my date of birth - to the extent that I'm wondering if their phone number has lapsed, been picked up by scammers, and I'm providing all my personal info to someone I shouldn't.

Asked for the refund, got put back on hold for several minutes. Then told refund has been arranged, but will take 10 working days. Queried why it hadn't been refunded already - "because you didn't ask for it".

So, in summary:
    - they keep your credit balance after leaving unless you ask for it back
    - email sent to them is acknowledged and then ignored
    - calling via phone (0333 0044 666) seems to be the only route, and you'll spend ages on hold
    - and you still have to wait another two weeks for your money. ** a bit longer than that; see below

LoCO2 were great; wouldn't recommend Solarplicity to anyone, though.
    Last edited by pauljaggard; 04-02-2019 at 8:36 PM.
    • pauljaggard
    • By pauljaggard 23rd Jan 19, 4:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pauljaggard
    Quick update: oddly enough, 11 working days into the "within 10 working days" period, still no sign of any repayment.

Update update: Ok, I've now been round this loop several times - three times I've been promised a refund, and three times the refund has failed to materialise. I'll be phoning them again tomorrow so I can be lied to again.
    Last edited by pauljaggard; 04-02-2019 at 8:35 PM.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 24th Jan 19, 7:57 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Not one of my best moves.

Apllied for a switch and they ended up switching and charging a neighbour!
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
    • Muhren
    • By Muhren 27th Jan 19, 11:54 AM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 2,973 Thanks
    Muhren
    I siwtched to them as they offered the best deal, I have recently switched away from them after around 9 months. I wouldn't recommend them, as during my short time with them, they cancelled my direct debit, which I tried to setup again but it never got sorted, so I had to login and pay manually every month. Could never get through to them on the phone, they then raised their prices so I switched to one of the big six.

I switched in November and they have sent me my final bill, I am in credit for a nominal amount. I emailed them to have it refunded and wass told I needed to phone up their customer service team. In their defence they answered quickly and have actioned the refund. It seems they have improved on that front since I have left.
    LBM: Dec 2012 - Debt £38,180/ Now £0.
    DFD - 17/04/2016

Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing from something.

• brads39
    • By brads39 7th Feb 19, 2:26 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    brads39
    They auctioned my refund in May last year, still waiting.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 7th Feb 19, 10:31 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 512 Thanks
    wavelets
    Originally posted by brads39
    That would have changed after your actions in August

Thanks, TSB are refunding last direct debit from Feb. I am still about seven quid out of pocket but i will live with that.
    • Jakubk
    • By Jakubk 8th Feb 19, 7:37 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Jakubk
    Solarplicity LIES and THEFT
    This company REALLY needs to be investigated by OFGEM or at least not be allowed to take on new customers until the CEO has been booted because the problems here come from the top down.

The company is still unable to issue proper bills,

The portal does not allow me to put in my readings

The South African Call Centre can't even put my readings in

The system issues bills prematurely before the anniverary of my joining and before I can put my readings in (assuming the portal decides to work).

My Gas and Electricity are not even billed on the same date, this is after they did not bill me for 5 MONTHS and only billed me because I called them concerned that I would be running up debt.

I am told by the SA call centre who are nothing more than a message taking service that they forward my complaint to Billing, Head Office or whoever, I NEVER get a response. EVERY MONTH we have the same BS, I call them to try and sort things out, they DO NOTHING.

Solarplicity made a core promise "Standing Charges we don't believe in them" well this was a complete LIE, they then wrote to me telling me that they were moving me to a new tariff WITH STANDING CHARGES, the letter was backdated by over 2 weeks. I wrote rejecting this change as they had breached the 30 day notice. THEY DID NOTHING, NO REPLY NO ENGAGEMENT NOTHING.

NOW to add insult to injury they have lied and cheated me out of the FREE LIGHT BULBS they PROMISED me when I signed up.

On the front end of the website they promised FREE LED's bulbs, BTW I am sure they breached OFGEM rules by making an 11% deduction off their estimate of my usuage, there is no way that a few light bulbs will reduce a bill by 11% especially when most people are already using low watt bulbs.

So once you sign up you are told that if you do not stay for a year they reserve the right to charge you £30 for the LED bulbs so I waited until I was with them for a year.

I then called them asking for my FREE LED light bulbs, first they told me that they have changed supplier and cannot provide them and have no date when they can fulfil their promise, not a week, not a month, not a year, they would not commit. Then they said that they can't send them because they have moved my Tariff !!!

I kid you not, this is the WORST company I have EVER come across, incompetent does not begin to describe it.

The thing about standing charges was not a Tariff thing, it was a core value of who they were and what they were about.

I could sign up for their fixed tariff but it is literally only £10 difference UNLESS you agree to sign up for one of their really dumb meters. Reviews from other customers show that these do not work and it appears that Solarplicity are only installing them to get some sort of grant or rebate.

The feedback I get from reading the reviews is that the smart meters do not even connect to their computer system so you still have to give them reading that they refuse to take via their portal or via the phone.

The amount of administation of this company is costing me around £80 a month, I have complained to their CEO, also to the aptly named head of complaints, one Mia Patience, I have their read receipts but NOTHING!

I had told Solaplicity that I DO NOT WANT A SMARTMETER, I asked them to make a note on my accounr, but still they called me asking me if I wanted one. So I started reading the Trustpilot reviews to them and asked them "would you want one" they said sorry and said they would put a do not call on the system. Then they called me again that afternoon, it was the same person, I did actually pity her because she was obviously just using their NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE PORTAL SYSTEM.

There is no customer service at Solarplicity, barely an hour goes by when there is not a fresh negative review on Trust Pilot, there are THOUSANDS of negative reviews, the only reason there are not more is that Trustpilot only shows the last 12 months of negative reviews.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/solarplicity.com

As I wtite this these are the three from the last 2 hours

Solarplicity lie on the phone

Solarplicity lie on the phone. Do not join Solarplicity they have owed me a refund since November 2018. Repeated phone calls and e mails are either fobbed off or ignored. Fed up with the number of times I have been promised payment in ten working days, just lies.

Clive Walters
    I have never had such a terrible experience

I have never had such a terrible experience with a utility company. I still have an account even though I moved out of the property and now have a large debit. I have rung, emailed, all to no avail. The person who moved into the property has a large credit but unable to post readings. So 2 accounts active for the same property. What a farce!

Madeleine Clarke
    Absolutely diabolical service

Absolutely diabolical service! AVOID at all costs. Have been with them for almost a year - despite sending many meter readings they have never once issued a bill so my account remains £100ís in credit. They also wonít provide the final meter reading to my previous energy company meaning they canít refund me the balance on my account with them from March 2018. Have sent so many emails and now just get ignored. Will be changing companies straight away and would urge everyone else to stay well away from this company.

Customer
    • brads39
    • By brads39 8th Feb 19, 10:12 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    brads39
    That would have changed after your actions in August
    Originally posted by wavelets
    Unfortunately they refused my claim as Solarplicity aren’t in the DD Gaurantee schene, still waiting.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 9th Feb 19, 12:01 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 512 Thanks
    wavelets
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=75434333&postcount=23
    • brads39
    • By brads39 9th Feb 19, 12:18 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    brads39
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5646709&page=24
    • hahnchen
    • By hahnchen 27th Feb 19, 11:20 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    hahnchen
    I left them when they implemented a standing charge in October. I still have no been refunded the credit on my account.

Their customer service team is useless. You get through quickly on the phone, but all they do is take your details so that you can be called back later. Shame they never call back later.
    • Inigo Montoya
    • By Inigo Montoya 27th Feb 19, 11:29 AM
    • 790 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    Inigo Montoya
    I left them when they implemented a standing charge in October. I still have no been refunded the credit on my account.

Their customer service team is useless. You get through quickly on the phone, but all they do is take your details so that you can be called back later. Shame they never call back later.
    Originally posted by hahnchen
    the initial taking your details call is just a way for them to look like they are answering calls quickly to the regulator - its fake because they only take details for a callback

one of the many reasons they have been banned from taking on new customers is because of historical call waiting times so they have got round it by now answering quickly & only taking details for a call back which may or may not happen depending on their workload

no new customers is what happened to IRESA before they were ordered to cease trading

Ive left them too, fortunately I owe THEM money because I was canny enough to cancel my direct debit when I saw all the problems people were having reclaiming account credit

However due to a billing error which I have been trying to rectify since april 2018 I have not paid the final bill yet - Ive had to contact the ombudmans to try to resolve it - if they try to send the debt collectors after me I will simply refer them to my ombudsman complaint to show the debt is disputed
    Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 27-02-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    • Muhren
    • By Muhren 27th Feb 19, 4:54 PM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 2,973 Thanks
    Muhren
    Surprisingly mine never turned up either.
    LBM: Dec 2012 - Debt £38,180/ Now £0.
    DFD - 17/04/2016

Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing from something.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,131Posts Today

5,991Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The maths is wrong. Even if MPs weren't given a penny by the state in salary or expenses, it'd save a trivial count? https://t.co/Kgskcjd6eG

• What an utterly depressing watch this is. I think the MP handles it as well as possible. Good on him for not just t? https://t.co/LrSY56HbPA

• RT @Caitch22: @MartinSLewis Maybe the cheap housing, final salary scheme generation that want to tax the young should pay for their own car?

• Follow Martin