The Great 'cheap Numbers To Dial Home' Hunt.

Options

Comments

• Richard_NN
    Options
    Does anyone know of an inexpensive way of calling UK from South Africa?
  • mariauk
    mariauk Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone

Has anyone got any ideas on the cheapest way to call a uk mobile form the states( landline or mobile) Ta

Maria :D
    :drool: :dance: Timberlake Hussy Clique Member No 3 :dance: :drool:
  • RadioactiveFrog
    Options
    mariauk wrote:
    Hi everyone

Has anyone got any ideas on the cheapest way to call a uk mobile form the states( landline or mobile) Ta

Maria :D
    Hi there,
    it can depend on what mobile network you are ringing, eg orange, t-mobile... which one are you planning on ringing? Maybe that could give you a better answer!

Cheers

Graham
  • mariauk
    mariauk Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi there,
    it can depend on what mobile network you are ringing, eg orange, t-mobile... which one are you planning on ringing? Maybe that could give you a better answer!

Cheers

Graham
    Hi Graham

It would be TMobile, Thanks
    :drool: :dance: Timberlake Hussy Clique Member No 3 :dance: :drool:
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    Options
    chris_k wrote:
    Does anyone know what the cheapest way is phoning home from Thailand and Sri Lanka? Has anyone had any experience of buying a PAYG SIM card in Thailand recently. I understand that they are registering all new and existing SIMs as part of an anti-terror law - therefore I am unsure if foreigners are allowed to buy them.

There are no restrictions on foreigners buying PAYG SIM cards in Thailand.
    A direct call to a landline or mobile, using the prefix 00944 costs around 11p per min.
    http://www.happydprompt.com/en/services/international/idd.html
    http://www.happydprompt.com/en/index.html
  • Iffy_Wallet
    Iffy_Wallet Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry - not had chance to try it out, but:
    http://www.spainsim.com/vodmovicallcards.htm
    a) buy a vodafone SIM card (or if you already have one, use it) and change the calling plan you are on to the "Tiempo Libre" plan (for how to change your vodafone SIM card's calling plan, see the "plans/rates" page by clicking HERE).
    or-

b) buy an amena SIM card (or if you already have one, use it) and change the calling plan you are on to the "plan joven" (for how to change your amena SIM card's calling plan, see the "plans/rates" page by clicking HERE).

2) Once you are on one of the calling plans mentioned above your calls anywhere in Spain will cost you just 12 cents/min. weekdays after 4pm and all weekend long. So, when you dial the access number for the "eurodirect" card (912 910 067) you will lose 12 cents/min. from your vodafone or amena SIM card call balance and under 1 cent/min. from the "eurodirect" card for a total of less than 13 cents/min. (+ 12 cent connection fee/call removed from your SIM by vodafone or amena).

EVEN MORE ADVANTAGES: In addition to using it from your cell phone, the "eurodirect" card can be used 24 hours a day via a toll-free access number (just dial "900 806 084" or quick access "1700") from any private landline* (home, hotel, etc...) in Spain to call back to USA, Canada, Europe, etc... for JUST 2 cents/min with NO CONNECTION FEES making it the ALL PURPOSE prepaid calling card.

* Rate from public payphones is 14 cents/min.
    Good Luck

(I have no financial connection with these companies)
    [ Eat, Drink and be Merry - for tomorrow we get the bill ]
  • Mumsie
    Mumsie Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I want to phone South Africa cheaply. Can anyone suggest how?
    Charles J
  • bennyvdb
    bennyvdb Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote:
    Calling overseas from the UK is cheap (see CallChecker) but while abroad it costs a fortune to call home. Yet cheap dial numbers are springing up in other countries too - so I want to tap MoneySavers collective research power to list and find these numbers, from as many countries as possible.

Some starting hints:

1. Use Skype if you've an internet connection. You can call anyone else with a PC for free using internet telephony while you're abroad, providing of course you're both connected to the internet. This is the cheapest way to do it. See Free International Calls From Your PC.

Is it Mac friendly tho'?

2. Use a Calling Card: One of the cheapest systems is to use a calling card bought either there or before you go. There's a new card called the Buzz Card (www.buzzcard.co.uk) which is useful or there are search engines you can use (for those see Cheapest Way to call home) article

3. Using your mobile: Use a normal mobile and you'll pay a fortune. However there are ways to cut the cost of using your mobile whilst overseas. See Cheapest Way To Roam Article. However cheap dial numbers from normal phones should beat it.

What I'm Looking For

This is all about collecting direct dial numbers you can call when overseas, which put you through to a cheap provider to call home.

It's important to note this is the standard dial rate, so if you are dialling from a hotel phone, they normally add a fortune for doing so - thus a payphone is better.

E.g http://www.dialabroad.co.uk/spain/
    allows you to call home from spain for E0.04/minute. From Italy there is www.easycall.it
    If you know of any more please put them here, just click reply.
    Bennys from sunny Manchester
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to use VoIP, why not use https://www.voipbuster.com you can call many countries for free.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • bob76_2
    bob76_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    https://www.hongkongcall.com

i received a text from this company sometime back. website doesn't state contact details so cannot guarantee authenticity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure