PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Very late today. Slept till 9.30 had a shower and breakfast and 2 long, lovely phone catch ups with a couple of friends.
    That's the excuses for today.

I'm just about to cook the chicken tangly pie from Hairy Dieters. Because Im worth it.

FairyP. It's amazing how living in a sensible way and not spending money that you don't have, brings its reward. You will have a dear house with a garden, a real home. And all because you have worked and waited. Well done you.

THOUGHT FOR SUNDAY

Everything that has a beginning has an ending.
    Make your peace with that and all will be well. (Buddha)
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good luck to you FPK, my DD had the same wake up call when she went for a mortgage. She no longer thinks her peers have all the good stuff, just says 'they must be in a lot of debt'!

It's blowing a hoolie outside, glad I'm all tucked up on the settee watching films!
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 January 2018 at 10:27PM
    Options
    Burtha congratulations on your new grandson.

I am so glad to see you post even if things aren't the best for you right now...I often think of you and wish you all the best.

I hope your solicitor is working hard on your behalf...you should expect to get well over half of everything.
    3mw (or was it 2?) just deserves a slap around the face.

Take care of yourself though..you ain't wonder woman and you need to look after you too Burtha xxx

FairyPrincessk I have always lived within my means, and that means very frugally. If I can't afford it, I don't have it. It's as simple as that.

I put a blanket over me if I'm cold, fill a hot water bottle, make a hot drink rather than put the heating on for example. I don't have a car because I can't afford to run one...I can walk places and yes it's a pita but the bottom line is, a car is beyond my means.

I have never been in debt until recently and it is through no fault of my own:(.

I haven't frittered away money on unimportant things, like cars, new kitchens, takeaways etc.

No, my debt has been none of my making and that is the hardest part about it. I will not rest until it is paid off which will take at least 6 more months.

I've mentioned before that this 2nd hand laptop is really on it's last legs. It took 4 attempts to get it to start tonight.
    But I won't even think about buying a new one until the debt is gone.

The internet is my 'thing'. I don't watch TV much, I don't/never go out :o...I'd be lost without the internet and especially you lovely lot on this board :)

How sad am I:o (don't answer that:p)

I've not had the best of weekends and have been donning my carers hat again for the last week....maybe I'll be rewarded at some later date by someone looking after me:o...I live in hope:)

:A xx
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Karcher I am so glad to hear from you. Look after yourself.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    (((HUGS))) Karcher. thinking of you xx
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karcher - it's great to hear from you. I know that your situation is, and has been getting you down, but it sounds as if you are in the final stretch of dealing with the debt now and hopefully after that you will be able to move on. Remember, we're all here for you, and we're hear to listen, not judge. So if you ever want to share your story, you know that we will be on your side. In the meantime, just remember that we're all here, and we care about you and worry about you when you don't post.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Congrats Burtha! Lovely news. Hope you can take a moment to just chill with the little one, eh?

Karcher, good to 'see' you. Takes determination to sort out problems that are unjustly heaped on you, but you're succeeding :). I totally agree, this thread is amazing. The folks on it are so kind and supportive.

Today we took our Canadian friends to a cricket match. DH explained quite a lot to them, we told daft cricket-related stories and recounted the hilarity in the bbc commentary box when the commentator was naming the players in the key positions and famously said,
    "The bowler is Holding, the batsman's Willey".
    We still can't listen to the tape of Brian Johnston trying to keep commentating after his colleague described the fall of a wicket that had been knocked off by the batsman slipping as he tried to step over it, "He just couldn't get his leg over". They were laughing so hard they could barely breathe and it is infectious when you hear it. Daft, but good to hear such full on laughter.

We enjoyed the day, even though the local team lost.

Now we shall have supper of leftover HM chicken curry and veg, wrapped in a flatbread, nom, nom!

PS - last night we hosted the caribbean version of a cheese and wine party, cheese and rum! We blind-tasted 5 different ones*, gave them fancy descriptions like they do with vintage wines, ranked them on strength, preference and least-liked and voted for the over all winner. Then we ate assorted cheese and crackers and finished off the xmas fruit cake.
    We know how to live!
    *We even had a palate cleanser between drinks!

I may email the winning firm and tell them about it :D

Right, dinner calls. X
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • burtha
    burtha Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all, just back in a catching up on today , been on the go and out since 9 30 this morning, football ,ran , feed 1 child , ran with dogs ..It was quicker than walking lol , collected other child ,2 loads of washing, behind bar from 5 pm till now .... came in to teenager in tears over art homework, so having a coffee before I start on that ,sent her to bed ...honestly the stress of exam year at school is ridiculous .... Wish I could say tomorrow will be better but more to fit in on top of that ... fingers crossed the rest of the week has less on , but probably not .....
    Have asked solicitor if I can reclaim costs back from him ... waiting to hear back , seam to be counting to 10 quite a lot at the moment .... just keeping going is all I can do ... There is a thousand things I'm not getting done , but it's just tough .... not beating myself up to much about it .... life to complicated as it is
    Right time to start some art ....
    Take care everyone
    Xx
    £223/ £250 GC
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 January 2018 at 7:59AM
    Options
    Oh burtha, I had to smile at the thought of you doing art homework. My mother once wrote an essay for me and it came back marked 'excellent,' a very rare occurrence. I even had to show the headmistress, an august, regal figure. "Did you really write this?" she asked. "Oh yes," I lied. I feel as guilty today as I did then.

MMF you really are having a humdinger of a holiday. I can't imagine that you will ever be able to top this. I'd definitely tell the rum people about the tasting competition, they might send you a freebie in appreciation.

Camelot I thought about your hoolie last night when I put my bins out, and felt rather smug as I stood watching the calm sea and enjoying the gentle night air. Karma has paid me back. It's blowing a gale and the rain is lashing the windows this morning.

Karcher x

No plans for today but some housework and a bit more editing is on the cards.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Apparently when you treat people the way they treat you, they get offended.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just popping my head in to :wave: to Karcher - keep you head up chick x

Burtha I don’t know how you do it... as Monna said, look after yourself, you are the lynchpin x

MMF007 Sound like my sort of party :rotfl:

Blowing a gale here - hey ho, avoided it for long enough, must get off to work :o
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport