Budget - tougher for DLA claimants

Options

Comments

• Breast_Cancer_Survivor
    Options
    krisskross wrote: »
    Surely people learn to cope with with Aspergers etc. Obviously BCS has managed to live her adult life reasonably well and interacted with others as she has only been diagnosed fairly recently.

My husband is an insulin dependent diabetic. He won't ever 'grow out of it' but it is manageable.

I grew up thinking I was different to everyone else but not understanding why. Ive always struggled in social situations & have never managed to hold a job down. Ive suffered from depression on & off for 12 years & I have no friends so I wouln't say i'd coped reasonably well.

Being diagnosed with asperger's made everything fall into place & explained why I have always felt different.

I honestly don't know how it would of effected me if I hadn't had the worry of cancer to contend with though & I am hoping that once I can put it all behind me I can get on with my life & lead a relatively normal life.

I will always be prone to depression/anxiety but hopefully I will learn how to not let it take over my whole life.
    I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.
    Lucille Ball
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    All this anger just because I think that DLA medicals are a good idea and that people with genuine disabilities might be better off having their needs met directly rather than being given cash?

Perhaps some people might be getting a tad worried that their income stream might be going to dry up?
    Oi dragon lady I would be more than happy for you to educate my child :D
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • 24skins
    24skins Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps some people might be getting a tad worried that their income stream might be going to dry up?

With good reason - they rely on that money for their independence because of the obstacles that society put in their way - you only have to take a cursory glance at this thread to see the level of ignorance that people with genuine disabilities have to face on a day to day basis.
    Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Perhaps your posts would be easier to read if you had had ONW to teach you basic grammar and spelling.

Absolutely, I was thinking the same myself.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As regards Autism/Aspergers, although I believe it is a lifelong disability and that you don't 'grow out of it', I also believe that those towards the higher-functioning end of the spectrum (as in Asperger's Syndrome) can learn coping mechanisms to help them deal with things they find difficult.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • ash4becks
    ash4becks Posts: 589 Forumite
    Options
    All this anger just because I think that DLA medicals are a good idea and that people with genuine disabilities might be better off having their needs met directly rather than being given cash?

iam entilted to dla or i wouldnt get high care on low mob possible higher soon so no iam not worryed at all
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As regards Autism/Aspergers, although I believe it is a lifelong disability and that you don't 'grow out of it', I also believe that those towards the higher-functioning end of the spectrum (as in Asperger's Syndrome) can learn coping mechanisms to help them deal with things they find difficult.

That could be said for most disabilities. However, it still doesn't man they don't have needs that need to be addressed.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    24skins wrote: »
    With good reason - they rely on that money for their independence because of the obstacles that society put in their way - you only have to take a cursory glance at this thread to see the level of ignorance that people with genuine disabilities have to face on a day to day basis.

The question is though does a monthly cash payment really really help people with whatever they choose to call disabilities?

As I have said before my grandson receives LRC and LRM. He simply sees it as his spends. He pays for the SKY multiroom and then buys computer games with the rest. I honestly do not believe that over £150 a month should just be handed over with no checks on how it is spent. And the payments have made no difference at all to his MH issues.

No one gets ill any more, they apparently have varying disabilities for which they seek compensation.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The question is though does a monthly cash payment really really help people with whatever they choose to call disabilities?

For people who have to regularly buy disability related things (creams, wipes, etc) or have to pay for taxis everywhere, then yes. Where I am now, (Plymouth) only wheelchair users get help with th cost of taxis.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • ash4becks
    ash4becks Posts: 589 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely, I was thinking the same myself.

some people just dont get other peoples disabiltys now do they, i cant help the fact thats the way iam but theres no spell checker on here either to use

ok i cant spell well but i try and intend to get a degree to go with the gcses and levels i already have

i just think you being plain bullys just because my disablity is very apparent on the forums where others peoples arent
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure